Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter how much I try, I can't seem to warm up to IWB CCW. I have used both passport kangaroo and Don Hume H715 and they both seem a bit uncomfortable. I hate the way the holsters cause the gun to jab me. It's quite a pain.

I love using the Don Hume H721OT and Galco Concealable for my Mill pros and PT1911. I think I'm just going to let go of the DH-715 and keep using the OWB holsters.

Anyone else dislike their IWB holsters?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too dislike IWB however my dislike is based on my morphology i.e. my old age dunlap/love handles/spare tire is not condusive to a comfortable, or concealable, IWB carry. I have found, through much trial and error, that the most comfortable and concealable carry for my PT-145 Millenium Pro 3rd Gen is the SmartCarry. BTW I can access my weapon as fast or faster from the SmartCarry than I can with any OWB I have tried.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Experiment (if you haven't already) with large waistband size baggy pants, a proper 2 ply leather belt, and a quality IWB holster. Single clip on IWBs are great for many people but some have better fit with the dual clip types like crossbreed sells.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't stand IWB carry for any weapons. To me, it just feels un-natural. However, many of my co-conspirators sometimes use them.

g19erusa

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shaggydog said:
I too dislike IWB however my dislike is based on my morphology i.e. my old age dunlap/love handles/spare tire is not condusive to a comfortable, or concealable, IWB carry.
Yeah, I forgot to mention the love of my handles ;0

As for the baggies, Those should happen when I attempt to loose my jelly belly...again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
captainamerica said:
Experiment (if you haven't already) with large waistband size baggy pants, a proper 2 ply leather belt, and a quality IWB holster. Single clip on IWBs are great for many people but some have better fit with the dual clip types like crossbreed sells.
+1 for crossbread
I have one for my PT1911 and my 651 and they both work fine.
I also have a smartcarry for the 651 that works very well when needed. (summer time, shirtless, trunks, sweats, gym shorts...)
I'd like to get a Mil Pro 145 sometime soon, and I hope Mark has a crossbreed that'll work for it.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I gotta say .. at first I didn't feel comfortable withthe IWB carry, but after about a week of it, everything seemed normal and I can't even tell it's there anymore. I would like to have a nicer, heavier belt, but it is what it is and I get along just fine. OWB carry is not an option for me because I wear a tucked in shirt all day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never felt comforable with a IWB carry. It seemed that my hip bone was always sore. I bought a nice holster and it is so comfortable. I was always the kind of person who is a stickler for having my shirt tucked, but since I started carrying I have changed my attitude. I wear an undershirt and have started buying longer shirts. With the way kids are wearing these large, baggy shirts, I fit right in.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I can't do it. Not for long periods of time. No matter how hard I try. I do owb or pocket. I've just given up on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No IWB for me. I tried it once for five or six days and never could get comfortable with it. Depending on what I'm carrying I use a Smartcarry, OWB holster or a pocket gun in a desantis nemesis holster.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes, long live the pocket gun! That's why my guns keep getting smaller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
schlemer said:
Anyone else dislike their IWB holsters?
After I got my CHL, all I had to CC was my Dad's old S&W J Frame 6 shot. He had an IWB holster (old Bucheimer), which worked fine.

After I got my PT145, I could only find an Uncle Mike's #15 nylon IWB, which feels great, a little warm, but the MilPro seems to get too far down in it, making the grip hard to catch. It feels fine, CCs nicely with a loose golf shirt (which I can wear at work), but in a pinch, it might be hard to get to the gun.

I've seen some PT145 custom things online, but the wait times seem so far out there!! I have heard the holsters made for the Glock 26 fit the MilPro, so I may take a chance on one of those, to start my holster collection<g>.

As far as IWB in general, I like it and intend to keep doing so whenever possible. I carry strong side, about 3:00, with a slight cant.

Cheers!

harleyb

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Flyer said:
I would like to have a nicer, heavier belt, but it is what it is and I get along just fine.
Flyer, try a BLACKHAWK! 1 1/4 pistol belt. They are a really solid platform and do not sag. This is assuming you are in semi-business attire at work and need a thinner dress belt. I used one for 3 years straight when I worked in plainclothes narcotics. They run about $40 but are well worth it. As for the most solid pistol belt around---Gould & Goodrich 1.75" K-Force. It is a polymer laminate impervious to the elements. Thunderwear is also an excellent option.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't ware Dress Clothes, but For the last Two Days I have carried my Taurus 608 IWB all day. Thats with shorts and T-shirt working at a Coffee Shop. ( 8 shot 357 / 4" ) You need a good belt!!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thats mildly impressive as thats alot of gun!

Steelheart

·
Registered
539 Posts
I did it again today. 608 IWB all day. I do shift it around a little front of hip back of hip. It's not bad at all. If it's not in a good place it lets you know real fast. I'm a fat guy so there is plenty of padding to hold it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've carried IWB for years. It's all in the holster, belt and the weapon of choice. Currently, I carry a compact .45 in a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB holster.

Check out his offerings at: http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/iwbholsters1.html

I am not a small guy, I can wear this setup all day with no issues.

Now, I have to state the obvious, if your pants are already tight on you, chances are sticking a weapon between you and your belt will not make it any more comfortable... Might need to buy a size larger pant to help you fit it all in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used to carry my Mil Pro 9mm in a Galco Skyops tuckable (made for the Glock 26/27). I carried it at about 5 o'clock position (kidney buster) and after about a week, I didn't seem to feel it much. Having donlops and a spare, the standard position of 3 o'clock (for a righty) didn't work, but kidney-buster worked fine. FWIW - it took about 3 days of leaving the Mil Pro in the holster, and another week of carry before the holster worked perfectly, but it worked well.

I ordered a Skyops for my PT1911, but it just doesn't feel right with the big safety. I have a Don Hume that I use more often for the 1911 - when I carry it. But I've gone to smaller pocket guns for ease of carry with my dress style (my Kel Tec is with me 100%).

just another .02

·
Registered
497 Posts
There is no perfect carry method. What works for one, will not necessarily work for someone else. Lots of factors, such as weapon design, body type, clothing, etc. I've tried IWB and it just doesn't flip my switch. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts