Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I decided that Pocket Carry was my choice of Concealment. All summer I have been wearing Wrangler Cargo Shorts that have good sized pockets for my Taurus G3C. This week when we had a cold snap I discovered my long legged jeans did not have pockets big enough for the gun. If any of you have a long legged denim jean with pockets big enough for a gun, I would appreciate the brand info. Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Usually work type jeans have bigger pockets and some long cargo pants have bigger pockets.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
You can get cargo pants in Denim. Or I saw jeans that were made for truckers that you could find in some truck stops. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
What holster are you using? A thin Kydex holster takes up considerably less room than a nylon holster.

Edit: i just looked up a size comparison of your G3c against my CM9 and DAMN... that thing is a monster compared to my Kahr.

It really seems too big for pocket carry, imo. I think you're going to have to stick with carpenter's jeans to get a front pocket big enough for that pistol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't aware that Cargo Jeans came in long legs, so I got some Wrangler Cargo Pants Long Legs and loose fit, so I think that might be good. == In answer to the question, what kind of holster I have, it is a Barsony Leather. == I want to thank all of you for your help.

·
Registered
518 Posts
This year I decided that Pocket Carry was my choice of Concealment. All summer I have been wearing Wrangler Cargo Shorts that have good sized pockets for my Taurus G3C. This week when we had a cold snap I discovered my long legged jeans did not have pockets big enough for the gun. If any of you have a long legged denim jean with pockets big enough for a gun, I would appreciate the brand info. Thanks
Stick with the Wrangler brand in long pants and in particular the Wrangler Cargo pants. For me they have the roomiest fit. A second choice would be the LAPG BDU pant. Also very roomy and affordable.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Now about that holster . . . . . .

Forget trying to put a fabricated holster down in the bottom of your pocket.

SEW A HOLSTER- shaped piece of denim in the pocket, on the side toward your leg, leave the bottom open for all the lint to pass through. Position it up toward the top of the pocket where you can get a better purchase on it (for quicker, less complex deployment), angle it to suit your shape and the drape of the trousers, no worry about having to keep the holster properly placed/positioned, the gun will never turn over in your pocket, the holster will not come out of the pocket with the gun - - - oh, the advantages are manifold.

Yeah, I know it requires a bit of planning and work, but once you get it right, you'll never look a holster in the face again without laughing. Pocket carry for little guns is not rocket-science, but when you do one, you'll wonder why you never looked at a needle that way before.

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
well pocket carry generally starts with figuring out what pistol will fit in the pocket--actually more important is which gun will COME OUT of the pocket--thats the most important.
pocket carry involves that as well as getting the hand on the weapon in a good usable grip before drawing.
add to that it reduces how much extra crap that you can put in pocket space as nothing should be in the same pocket with your firearm.
MY pocket pistol is the Sig Sauer 238,a single action, 1911 type gun in 380, I went with that first because of the quality/ reliability and secondly because it actually does work from the front pocket of my jeans.
the next larger size weapon that i have is a Sig 365, but its just enough larger that I use a IWB with it.
anyway thats my story and i am sticking with it.
I thunk maybe you choose the wrong gun for your desired carry method.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I agree with Olfarhors.
I have a few full size guns for home protection, but I consider them too big for concealed carry.
For carry I prefer compact guns like the G2C, and my recently aquired Taurus TH9C.
Even with compacts, I use a holster for quick extraction.

For the few times when I can only pocket carry, I use a Ruger LCP-II.
It's a small 6-shot .380, the same size as a TCP 738, and fits almost any pocket.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Another brand that works well with larger "pocket carry" pistols, is Rural King Brand cargo pants. We have a Rural King store near us, and I have bought and worn two pairs of them for the last couple of years, and am happy with the quality and front pocket size they offer. They have a website too.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The Magellan jeans at Academy have big deep pockets. I have worn them for several years, and I did not realize how small the pockets on other jeans have gotten until I bought a pair of Wranglers a few weeks ago. The Wranglers sure do fit and feel nice, but those pockets are TINY. Magellan is one of Academy's store brands, and the jeans are around $20. They are well made and durable if not exactly fashionable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well pocket carry generally starts with figuring out what pistol will fit in the pocket--actually more important is which gun will COME OUT of the pocket--thats the most important.
pocket carry involves that as well as getting the hand on the weapon in a good usable grip before drawing.
add to that it reduces how much extra crap that you can put in pocket space as nothing should be in the same pocket with your firearm.
MY pocket pistol is the Sig Sauer 238,a single action, 1911 type gun in 380, I went with that first because of the quality/ reliability and secondly because it actually does work from the front pocket of my jeans.
the next larger size weapon that i have is a Sig 365, but its just enough larger that I use a IWB with it.
anyway thats my story and i am sticking with it.
I thunk maybe you choose the wrong gun for your desired carry method.
No, the gun is not too big for pockets as the Wrangler Cargo Shorts have pockets large enough for it (not the Cargo pockets, the front regular ones). I was only asking about long pants with big pockets. I didn't get a smaller gun due to a preference for a 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
40,389 Posts
No, the gun is not too big for pockets as the Wrangler Cargo Shorts have pockets large enough for it (not the Cargo pockets, the front regular ones). I was only asking about long pants with big pockets. I didn't get a smaller gun due to a preference for a 9mm.
I pocket carry as well. I can and have easily pocket carried a PT-145 with the 10 round magazine and also carry the extra 12 round magazine. I agree with your approach, find the clothes that fit my choice of gun.

Reactions: BigMck

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
to each their own i guess, when I want to absouletely pocket carry I just take along my Pet Kangaroo, the problem is that a few places I go just don't allow me to take the kangaroo and maybe I need to dress a bit differently than cargo jeans/ shorts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I received my Wrangler Cargo Long Jeans today. The pockets are big enough for the G3C and I want to thank all that led me to Wrangler or mentioned another brand. Thanks,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does the pocket flop around your leg with the pistol in it? Those square pockets don’t appear to conceal much. They look like you are ‘the guy who carries in his pockets’

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Ya know, all this talk about large pockets leads one to think about the large (ahem!) anatomy that those large pockets are distributed around. Sometimes it takes a bit of imagination to conceal even a SMALL pistol in a pocket that is stretched to its limit on a body better suited to IWB carry where the belt kind of "compresses" the gun into the adipose tissue and helps to make it disappear to less discerning eyes.

Do NOT ask me how and why I found this out nor why I posted it this way.

·
Super Moderator
35,516 Posts
^^ Have you been following me? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Flash60601

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now about that holster . . . . . .

Forget trying to put a fabricated holster down in the bottom of your pocket.

SEW A HOLSTER- shaped piece of denim in the pocket, on the side toward your leg, leave the bottom open for all the lint to pass through. Position it up toward the top of the pocket where you can get a better purchase on it (for quicker, less complex deployment), angle it to suit your shape and the drape of the trousers, no worry about having to keep the holster properly placed/positioned, the gun will never turn over in your pocket, the holster will not come out of the pocket with the gun
Most locket material is soft and thin and won't stand up to the xtra weight and stress. It needs to be reinforced. Sew it to the jean material at the top of the pocket. It will also allow for using velcro...loop side sewen on and hook side on "holster".

Alternatively, the "holster" can be made of cydex, a medium weight canvas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does the pocket flop around your leg with the pistol in it? Those square pockets don’t appear to conceal much. They look like you are ‘the guy who carries in his pockets’
I don't put it in the Cargo Pocket. I use the regular front pocket. It seems the Cargo Pants have bigger pockets than just plain jeans.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts