Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sad reminder to check the local laws before you travel with a firearm, even an unloaded one, as it's supposedly a crime to bring in an unloaded firearm in NY. :confused:

When Bernie Goetz got convicted, his sentence was a year, so I guess they upped the sentencing since way back then? It hasn't stopped real criminals from using guns in crimes.

Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams was arrested Thursday night for trying to board his flight at LaGuardia Airport while carrying a handgun, according to Port Authority Police.

The incident happened around 9:15 p.m., and Williams, 22, was arrested for criminal possession of a weapon. He has a permit for the gun in Alabama, his home state.

The weapon is a Glock 19 pistol, according to police. It is unclear if the gun was loaded. It is also unclear where in the airport Williams was arrested.
New York has strict handgun possession laws, so Williams could be in deep trouble.
According to the website of Martin D. Kane, a Queens-based defense attorney:
The two basic charges are possession of a loaded handgun or possession of an unloaded handgun. In New York, even the possession of an unloaded operable handgun is a felony charge. Possession of a loaded handgun in New York has a minimum sentence of 3.5 years in prison. If you’re convicted of a loaded handgun in New York, you’re going to be sentenced to a minimum of 3.5 years in the state prison with a very small amount (about 1/7th of your time) reduced for good behavior. Other than that, you’re going to do the full sentence. So it’s an extremely serious charge.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/03/jet...-board-flight-laguardia-airport-with-gun.html

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
My brother was going though a ck point at an airport out west a few years back. Scanner had a ding on his suitcase....turned out to be a single .380 round somehow had fallen into his luggage. He got the 3rd degree but they finally let him go.

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Hey, when I travel the day after I go shooting, it concerns me that they may test for bomb residue and hold me for having spent gunpowder on my clothing or hands. But, nothing has ever happened so far.

You'd have to be out of your mind to have a gun in an airport in NYC. Or, have a gun in NYC at all. Or, visit NYC at all.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think it would be crazy to go to NYC without a gun, so I guess it's don't go to NYC. Not a problem for me I've been there don't ever want to go back.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
So this moron got a permit in Alabama, and thinks he can go anywhere he wants while carrying.
In Nevada, I had to go to a day-long class to get my CCW permit in 2014; and then again in 2019 to renew it.
Both times there was some idiot in the back that just wasn't understanding what the instructor was saying.
Did anyone else have someone like that in your class?

·
Super Moderator
13,781 Posts
From the time I was a little kid and saw the old "King Kong" movie on a black-and-white television, I wanted to go to New York City and visit the Empire State Building. That ended about 15 years ago. Between the crime and NYC's monstrous gun laws, ain't no way I want to go anywhere near that place.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I used to rep broadcast quality video and audio production hardware. I spent 49% of my time in Manhattan, 49% in Los Angeles and 2% everywhere else.

I'll never venture outside that 2% again...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I read an article last year that reported there was an unusally high percentage of firearm violations, injuries, etc. among NFL players. Young, lot's of money to spend, fear of being robbed of their bling or cars were among the factors listed. Very few were trained in the carry or use of firearms. The same article reported that drug use and firearms among NFL players often go hand in hand.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
So this moron got a permit in Alabama, and thinks he can go anywhere he wants while carrying.
In Nevada, I had to go to a day-long class to get my CCW permit in 2014; and then again in 2019 to renew it.
Both times there was some idiot in the back that just wasn't understanding what the instructor was saying.
Did anyone else have someone like that in your class?

AHHHH-(Light bulb comes on) so that's why all the other students were looking at me and giggling and wouldn't talk to me at the lunch break!!!---

Attachments

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I believe that Atlanta Airport holds the record for most gun confiscations, and has for several years in a row now!
hard to separate the RED NECK from hjs gun you know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
A sad reminder to check the local laws before you travel with a firearm, even an unloaded one, as it's supposedly a crime to bring in an unloaded firearm in NY. :confused:

When Bernie Goetz got convicted, his sentence was a year, so I guess they upped the sentencing since way back then? It hasn't stopped real criminals from using guns in crimes.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/03/jet...-board-flight-laguardia-airport-with-gun.html
I'm betting he isn't sentenced to jail time. But I have to wonder about how anyone can show up at an airport thinking it's OK to have a gun. Too many concussions, I guess.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
In '97 then coach of the Cowboys Barry Switzer got caught with a .38 in his carry-on while going through the security checkpoint here at DFW Airport. He claims he forgot he put it there. How does one forget a loaded .38 in his luggage? Of course Switzer was never thought of as a brain surgeon here in Dallas.

Reactions: Levant

·
Registered
253 Posts
You or I would get some jail time for sure. I'm betting he'll get (non-reporting) Probation for a year and time served. One set of laws for the elites, another set for the commoners. Justice really IS for sale here in America.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey, when I travel the day after I go shooting, it concerns me that they may test for bomb residue and hold me for having spent gunpowder on my clothing or hands. But, nothing has ever happened so far.

You'd have to be out of your mind to have a gun in an airport in NYC. Or, have a gun in NYC at all. Or, visit NYC at all.

Experienced that in 2005 coming off deployment. I was still in my DCU, and the TSA guy freaked because my gear tested positive for expended gun powder. Missed my connection, it took 3 levels of bureaucracy to read my orders and clear me.
No weapons, no rounds...just gsr.
I was...to say a little...angry.

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
In 2019 TSA confiscated 4,432 firearms at checkpoints.[sup]*[/sup] It's sad for multiple reasons:
  1. That many guns are seized by the government.
  2. That many people are that stupid.
Actually I know somebody who got to the airport with a KelTec P3AT in their pocket... forgot they had it with them. Fortunately he was able to call his wife before she left the airport, had her circle around and take the gun home. I had to ask him though... if you forgot you had the gun, what good would it have done you if you'd needed it?
Think, people. A big part of situational awareness is to be aware of what YOU are doing.

[sup]*[/sup] http://njtoday.net/2020/02/26/record-number-of-guns-seized-at-u-s-airports-last-year/

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I know like 3-4 people that have got stopped for having ammo , some in magazines but not anyone that has had a Gun taken ---YET!

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are legally flying with firearms in your checked bag(s) and something happens and your plane is diverted to another airport in another city or state that you should not take possession of your luggage until you know the firearms in there are legal where you are at. Most likely if you claim your bags and leave you will be fine. However when you go to fly back out you will have to re-declare them and that is where you will run into issues. From my understanding if the airline retains possession and then re-tags them for your outbound flight you will be fine.

I flew in and out of New York a few years ago, used a rifle case to secure my fishing rods and keep them from getting damaged. It was a hassle walking out of and back into the airport that trip. My case was inspected multiple times.

Reactions: MadKaw

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
As an airline pilot I used to have layovers in Manhattan fairly often.
At first it was kinda cool; got to see the Empire State building, Chrysler building, Central Park, Trump Tower, Tiffany's, Times Square, Madison Avenue, Rockafeller Center, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, all the things that you've seen in the movies. Once I had seen all the sights, I hated New York! It was dirty, crowded, the people were rude, and everything was worn, broken, and in need of repair.
After just a couple of years I avoided New York layovers whenever possible.

·
Registered
16,869 Posts
So if he wasn't some kind of a football 'idol' I imagine this would have never made the news.
Common sense doesn't care how rich or famous you are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts