Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what else will wash ashore....

A Japanese fishing vessel swept away by the March 2011 tsunami has been spotted adrift off the west coast of Canada.

An aircraft patrolling the seas off British Columbia saw the 15m (50ft) vessel seen floating 275km (170 miles) from the Haida Gwaii islands on Friday. It is believed to be the first large item from the millions of tonnes of tsunami debris to cross the Pacific. No-one is believed to be on board the ship, registered in Hokkaido, Japan.

Canada's transport ministry is monitoring the vessel for marine pollution and to see if it becomes an obstruction. The tsunami last March generated more than 25 million tonnes of debris. Between four and eight million tonnes were washed into the ocean, with one to two million tonnes still floating on the surface. The main mass of the debris is not expected to make landfall in North America until March 2014. Maria Cantwell, US senator for Washington state, said the boat was expected to drift slowly south. "On its current trajectory and speed, the vessel wouldn't make landfall for approximately 50 days," Sen Cantwell said in a statement.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm thinking this would be a great opportunity for some Fine Navy Target Practice! Flood the forward tubes gentlemen......

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm thinking this would be a great opportunity for some Fine Navy Target Practice! Flood the forward tubes gentlemen......
That's what I thought after reading about it too.

·
Super Moderator
35,566 Posts
Must be the Frying Dutchman.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
That's a neat story a real life ghost ship adrift that long. Let's blow it up :) Wonder what else is out there floating around from that tsunami

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a neat story a real life ghost ship adrift that long. Let's blow it up :) Wonder what else is out there floating around from that tsunami
That's what I was wondering. It will be interesting to see what shows up before it's all over...

·
10,379 Posts
Must be the Frying Dutchman.
Ok, I don't care who you are, that was funny.

I really have nothing else to add to this, other than if they know who owns the ship, and I'm assuming they do if they know where it's registered from, you'd think the owner would be finding a way to get on board and see if it can't be salvaged.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I really have nothing else to add to this, other than if they know who owns the ship, and I'm assuming they do if they know where it's registered from, you'd think the owner would be finding a way to get on board and see if it can't be salvaged.
Oh come on! That's no fun! I vote for target practice.

·
10,379 Posts
LoL, sorry, I'm sorry. The responsible portion of my brain activated for a split second. I'm always up for some good ol' fashioned 'splosions, I just wish I could be the one to pull the trigger.

Which reminds me, I need to buy some more Tannerite targets.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Looks like a set for a new horror movie.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Yup one more vote for blast her out of the water! I just wish we had an Iowa class battleship with the old Mark 7 Guns. I'd love to see what a 2'700 lb shell would do to that tin can! Or better yet a full broadside! :D

USS Iowa.jpg

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I've seen the story of this ship on TV and all over the net the last couple of days. I'll be the first one to admit that I know very little about ships and maritime laws and all that stuff, but, I have a few questions about this that none of the media sources seem to answering.

1. If this ship has been afloat for this long it must be seaworthy?
2. If it's seaworthy then why isn't someone trying to board this ship and either sail it back to port or tow it back to port?
3. If it's not worth salvaging or recovering, why is the Japanese navy just letting it drift? It's being reported as a hazard to shipping traffic, so why not either get it under control or sink it?
4. None of the reporting services have indicated who actually owns this ship or where it's registered. Why?
5. If the ships owners no longer want the ship, why wouldn't some other shipping service or country want it?
6. I live in a coastal community, six miles from a large repair and salvage marina. I've seen ships in a lot worse condition being towed in here for refitting or repairs. What makes this ship unrepairable?

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
That's probably what the owner is hoping for. No insurance if it's still afloat. For all we know, the former owners have already collected and the insurance company is asking for their money back.

·
17,584 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the update glen! Also, it's good to see that the Coast Guard is going to get some good practice sinking the thing. Sounds like a Taurus Armed kind of plan to me! :D

·
10,379 Posts
LoL and another update. Follow that link now and it says that Canada has claimed the ship and it will only be sunk if the Canadian salvage crews are unable to tow it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts