Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a newbie and have a question. I have had several Taurus revolvers and loved them. I recently bought a 745 Pro Mil. and loved it until it started jamming using HP. She shoots any hardball ammo but don't like those expensive Hornaday SD JHP! Now I am scared and thinking about selling since it jams. I love it, the weight and size has most others beat IMO. Btw, I keep it clean. Has anyone got any suggestions- I really don't want to sell it but I sure am spooked now!

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Are the hollow points you're using the traditional hollow points with the flat nose and hollow core or the Critical Defense rounds with the plastic tip in the hollow point? My PT1911 will only reliably feed the CD rounds because (I think) the tip gives them a more rounded profile like an FMJ round.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I had one that would only feed .230gr Golden sabers, give them a try before giving up on the gun. They are also one of the cheapest self defense rounds out there.

Reactions: Valk and btleslie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the hollow points you're using the traditional hollow points with the flat nose and hollow core or the Critical Defense rounds with the plastic tip in the hollow point? My PT1911 will only reliably feed the CD rounds because (I think) the tip gives them a more rounded profile like an FMJ round.
No they are traditional hollow points. What you are saying makes a lot of sense bc of the rounded tip and will give it a try, I use the CD plastic tips in my LCP and no problems so I'll give it a try even though I should be able to fire most any brand.......I wonder if that was the reason it was discontinued?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Check the feed ramp for any surface scores. My first auto had machine marks and would jam on anything. Dermel with a polishing wheel took care of it.

·
32,766 Posts
Give these a try.

45 ACP - 230 gr JHP - Remington UMC - 500 Rounds
Cheap Ammo For Sale | In Stock Ammunition For Sale has them.

These are rounds that can be used for self defense and won't break the bank. If you can find them some place else,no problem.

Wide mouthed JHP .45ACP rounds do not work most of the time in mini .45s.

Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com might be able to help you find something. Even Federal Classic rounds would or should work in your 745.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the feed ramp for any surface scores. My first auto had machine marks and would jam on anything. Dermel with a polishing wheel took care of it.
Thanks man, I've never had to do it but I'll give it a try! :angel:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Give these a try.

45 ACP - 230 gr JHP - Remington UMC - 500 Rounds
Cheap Ammo For Sale | In Stock Ammunition For Sale has them.

These are rounds that can be used for self defense and won't break the bank. If you can find them some place else,no problem.

Wide mouthed JHP .45ACP rounds do not work most of the time in mini .45s.

Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com might be able to help you find something. Even Federal Classic rounds would or should work in your 745.
Thanks I'll try everyone of them. I wonder why in the minis, and if it happens in the Pro 145? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
You might also have to adjust the feed lips on the magazine, the might not be letting the round angle up into the feed ramp.

Reactions: Valk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with jimb1972, take a fully loaded magazine and pull the top round up against the magazine lips spreading them ever so slightly. Also, you should store your new magazines at full capacity to loosen the feed spring. I had flat nose JHP nosedive in a sub 1911 until I broke the magazine springs in. About 300 to 400 rounds.

Reactions: Valk and Qwiks draw

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I haven't had that issue with Taurus myself, but I always carry Critical Defense rounds in my autos anyway to avoid that potential problem... I have had large cavity HP's "catch" on the ramp trying to feed in other guns.

Nosler has come out with an even better profile polymer tipped round that looks just like a FMJ called Nosler Defense...

Attachments

·
32,766 Posts
I haven't had that issue with Taurus myself, but I always carry Critical Defense rounds in my autos anyway to avoid that potential problem... I have had large cavity HP's "catch" on the ramp trying to feed in other guns.

Nosler has come out with an even better profile polymer tipped round that looks just like a FMJ called Nosler Defense...
Piggybacking on that idea are the Hornady FTX Critical Defense rounds which have a plastic plug in the nose that allows for good feeding up the ramp and into the chamber. Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 45 Auto :: 45 Auto 185 gr FTX® Critical Defense®

The lighter 185gr. bullets are a good idea as documented in real world cases for mini .45ACP pistols.

All of the below Federal loads will work well or should in the 745.

LOAD NO.

Use

Caliber

Bullet Weight Grains

Bullet Style

Ballistic Coefficient

Brand

C45C

45 Auto

JHP

Personal Defense® Automatic Pistol

P45HS1

45 Auto

Hydra-Shok® JHP

Premium® Personal Defense®

PD45HS3H

45 Auto

Hydra-Shok® JHP

Premium® Personal Defense® (LR)

PD45GRD

45 Auto

Guard Dog®

Guard Dog®

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Piggybacking on that idea are the Hornady FTX Critical Defense rounds which have a plastic plug in the nose that allows for good feeding up the ramp and into the chamber. Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 45 Auto :: 45 Auto 185 gr FTX® Critical Defense®

The lighter 185gr. bullets are a good idea as documented in real world cases for mini .45ACP pistols.

Guard Dog®
Yep, I go with those in all my guns when I'm carrying... .357 and .22 mag revolvers too. I never shoot HP's at the range anyway, and certain clothing can definitely retard expansion in some HP's, so I prefer to carry reliability. I also have some hot Cor-bon flying ashtrays, but again, they're so wide at the tip I'd rather not take a chance on them hanging up at just the wrong moment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Many 1911s have the same issue with traditional (open nose) hollow points. The Hornady CD and Golden Saber type bullet profile solve the feed issue. I doubt that was reasoning to stop production of the 745. Taurus does seem to have a tendency to discontinue US availability of models (seemingly) arbitrarily, at least to the consumer. They no doubt have their reasons (sales volume, new models, market trends, etc...). The only Millennium Pro version remaining in production is the PT111 G2. I have and love my PT145 but before purchase I wanted to compare the 145 and 745 side by side. 145s were readily available but I had difficulty finding a 745 so perhaps they were not big sellers.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
No they are traditional hollow points. What you are saying makes a lot of sense bc of the rounded tip and will give it a try, I use the CD plastic tips in my LCP and no problems so I'll give it a try even though I should be able to fire most any brand.......I wonder if that was the reason it was discontinued?

More than likely the 745 was discontinued because it was overshadowed by the higher capacity PT145.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
More than likely the 745 was discontinued because it was overshadowed by the higher capacity PT145.
Ahhh, BS Lance. All the Millennium Pros have been discontinued. The 745 was discontinued at exactly the same time as the 145, 140, and 111 were discontinued. The Millennium exists only as a G2; a PT111 and PT140, the they are not a "Pro" and are pistols of a different kind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys for all the suggestions amd I'll try them all starting with the easiest. I think the plastic tips may be the answer. Wow, I didn't know the PT145 was discontinued! That is scary since I was thinking some of the parts in the 145 would be interchangable. Does Taurus even make a compact .45 now?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts