Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously this is going to be my opinion based on my own research and perspectives and will probably ruffle a few feathers but I think the value the overall content provides will outweigh said ruffles. I wrote this for my personal blog but I think some folks here would find it informational as well.

I don't really feel the need to defend my opinions presented here, but if by any means anyone sees a technical detail I've missed please feel free to point it out as well as presenting your own perspectives. I just don't want to get into a "shouting" match with anyone because we don't share the same perspective. That's partially why I called the thread "jedi's CHL Gun Comparison Guide" instead of just "gun comparison". These are just my opinions. Please try not to get your feelings hurt if we don't see eye to eye. But please do chime in if you disagree so folks can see a different perspective.

This content is also posted on my blog at : http://bigcitydruid.blogspot.com/2008/07/why-taurus-247-pro.html

I would have been happy to post the article here directly but it's pretty long and exceeds the post limit. Feel free to comment here though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
HI
One weapon you left off the list was the PT-145 Pro. I know it is only 10+1 capacity, but having big hands myself i know that the gun feels perfect in my hands and shoots like a mad banshee on St Paddy's day. It is next on my list to get... 11 rounds of 45 acp can't be all bad!

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
Yep, PT145 is definately a contender. :wave:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Only criticizim I have of your article is with the Judge & the 1911--the Judge is not a 6 shot revolver as you stated-it's a 5 shot and while the .410 is formidable at close range it is going to be weak in the stopping power department at anything much over 10 yards-of course you can always shoot .45 Colt ammo in it--i'd relagate it for use in a car where the shotshell would excell. You knock the 1911 for limited ammo capacity, but very few civillian shootouts exceed more than 3 rounds and the .45acp is a proven manstopper. Good article though.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Remember fellas---this is not an article---it is one person's opinion.

To each his own and carry what you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hornady140 said:
Only criticizim I have of your article is with the Judge & the 1911--the Judge is not a 6 shot revolver as you stated-it's a 5 shot and while the .410 is formidable at close range it is going to be weak in the stopping power department at anything much over 10 yards-of course you can always shoot .45 Colt ammo in it--i'd relagate it for use in a car where the shotshell would excell. You knock the 1911 for limited ammo capacity, but very few civillian shootouts exceed more than 3 rounds and the .45acp is a proven manstopper. Good article though.
ahhh, thanks for the correction on The Judge. :)

Honestly I agree with you on the 1911. I really debated on knocking it on capacity given that there are higher capacity magazines readily available. I'm a fan of the 1911 too and i know plenty of folks carry them for CCW. I'm thinking about changing the rating from a pass/fail to a 5 star rating system to sort of compensate for that.

I realize that statistically most defensive shootings take place at minimal yardage and expends less than 5 rounds you may go your entire life not needing more than five rounds (hopefully) or your entire life not even needing 1 in self defense. But I believe in maximizing your defensive capacity and one of the best ways to do that (other than situational awareness and practice) is to have more rounds available. I can think of 2 or 3 news stories involving defensive shootings just off the top of my head where you really would have needed more than 3-4 rounds. Personally I carry 12+1 45 acp with two spare magazines when i'm wearing my shoulder rig. Maybe that's paranoid on my part but i'm unlikely to run out of ammo should i need it.

I dont know much about the 145... someone wanna clue me in?

·
Registered
44 Posts
SPECIFICATIONS Millenium PRO PT145
Model: 145BP
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 10+1
Barrel Length: 3-1/4"
Action: DA/SA
Finish: Blue Steel
Grips: Checkered Polymer
Weight: 22.2 oz
Construction: Polymer/Steel
Frame: Compact
Front Sight: Heinie
Rear Sight: Straight-8
Trigger Type: Smooth
Length: 6-1/8"
Width: 1.25"
Height: 5.125"
Rate of Twist: 1:16"
Grooves: 6
Safety: Firing Pin Block,Manual Safety,Manual Safety,Trigger Block
UPC: 7-25327-31133-1
Order #: 1-145031P
MSRP: $436.00

I have this and the taurus 1911, and it is honestly hard to chose between them in the morning which one Iam going to carry that day. Both of them feel great in my hands (i like the 1911 a litle more because of the weight). The capacity doesnt bother me much on the 1911 or the 145 for that matter if i ever need more rounds i have 2 mags for which ever one iam carrying that day on my weak side. With both of them being .45, and my fairly accurate shooting, reloading probably wont even happen unless there is more than 9 BG. But like jedi said its all about personal prefrence and how comfortable you are with that firearm.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Good write up LedJedi. I don't agree with it all but as stated before it is your opinion. I know you would not agree with all that I say. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts