Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting an IWB that has two clips. I like the design in a way that it will keep the gun in place. It also allows a thinner profile since the clips are not on top of the gun. The regular single clip IWB holster that I use will rotate when I sit down then stand up. Has anyone else experienced this? Does the two clip holster really help?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
I've used a Milt Sparks Watch-Six for a 1911 (has loops instead of clips but there's still 2 of them) and a Comp-tac CTAC for my XD which uses the same system as the holster you showed. I think the clips are event the same. Works fine for me.

Steelheart
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
WHy would you not want it to rotate and move with you? Wouldn't it feel more like part of you if it moved with you as you sat down instead of satying in one spot and jabbing you in the hip or something.

When you read this, keep in mind I haven't carried with either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
If the gun/holster combination can shift it may not be where you expect it if you need to draw. Plus it could shift enough to print or reveal itself and you would be less likely to realize it. I've carried my subcompact XD (3") in my CTAC for long periods of time with no real issues. My record was the 15-16 hour day I helped my father move summer of 2005, a less than pleasant day. He didn't think I would be able to deal with it. My hip/side was the least of my aches. ;D

http://www.comp-tac.com/

Steelheart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flyer said:
WHy would you not want it to rotate and move with you? Wouldn't it feel more like part of you if it moved with you as you sat down instead of satying in one spot and jabbing you in the hip or something.

When you read this, keep in mind I haven't carried with either.
When you sit in a bucket seat of a car, the butt of the gun gets pushed forward increasing the cant angle. When you stand up, you have to push it back. That's exactly how I "made" a CHL at a dinner I attended. I could see him adjusting his gun through his shirt each time he stood up. It's this rotation that I'd like to minimize and the two clip holsters seem to be the solution. I just haven't sampled one so I'm hoping to hear from others.
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
propellerhead said:
When you sit in a bucket seat of a car, the butt of the gun gets pushed forward increasing the cant angle. When you stand up, you have to push it back. That's exactly how I "made" a CHL at a dinner I attended. I could see him adjusting his gun through his shirt each time he stood up. It's this rotation that I'd like to minimize and the two clip holsters seem to be the solution. I just haven't sampled one so I'm hoping to hear from others.
I see says the blind man .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
I will only use IWB holsters with two clips/loops located on opposite sides of the holster. This, like stated by propellerhead, prevents the gun from canting or rocking forward, but what I really like is it pulls the holster around the body, making it more comfortable and easier to conceal. JMHO!!!

For my 1911 I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2
For my XD-45 and my PT-145 I have a Brommeland Max Con V
For my Revolvers I have several Tucker Heritage's and an HBE Com 3.
These are all custom holsters made for the specific guns carried in them.

tex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Steelheart said:
If the gun/holster combination can shift it may not be where you expect it if you need to draw. Plus it could shift enough to print or reveal itself and you would be less likely to realize it. I've carried my subcompact XD (3") in my CTAC for long periods of time with no real issues. My record was the 15-16 hour day I helped my father move summer of 2005, a less than pleasant day. He didn't think I would be able to deal with it. My hip/side was the least of my aches. ;D

http://www.comp-tac.com/

Steelheart
I'm very interested in this holster. The Slide seems to be the best for me with the J-hook. Do you have any experience with that setup? I will be carrying both a 1911 (SA9151) and the 24/7 Pro 40S&W with it. It looks like, from the webpage, that they will accommodate both guns and possibly even my S&W 9mm. Is that accurate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
pgreen7436 said:
I'm very interested in this holster. The Slide seems to be the best for me with the J-hook. Do you have any experience with that setup? I will be carrying both a 1911 (SA9151) and the 24/7 Pro 40S&W with it. It looks like, from the webpage, that they will accommodate both guns and possibly even my S&W 9mm. Is that accurate?
I have used my CTAC as my daily carry for over 2 years. Mine is for an XD and I think I got the Slide version. I use the Standard clips. I wear it tucked the majority of the time. No one has noticed (or atleast questioned me) the clips sticking over my belt. But you should get the belt and clips to match as close as possible so there is less to attract attention.

I just checked and the XD model will not carry a 1911. It will go in but I wouldn't carry it that way unless I was way up the proverbial river without any propulsion system. As to whether or not the various models will interchange in the same holster (I'm not sure from you post if you're thinking 1 holster for 3 different guns or 3 holsters for 3 guns) I'd suggest calling and ask. The 24-7 is listed as are various configurations of 1911 (depending on rail and possibly the shape of the trigger guard) but I don't see much for Smith autos (which surprises me a little). When I ordered my XD. on either a tues. or wed. afternoon, the gentleman apologized that he couldn't ship it out yet that day, but that it would be out the next. I received it that friday. It even came with the allen wrench to tighten the clips.

If I was looking at more stealthy clips I would lean towards the C-clip instead of the J-clip. The bottom piece is smaller and you should have a more secure grab (for lack of a better term) with the addition of the top piece. And I suspect it will be harder to see if the color of the clip matches your belt as there is less material showing. But for true stealth I'd lean towards the Velcro clip. Yes, it will likely be more hassle until you are used to it

Another tip I came across a while ago is that the Wilderness belts don't agree well with the clips (I think it was the standard clip the guy had). He was using a CTAC for a class and the clips didn't hook onto the belt real well due to the thinness of the belt. He had the holster come out with the gun more than once. With a leather gun belt it works fine.

I also don't know if CT makes the Slide model for all their listed weapons but according to the Gunner Alley page for the Slide they only make it for 1911's and Glocks. Once again, a call would work best I'd think.

FYI Gunners Alley is an online holster (and some other accessories) retailer. They have slightly cheaper prices and shipping than the manufacturers. And they also have a great return policy, incase you need to return your holster. They also stock Don Hume among a few others.
http://www.gunnersalley.com/

This ended up longer than I was thinking it would. ;D

Steelheart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Take a close look at crossbreedholsters.com. This guy handmakes some great holsters that are easy to reholster yet cost much less. 52.50 for the SOB I ordered and about the same for the IWB with the 2 clips.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/files/PICT0083.JPG[img]
[img]http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/files/PICT0138.JPG

It doesn't hurt that the guy carries a pt145 himself. He will make one for about any gun you have and it only takes 6-8 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Two clips, separated as shown in the picture of our Cochise Defender, will provide for a very stable mode of carry. As mentioned, it also provides for an overall thinner profile in comparison to loops/clip being placed directly over the gun.

The cost of the Cochise Defender is $60 + shipping. The Cochise is by far the most popular IWB holster we make, and it is available for a variety of guns. We use Hermann Oak leather in the making of our holsters, which is considered by many of the top makers in the industry to be the best available. It is tanned in the U.S. Some other holster makers use a different brand, which is tanned in Mexico. Each holster maker has their own preference in that respect, and cost of the leather is a consideration.

Good luck in your search, as there are a variety of excellent choices available to you. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K-Man said:
Two clips, separated as shown in the picture of our Cochise Defender, will provide for a very stable mode of carry. As mentioned, it also provides for an overall thinner profile in comparison to loops/clip being placed directly over the gun.

The cost of the Cochise Defender is $60 + shipping. The Cochise is by far the most popular IWB holster we make, and it is available for a variety of guns. We use Hermann Oak leather in the making of our holsters, which is considered by many of the top makers in the industry to be the best available. It is tanned in the U.S. Some other holster makers use a different brand, which is tanned in Mexico. Each holster maker has their own preference in that respect, and cost of the leather is a consideration.

Good luck in your search, as there are a variety of excellent choices available to you. 8)
What's the turnaround time for a Cochise for a PT-145? I'm ready to place my order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
propellarhead:

Our turnaround time is running right at about 10 weeks. We're improving on that every day, but some times things come up that slow us up a bit. In any event, please feel free to contact us at our shop when you're ready. Our number is 813-659-1200, and we're available Monday-Saturday, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm (eastern time).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I need a IWB holster for my PT92 AF with a rail all I have is a crappy soft one that doesn't fit really well, it would be great to find a leather one or a plastic paddle holster that will protect my gun and my hip :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
I was in Houston, TX on Wednesday and found a holster, from Tucker, on the shelf at Collectors Firearms, for both my Taurus Pistols......is this a great country or what???

tex45acp

Here are both my PT-145 Millennium Pro and PT-24/7 in the Tucker Heritage.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
tex45acp said:
I was in Houston, TX on Wednesday and found a holster, from Tucker, on the shelf at Collectors Firearms, for both my Taurus Pistols......is this a great country or what??
I'd say thats a SCORE!!!

Steelheart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I have a Crossbreed Supertuck and it is the best holster I own. I think the two clips help hold the gun where it is. I bought mine for my XD's, but my PT-145 fits perfect in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
propellerhead said:
I'm considering getting an IWB that has two clips. I like the design in a way that it will keep the gun in place. It also allows a thinner profile since the clips are not on top of the gun. The regular single clip IWB holster that I use will rotate when I sit down then stand up. Has anyone else experienced this? Does the two clip holster really help?
You are correct, that the 2-clip doesen't rotate so well. I've got a couple customs, both in 2-clip, and 1-clip.

If it's canted correctly, it doesen't matter (unless you have to deal with ohio's OBSCENE ccw-car laws for the next 20 days like me...), and, as a bonus, the 2-clip ones are less likely to 'walk', and, for some reason, are a TON more comfortable.

Here's one of my favorites (by UBG Holsters...

 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top