Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

INTRO:

This MONTHLY PISTOL SHOOTOUT is open to ALL Taurus Armed forum members.
-Targets and results can be submitted to this thread any time throughout the competition month.
-ANY target may be used - the only requirement is a defined center - a dot or an "X" is all you need.
-Creativity is encouraged!
-Only one target per class will be counted BUT if a second try yields a better result - submit it and that will count as your entry.
-Entrants can shoot as many or few categories as they wish - shoot one or shoot 'em all it is up to you and your ammo supply!
-The use of TAURUS products is highly encouraged in all classes but is not required.

RULE: ALL distances are to be shot standing, using a safe shooting stance that suits the shooter.

Laser sights are permitted in all classes without restriction.

CLASSES:

- 7 yard Classes
:) Cat. #1 - Caliber .17 or .22, rim fire revolver or pistol, iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, any barrel length. 5 shots, ANY target
:) Cat. #2 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, Iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrel must be 4.5” or under. 5 shots, ANY target
:) Cat. #3 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, Iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrel must be OVER 4.5”. 5 shots, ANY target
:) Cat #2a "Bulls and Balls" 10 shot target challenge. To get a copy of the target 'click' the PDF attached at the bottom of this page OR download the target here: http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd472/KimHumphries/targetdotsandbulls0115TXT.jpg
right click and 'save image as' - print from your computer or take the file to a copy shop.
- Any centerfire revolver or pistol can be used for this category!
- 10 shots TOTAL required
- 2 shots each required at the 3 bulls (6)
- 4 shots are shooter's choice
- break/touch a line to score
- break 2 lines (a bull and a black circle to score BOTH!) bulls alone are one score only
- HIGHEST total score wins
- tie breaker = highest combined score of the 3 bulls
- 2nd tie breaker = closest shot to center in center bulls eye

- 15 yard Classes
:cool: Cat. #4 - Caliber .17 or .22, rim fire revolver or pistol, Iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights - any barrel length - 5 shots, ANY target
:cool: Cat. #5 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrel must be 4.5” or under - 5 shots, ANY target
:cool: Cat. #6 - Any caliber, center fire revolver or pistol, iron sights or unmagnified red dot sights, barrels over 4.5” - 5 shots, ANY target

HOW TO SCORE:
Post a picture (or scan) of the target you want to submit with the measurement below - use calipers, a ruler or use the FREE version of "On Target".
OnTarget FREE software. >>>> On Target Download <<<< download here (a great tool!).

1) Post the size measurement of the 5 shot group and
2) the far shot flyer distance from center of the target and
3) add the two numbers - this number is your total SCORE.

Measure all shots from center-to-center.

ALSO: Post the model and caliber of the handgun and ammo used (WITH an image please).

Questions: PM me OR refer to past month's results

* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *

CLASS WINNERS will be posted for each class with ALL competitors’ scores also listed in descending order.

All entries must be submitted by midnight SUNDAY FEBRUARY 1st 2015!! (shoot through the weekend!)
Scores will be posted ASAP.

*Obviously being the internet, this is an "honor system" competition for fun. Shot group measurements on the target whether by ruler, calipers, or software is required as is the measurement of the farthest shot from center.
*Post photos of the gun(s) used in the shootout. Range photos are appreciated (not required) for fun and local color!

NOTE: Target for Cat #2a is attached below as a downloadable PDF!! VVVV

Attachments

Reactions: darbo and 88keys

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A look at the Bulls and Balls Target - a 10 shot Challenge!

High Score = High Risk. Can shooters make the last 4 REALLY count!! :eek:

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I might have to give this a shot! Haha! I love puns....

Reactions: mingaa and 88keys

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
What fun! I think I've found a way to get around the range rules requiring I use their targets, since they said I could use any stickers I want. I've got full page labels! Gonna try it.
Might be cheaper:

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts

High Score = High Risk. Can shooters make the last 4 REALLY count!! :eek:
You have that in a PDF format so I don't have to worry about scaling?

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have that in a PDF format so I don't have to worry about scaling?
I can send it to you via e-mail on PDF. The Photobucket .JPG should be 8.5 x 11".

Been a while since we did a dedicated target challenge.

ALL - Any difficulties drop me a PM and I'll fix you up.

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
Do we print this target out on 8 1/2x11? I might try to shoot some targets when the weather allows in the next week or two. At least I only have to go as far as the back yard to shoot, don't have to make a range trip.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do we print this target out on 8 1/2x11? I might try to shoot some targets when the weather allows in the next week or two. At least I only have to go as far as the back yard to shoot, don't have to make a range trip.
Yep - 8.5 X 11" - 7 yards, any center fire pistol or revolver. 10 shots total, high score wins.

I'm going to print a small batch and see if I can hit some of the double balls! Big score if you hit, basement if you do not.

Who are the risk takers on TA?!?! ;)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I wish I had that option. And the weather here doesn't look like its going to cooperate any time soon.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep - the target is an 8.5 x 11" format.

I had some members test the Photobucket download and it is a small file and to scale.

I don't know where I can post a downloadable PDF though. I can make the file but don't have a download sight - suggestions are welcome!

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
Yep - the target is an 8.5 x 11" format.

I had some members test the Photobucket download and it is a small file and to scale.

I don't know where I can post a downloadable PDF though. I can make the file but don't have a download sight - suggestions are welcome!
You can attach the PDF right here in a post or added it to the original post. The "Go Advanced" feature permits you to attach a file.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can attach the PDF right here in a post or added it to the original post. The "Go Advanced" feature permits you to attach a file.
DONE! The target is now available as a PDF at the bottom of the Shootout post.

I print multiples by taking a file to the local copy shop and getting digital laser copies - the quality is usually better than home ink jet as well. YMMV.
;)

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Responding to a good question

Note that the shots in the "7" ring of the bulls eye are legitimate shots and will count both scores and also count as 1 of the 2 required bullseye shots.

The shot at the "10" ring of the bullseye (top right) will only score once as a 10 - as in traditional bullseye scoring.

I hope that helps - I've shot similar targets to this but this is a new one that I put together yesterday. I'm itching to shoot it but at 10*...

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
DONE! The target is now available as a PDF at the bottom of the Shootout post.

I print multiples by taking a file to the local copy shop and getting digital laser copies - the quality is usually better than home ink jet as well. YMMV.
;)

Thanks, I'll get a bunch printed up and give them a try.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I'll get a bunch printed up and give them a try.

Maybe the .500 S&W Magnum will be helpful in connecting the dots?!?! :eek:

*I'm starting with 45ACP personally!

Reactions: darbo

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts

Maybe the .500 S&W Magnum will be helpful in connecting the dots?!?! :eek:

*I'm starting with 45ACP personally!
I may give it a try, I have been shooting it at 25 yards and am getting petty accurate, want to use it on a hog hunt in the future, and will go for a head shot to minimize meat damage.

Sun is starting to stay up a little past 5:30 PM now might be able to start hitting the range soon after work if I get out at a decent time. Last few weekends I tried going to the range it was packed.

Reactions: darbo and mingaa

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Heres my entry for cat #2.
Seem the new Tritium sights are pretty darned close.
its my P-01 CZ 9MM, using 115 grain plated Round Nose, handloaded ammo using HP-38.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts