Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new CC carrier, looking at various holsters. My carry is a .38 Taurus 82.

I'd like to know what the forum's feeling are on a IWB as opposed to a OWB holster. Just thought a IWB holster would be easier to CC in the summer months here in Florida.

Is it really uncomfortable to carry inside the waist ? They do make a holster that doubles as a IWB and OWB. Thought I could use this type for the cooler jacket months here in Florida.

I'd appreciate and input the forum has.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Recommending a holster to some one is almost as bad as buying underwear for one's lady. But.......................we do it anyway. LOL

I've personally not been impressed with the dual purpose IWB/OWB holsters. I have not found IWB to be uncomfortable with the right holster, but prefer OWB, which is harder to conceal (we do not have open carry in Texas). Any of the holster manufacturers generally make good products and each has it's following. I have holsters by Remora IWB clipless, DeSantis leather, pocket IWB/OWB's, Kholster IWB Crescent & Small Moon, Old Faithful SOB, the latter two hybrid Kydex/leather. Also have a couple of Fobus OWB paddle and I think one Cross Breed which looks very similar to a Kholster Crescent (bought it used/new from another T-A member). You can find good quality holsters in the $25-$50 range. One of the best IMHO is the DeSantis Sof-Tuck on sale less than $20. These are all for my carries 709/740 Slims or PT111/PT140 Mil Pros. I have a Shiner 24-case box full of holsters - they all get used - some more than others. Good luck finding that "perfect" holster.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recommending a holster to some one is almost as bad as buying underwear for one's lady. But.......................we do it anyway. LOL

I've personally not been impressed with the dual purpose IWB/OWB holsters. I have not found IWB to be uncomfortable with the right holster, but prefer OWB, which is harder to conceal (we do not have open carry in Texas). Any of the holster manufacturers generally make good products and each has it's following. I have holsters by Remora IWB clipless, DeSantis leather, pocket IWB/OWB's, Kholster IWB Crescent & Small Moon, Old Faithful SOB, the latter two hybrid Kydex/leather. Also have a couple of Fobus OWB paddle and I think one Cross Breed which looks very similar to a Kholster Crescent (bought it used/new from another T-A member). You can find good quality holsters in the $25-$50 range. One of the best IMHO is the DeSantis Sof-Tuck on sale less than $20. These are all for my carries 709/740 Slims or PT111/PT140 Mil Pros. I have a Shiner 24-case box full of holsters - they all get used - some more than others. Good luck finding that "perfect" holster.
Concealed only in Florida as well, and as I mentioned comfort is a must. I'm checking out the DeSantis website, thanks for the info.

I appreciate the input.

BTW.............I would NEVER purchase ladies underware, would rather go to the dentist.....:D

Thanks again

Joe

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Everyone has opinions just like everyone has a-------.

Like most longtime shooters, I have a box full of holsters purchased with good intentions, worn briefly, and then relegated to the storage box.

As far as an IWB, for the past 3 years, I have almost always used my Florida based High Noon Split Decision. Thin leather, lifetime warranty, and a belt clip that is secure and will not tear the seat covers in the car (reverse "J" design). It is reasonably priced.

High Noon makes an entire line of similar holsters that fit almost anything reasonable, but the Split Decision is tuckable, in case that is necessary.

Split Decision

Handgun holster Gun accessory

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just bought a Crossbreed holster for my pt111 mil pro. Before i was carring with a soft padded holster that the clip could be put on the inside or outside. The Crossbreed is sooooooo comfortable,I forget I'm carrying. IWB is the only way I carry concealed. When I'm deer hunting I carry a full size Ruger p89dc OWB because of the extra clothes on me.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I carry with a Cardini IWB holster.....leather and has the piece on the inside that completely covers the firearm next to me. I,always wear a tee shirt under my shirts, which reduces any sweat factor to boot. For the cooler months I carry with a Fobus Paddle for my 605 as well as my SA XD.

Reactions: joecap1946

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a High Noon holster (all are IWB) for my Glock G30. I like it. Just got a Galco "Stow-and-Go" that was affordable ($26) and has a reinforced opening for my Taurus 605 38/357. I like it a LOT! And, of course, I have to give a thumbs up to Remora. I've got Remoras for almost all my smaller pistols. Great for carry and for just keeping your gun in when loaded. You can't go wrong with the Remora and not sure how your Taurus 82 compares to my 605 but any of the above holsters would NOT make you sorry.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to thank all of you for you input and recommendations on a IWB holster. Finally I have to ask, since most of you have numerous holsters that are in storage (lack of a better word) would any of you consider selling one that would fit my Taurus 82. As I mentioned I prefer a IWB. Here is the revolver I am trying too holster.

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Airsoft

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I would recommend you contact Tommy Theis at http://theisholsters.com/ He makes the best hybrid IWB holsters in the business!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I second the theis holsters

jhp

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I prefer IWB myself. I have Kimber hi-cap .45 and a PT-145 and have no issues with either.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

I carry OWB 99.9% of the time. The .1% is pocket carry.

Ive been carry for over 31 years and have tried every way imaginable and I have settled on OWB at 3:00.

I carry everything from a Kel-Tek PF-9 to a 1911, Taurus PT 845, Glock 20/21 this way.

Paul

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was carrying my PT709 IWB with a DeSantis Tuck-n-Go. It worked pretty well. The pistol practically disappeared under an un-tucked shirt. It was not the most comfortable though. I then purchased a Simply Rugged 'Cuda set for both. I have found it conceals as well OWB as IWB and is more comfortable OWB.

Here are a couple of pictures:

I believe the equivalent Simply Rugged holster would be the Silver Dollar Pancake. I am favorably impressed with the build quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts