Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced some jamming problems with my 24/7 while using blazer brass. If it starts doing this with any other ammunitions what else can I have a gun smith do to fix this problem. should I have work done to the feed ramp? what is going on to make the slide not go all the way forward when it is loading and how could that be fixed.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Caliber?? As for the feedramp, leave that alone for now. I would concentrate my initial efforts on the extractor area of the slide and magazines. Clean the dickens out of both areas and items and see if that helps matters.

It is quite possible that you may have a batch of ammo that had the case rims malformed, but I have not had problems with Blazer Brass in 9mm in my 24/7 or with Blazer Brass in .45 ACP in my other handguns. The case heads on Blazer Brass shells are noticeably thinner than other makes, but this matters only to those of us who Reload.

Edit Update: Okay, I see from the 24/7 subforum you've been cross-posting on this problem and that your 24/7 is chambered in .40. My advice remains the same!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for your advice i will clean it very well today and will try again. if any one else has any other ideas i would really appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the easiest way to fix this problem is to buy some WWB or Remington ammo. Some folks on here will disagree with me on ammo preference, but IMO, if you avoid Blazer, you'll avoid a lot of issues. I don't like it because I have seen too many malfunctions with it. They include FTF, FTE, Jamming, bullets falling out of improperly crimped cases in a revolver, and various lengths of the same ammo which caused a revolver to jam (some were too long & kept the cylinder from rotating). These were all first-hand observations, not some story relayed to me by some guy at some place who's brother's cousin once read something on the internet. I don't care for Blazer, but I am not trash talking, just saying that I think it's related to the ammo. That would be my first instinct.

I would change ammo before trying to modify what may be a perfectly fine pistol. Look at the ammo & compare it to a box of quality ammo. Look at overall length and diameter. If different ammo doesn't help, I would next look at the magazine. Weak magazine springs can cause a lot of issues. I put the odds of fixing this with different ammo around 3:1.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I have used Blazer Aluminum cased in my 45 colt Judge, without problems. Of course over length would not be problem with a 3 inch cylinder. I have not seen any problems. I found a source for Blazer Brass, and was contemplating making a purchase. This was due to a limited supply of 45 colt available locally. However, After reading this thread I am not sure. Of course, I am using a revolver, and it seems to eat just about anything I feed it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The revolver issues with Blazer were caused by the cylinder & ammo being very close in length. The poor tolerances of the ammo caused some of the bullets to be too long. I don't see this being an issue for you in the Judge. The other problem, bullets actually falling out of their cases, could be an issue for you. I hope it was an isolated incident, I was amazed. She took her second shot, and most of the rest of the bullets fell on the table.....the cases were still in the cylinder. I found a box of Federal .45 long colts in my garage last night.....it felt like Christmas. I'll be shooting them in a couple of weeks.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Well the hollow point CCI blazers in aluminum seem tight. By that I mean they fit the chamber closely, and the bullets show no movement or looseness. But Like I said, I think I will stay away from that brand for 45 colt, with prices being what they are I would hate to have to throw away ones that lost their load of bullet and powder. I do not plan to reload at this time, but I have been saving the true brass just in case we find someone who will reload both 45 colt and 9mm.

I have used CCI rimfires both in 22 mag, and 22 LR with no problem. But most of plinking is done with cheaper rounds, $14.99 for 500 fits my budget. $6.98 for 50 115 9mm, and I am still waiting on my order of 45 colts at $17 round nose and $19 hollowpoints per 50, that I ordered from Texas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys very much for the advice. I will definitely be switching ammunition to winchester. If this still happens I will be getting new mags.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Keep us updated, surely someone else will be looking to solve the same problem one day. I am curious about the outcome. Instead of new mags (which should not be expensive) you might be able to buy the springs & change them out. This is assuming the follower is not the issue. New mags would obviously cover the spring & follower (plus, you are starting with a perfectly clean mag). Of course, different ammo is my bet.

P.S. - I just bought some 100 packs of WWB at Wal-mart for $28. They only had 4 boxes, so I took all of them. I need about another 1000 rounds if anyone knows a good source. I plan to check cheaperthandirt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheaper than dirt or walmart are by far the best prices that i have found so far. I think I might be getting some ammo from them some time soon.

·
32,788 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm, I have never had a problem with the Blazer Brass, and in back to back tests a buddy and I were shooting much tighter groups with it than the box of Winchester I had last time. Also, some of the Winchester had a clear substance that looked like wax beaded on the outside. Goes to show that your results may vary.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have used the Blazer aluminum case and have had similar problems. Some of the cases were too large which cause the slide to not go into battery. Also, i had a lot of FTF and i even double and tripple striked them with no luck.........i then took them apart to find out there was not enought powder in them. It must of been a bad batch, because i pulled apart about 23 FTF and weigh the weight of the powder and there were all the same and far less that what was supposed to be there based on my reloading charts. Of course the powder type makes a difference on the powder weight, but we are talking less than 1/4 of the powder was present in the FTF that i took apart. Another problem was that the Blazer that did fire produced a very nasty residue that made the weapond very dirty quickly and also a grainy substance that even got on my hand. This is not intended on bashing Blazer as i am sure they must of had a bad batch or something and I am sure too that they must of produced a fair share of good quality rounds...............but this was my first hand experience with Blazer.
I have shot pretty much all the brands of ammo under the sun.........even the popular reloads by Georgia Arms and a few others. My favorites are Corbon, Federal and Winchester........they always go BANG. I love the federal for the accuracy and I love the Corbon for the damage.

·
32,788 Posts
As this proves true for all brands, makes, and models of guns... no two exact example of a brand, shoot or have the same behavior chararcteristics as a person may assume. Like new cars of the same make and model, they all have different performance parameters.

Have to get used to them is alll. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would make sure to fix your weapon first. A jam will do you no good in a gunfight, god forbid it's a really bad jam. Then you would have a 40 cal brick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to the range yesterday and shot some of the Winchester ammunition. I am having jams with that to now. so i know that it isn't the ammunition. I am sending my magazine back to taurus today but i am wondering if this will fix it. The two magazines that I have now dont sit all of the way in the gun so I am wondering if this might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That might, it might not be the mag though, it might be the weapon itself that's causing the mag not to seat all the way in. I'm not too familiar with the 24/7, I don't have one personally. Have you swapped anything around (mag realese for example)? Like I said, I'm not too familiar with the 24/7 series, but on my PT-92 I did the mag realese swap (I'm a lefty) and most of my mags wouldn't go in all the way, that or they wouldn't stay in all the way. I later found out that the mag didn't match if you had moved the realese button to the other side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
kashdaddy said:
I have used the Blazer aluminum case and have had similar problems. Some of the cases were too large which cause the slide to not go into battery. Also, i had a lot of FTF and i even double and tripple striked them with no luck.........i then took them apart to find out there was not enought powder in them. It must of been a bad batch, because i pulled apart about 23 FTF and weigh the weight of the powder and there were all the same and far less that what was supposed to be there based on my reloading charts. Of course the powder type makes a difference on the powder weight, but we are talking less than 1/4 of the powder was present in the FTF that i took apart. Another problem was that the Blazer that did fire produced a very nasty residue that made the weapond very dirty quickly and also a grainy substance that even got on my hand. This is not intended on bashing Blazer as i am sure they must of had a bad batch or something and I am sure too that they must of produced a fair share of good quality rounds...............but this was my first hand experience with Blazer.
I have shot pretty much all the brands of ammo under the sun.........even the popular reloads by Georgia Arms and a few others. My favorites are Corbon, Federal and Winchester........they always go BANG. I love the federal for the accuracy and I love the Corbon for the damage.
I have used Blazer Brass extensively( thousands of rounds) in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I have never had any problem at all with overall length or low performance. Perhaps you got a bad lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts