Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Judge a few weeks ago and it fires .410 perfectly, and I am carrying it all the time with Federal .410 000. I want to mix in .45 Colt as well for better range, but the target ammo I shot jams the gun. Is the problem the ammo, or is there a problem I need to be aware of.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congtats on being the new owner of a awesome revolver!Myself and some other members have had some similar issues with our Judges.While putting the first 50 rounds of long colt through mine,the cyliner wouldn't always rotate and I would have to rotate it by hand a few trigger pulls.I did get a bit discouraged with it.But it's The Judge -It MUST perform.I cleaned the crap out of it,made sure all specs and clearances were correct,and after more rounds through it ,it shoots great everytime.Keep it well cleaned,and keep shootin'.Gotta luv THE JUDGE!

·
5,686 Posts
Our Judge is picky with the ammo. I don't like that it is, but it is. When I called Taurus they suggested I try different ammo. I did and it worked flawlessly. Get a different brand of 45LC and see if it improves. We like the combo boxes of PDX1 and 45LC by Winchester.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'd have to agree with Miss Kitty on the Winchester 45LC...my poly PD loves 'em

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Federal stuff jams all the time in my poly. I use Remington 410 shells in my poly, Rough Rider, and my Mossberg 410. Winchester 45colt works best in that area...

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
When you say jams, do you mean the cylinder jams and will not turn, or the hammer jams and will not fire in DA, or cock in SA?

·
Registered
19,302 Posts
The Judges are fickle about ammo. I have a Judge Magnum and in .410, I can use only Winchester or Federal ammunition....all except the high brass Shok loads. The Federal Shok rounds would jam the cylinder occasionally, due to the primer protruding after firing. All other shells I've tried will swedge themselves in the cylinder after firing and range from difficult, to nearly impossible to extract. I've heard rumors that ribbed shells are to blame but even the smooth, all metal cased Barnauls will stick. The Federals are ribbed and I have no sticking issues with them, either. It would appear that each Judge model is partial to different ammo brands than the others but Winchester seems to work in all of them.

The problems most are having with the .45LC, is a protruding primer that jams the cylinder and prevents it from turning. I have not had any problems with the LCs, despite firing several different types of Remington, Federal, Winchester and one 50 round box of off-brand stuff through it. From what I've gathered, most LC problems are specific to reloaded or "cheap" ammo so anything "name brand" should be okay. I like the .410 defensive disc ammo but I've found the larger bucks to be more accurate and have a tighter spread. Of all the PD ammo I've shot, I really prefer the Remingtons but unfortunately, I can't use them. I do much better with .410 rifled slugs, than with the .45LCs at 20 yds. The 3" barrel of my Mag sends the LCs high and left while the slugs hit much closer to where I'm aiming. On spinning steel targets, the slugs also seem to hit much harder. I'll probably use some .45s on the range but when it's loaded for carry, it'll be buckshot and slugs.

In my research of the Judge, I've read that because of the bore size, it will (technically) also shoot the .45 Schofield round but I don't know of anyone actually doing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a Judge chambered for 3" magnums. The first .410 000 stuck and I had a tough time getting it unstuck. I shot 2 boxes of Winchester PDX1 Defenders 3" without a glitch. I also shoot Hornady .45 Cowboys without a problem. So, I'll stick to those brands and know I can fire without any issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the judge magnum, and the first 50 rounds of winchester 45 LC's went like butter...the second 50 rounds were remington 45 LC's and the cylinder jammed a couple of times..i think it's the ammo....sticking to the winchesters...(when i can find them!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts