Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told my wife when the storm broke at Penn State that it would kill him. Who knows how long he had if that hadn't happened, but I am pretty sure that it hastened his end by taking away his will to live. I hope he is remembered for the good that he did and not for the crimes of another.

·
Registered
548 Posts
RIP Joe Pa!!!!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Responsibility is the one kind of crap that rolls uphill. I feel bad for him, but I feel worse for 10 kids that were sexually abused by a pervert. If JP had any inkling that something unseemly was going on, it was his responsibility and the responsibility of the university to take action. If he didn't have an inkling, he should have. JP's woes are over, but those ten will have to live with the legacy of Penn State for the rest of their lives. I'm not about to lionize the guy because he won some football games. There are more important issues here.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Responsibility is the one kind of crap that rolls uphill. I feel bad for him, but I feel worse for 10 kids that were sexually abused by a pervert. If JP had any inkling that something unseemly was going on, it was his responsibility and the responsibility of the university to take action. If he didn't have an inkling, he should have. JP's woes are over, but those ten will have to live with the legacy of Penn State for the rest of their lives. I'm not about to lionize the guy because he won some football games. There are more important issues here.
Amen to that!! As a volunteer who works with kids, and as a part time employee of Ohio State University, I am required by law to report any suspected incidences of child abuse. BUT, I am required by morals and ethics to do whatever necessary to stop the abuse. I can't say beyond the reasonable shadow of a doubt, but had I witness abuse of any child, I'll call 911 - to come and get the freakin' body of the abuser.

Reactions: smithlock

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Well, I will always admire him as a football coach and more so for all the good he did in helping to develop his players into more than just football players. I think he made a grievous error in judgement relative to Jerry Sandusky and I do fault him for that. Had he chosen a different coarse of action, some of those kids that were molested might not have been. But, it isn't fair to judge the entire scope of an individuals life by one error in judgement. I say give the man his due; the sum total of good that came from this mans efforts far outweigh the bad, many times over.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I feel that Penn State was right in letting him go, but not the way they did it.

It's all psychology...as complicit as Paterno was, he wasn't as guilty as the people in charge or the perpetrator. But he was the only well known figure involved. Therefore, his immediate and unceremonious dismisal would be the best public display of "penance" by Penn State - proof to the world of how "sorry" they were.

But yes, he had a great responsibility that he shirked. And as others have said, the kids are the real victims in all of this. Very sorry all of this had to happen, and sorry to see Paterno's story end this way.

·
5,686 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. It's hard when someone you love dies and it isn't fair to his family to let it end the way it did. I can't imagine the grief and pain his loved ones must feel. Losing their loved one with such turmoil around him.

No man's entire life should be judged on one bad choice, while all the million good things are swept away. Let him be in peace now.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. It's hard when someone you love dies and it isn't fair to his family to let it end the way it did. I can't imagine the grief and pain his loved ones must feel. Losing their loved one with such turmoil around him.

No man's entire life should be judged on one bad choice, while all the million good things are swept away. Let him be in peace now.
I agree he did a lot of good. And my heart goes out to his family - on a number of levels. But make no mistake, he did not make just one bad choice. He got up every morning and chose not to do anything about a travesty he knew about. Making one bad choice is one thing, but making the same bad choice over and over again is not. One of the many things I try to teach kids is that YOU are responsible for your choices. Life is a series of choices. There are consequences for every choice you make. Some good and some not so good. And often the choices you make have long-term affects on those around you. While I admire Paterno and understand that he did a tremendous amount of good, he is still responsible for the choices he made ---- and didn't make.

Reactions: smithlock

·
5,686 Posts
I agree he did a lot of good. And my heart goes out to his family - on a number of levels. But make no mistake, he did not make just one bad choice. He got up every morning and chose not to do anything about a travesty he knew about. Making one bad choice is one thing, but making the same bad choice over and over again is not. One of the many things I try to teach kids is that YOU are responsible for your choices. Life is a series of choices. There are consequences for every choice you make. Some good and some not so good. And often the choices you make have long-term affects on those around you. While I admire Paterno and understand that he did a tremendous amount of good, he is still responsible for the choices he made ---- and didn't make.
I agree, he is responsible as are we all, big and small. It's between him and God, the only two who really know what happen. I can't stand and point my finger in disgust to anyone, I have no right as I myself am not perfect and never will be. No one knows what goes on in anyone's head when they encounter such things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts