Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a NIB Iver Johnson, Thrasher. Sights are not the best, but the trigger out of the box is nice. It only came with one mag. I got 3 metal form mags coming. It's about the same size as the PT111 G2, but weighs a wee-bit more.

I'll try to get out this weekend and see how it works.

Not bad for $325+tax.

Maloy

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Nice looking pistol, enjoy.

·
Registered
37,951 Posts
Appears to be a 1911 Defender or Officers size?
assume its a single stack?
who is making Iver Johnson now?
I think they have been in recent years owned by a few different companies.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't know who made the OP pistol, but here is a recent article that says they import the 1911's from Philippines and Turkey...

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...ohnson-eagle-xl-long-slide-10-mm-1911-pistol/

And from wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iver_Johnson#End_of_Iver_Johnson_and_revival_of_name

·
Registered
32,897 Posts
I just picked up a NIB Iver Johnson, Thrasher. Sights are not the best, but the trigger out of the box is nice. It only came with one mag. I got 3 metal form mags coming. It's about the same size as the PT111 G2, but weighs a wee-bit more.

I'll try to get out this weekend and see how it works.

Not bad for $325+tax.

Maloy

View attachment 360097
I'll be curious to read your range report. My main curiosity is will be a comparison of felt recoil. I wish you had a PT145 for that comparison.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S.A.M. in the Philippines is currently manufacturing for them. Also, it is a single stack with an officer's size frame. However, under their name I guess they do offer a double stack option in 9mm and .45 ACP.

Maloy

·
Registered
949 Posts
I didn't see a double stack (although there may be one), but this looked interesting. Especially the optional 28rd drum magazine...

1911A1 Carbine - Iver Johnson Arms

Shotgun Smoke

S.A.M. in the Philippines is currently manufacturing for them. Also, it is a single stack with an officer's size frame. However, under their name I guess they do offer a double stack option in 9mm and .45 ACP.

Maloy

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I was told they offer a modular system and are trying to compete against Armscor. Also, it appears they make much of their pistols for private labels like Iver Johnson.

I knew there were other 1911 makers in the Philippines, but never paid them much attention. I figured at $325 it would be hard to screw it up after I tore it apart to inspect it before the sale. It's manufacturing is on par with Armscor of just a few years ago in fit and finish.

I don't think there are any direct dealers in the US other than those putting their name on them. I'll have to do a little research on them. Right now I'm off to the range to test it out before it gets dark.

Maloy

Maloy

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I went to one of our local indoor ranges and spent an hour and 200 rounds down range.

First the Pro's

1. It chambered nicely FMJ and JHP. I used some cheap 124 gr. Geco ammo to try it out. HST and American Handgunner were the JHP's I used. When chambering a round, there was no hesitation like the bullets clipped something on the way into the chamber, but a little more to this in the Con's.

2. Accuracy was fantastic for a $325.+Tax 1911 Officer's size pistol. None of the polymer Taurus pistols I own are close to this and it would give my 5" PT1911 or PT92 a run for the money and I'm 120% happy with them. At 15 yards I could keep all rounds in the head of a standard size IPSC target. The construction of this little barking beast is bushing-less with two short recoil springs, and it has a very good trigger from the factory.

3. Recoil was very light for a sub compact pistol in 9mm. Of course it being all steel weighing nearly 36 oz probably was the main contributor to the recoil reduction. This made shot to shot recovery excellent, but some of this will be brought up in the cons.

4. Fit and finish is nice as some of what is being made from US manufacturers and in some cases better. Iver Johnson offers higher end finishes, and this is just the basic 9mm Thrasher. The slide is very smooth in function and there are very few sharp edges. The slide to frame fit is better than some of the lower end Kimber's I have shot and liked. For fit and finish, this Philippine made pistol will give any entry level 1911 US made a run for the money and better in most cases. The wood owl's head grips are a nice touch in honor to the original Iver Johnson company.

5. The factory magazine is a Mec Gar, and the two I borrowed were Check Mate worked great.

Cons

1. The sights suck and are not much better than the standard 1911 GI sights, which really suck. However, they were surprisingly useable after I painted the front sight blaze orange and nothing else. For now I can live with them since they did not seem to hinder my shooting at the range.

2. In the pro's I made some hints for the cons. The factory extractor is badly fitted and does not engage the groove of the 9mm casings very well. I only had failures to feed because the extractor left the casing in the chamber blocking the loaded round from entering. I could not get through a magazine without having a stoppage because the extractor wasn't doing it's job. The slot that engages the extraction groove is the shallowest one I've ever seen installed on a factory 1911. There is enough metal left that I'm confident that I can fix it myself and get it to work as I'm far from a novice working on 1911's. I've tuned and bent many a 1911 extractor over the years. However, I will also buy a quality one from a good company and install it later. Some of the ones I've tuned in the past that were made overseas ended broke during the bending process.

Now one interesting thing was the 124gr. JHP ammo ran flawless in the magazines and extraction. The ammo was +P and the additional velocity of the slide moving rearward kept the casings engaged to the extractor and slide.

Conclusion

The pistol has possibilities and they stood out over the problem with the extractor. When it extracted, it was a joy to shoot and was very accurate. In my opinion, the extractor is one of the weakest points in the 1911. I've repaired new guns for the shop made from Colt, Springfield Armory, Auto Ordinance, Para Ordinance, Taurus, and many others. Most of the time was a bad extractor and other times the ejector. Most of the guns made today are pretty good. The one 1911 I've never had to mess with or work on the extractor was the S&W 1911's, of course they dumped the original design for their own.:D

I also never had to work on a Sig 1911

Once I fix the extraction, it will be a nice piece, and I'll update this.

Maloy

·
Registered
37,951 Posts

Maloy
Thanks!
sounds about like my ATI Titan then.
made by SAM, single stack 45, Defender size.
the Titan has been a good lil pistol for me, hope yours is the same.
Mine shoots well and I like the lighter 185-200 grain self defense ammo in it, it shows a preference for the old school Classic Federal 175 grain hollow point ammo that is standard velocity.

Attachments

Reactions: trooperc7

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Iver Johnson Thrasher (UPDATE)

Well, I reshaped the extractor. It had a hook less than .01". Right now, the hook is around .03".

The thing function perfect in 28-degree with winds more than 10 mph. In short, I froze my butt off at the range today. I did end up having to my self on the 50 yard pistol range.

I put 200 rounds through it using 6, 8-shot, magazines. 3 Metal Form, 2 Checkmate, 1 Mec-Gar (It's what it came with)

All six worked and loaded and fired 4 times each with the exception of the Mec-Gar. It got loaded and used 5 times.

The Check Mate had the stiffest springs and the most difficult to load in the cold. I had to slap the back of the magazines to get the cartridges to seat so the rounds 5 through 8 could be loaded. These were stainless steel and pre-drilled for bumper pads. $18+tax per magazine.

The Mec-Gar was the easiest to load in the cold. No holes in the base for mag bumpers pads. Came with the gun, but range anywhere from $18 to $28. So shop around.

The three Metal Form, were very consistent in fit and feel. Easy to reload and like the others, never failed and held the slide open every time when empty. If I was going to buy more magazines or make them all the same, it would be with these. These were the only magazines that had 9mm marked on their base and were pre-drilled for bumper pads. These were also the cheapest mags at $14.99 from CDNN

So the only real problem with the Thrasher was the extractor not being made correctly. It was a simple enough fix, that I debated a couple days on calling Iver Johnson and see if they would send me a new one. However, I know enough about 1911's to fit one myself and seen that there was not enough metal removed rather than a broken hook. Also, it looked to have plenty of spring and looked bent properly.

In short, after a simple fix, it ran nicely and well worth the $325+tax. It is definitely a Colt Defender knock off. After 400 rounds, the trigger is seating in nicely and for what it is, doesn't need any trigger work. It is a little heavy for CCW and needs a good gun belt to support it. There are a dozen good holster makers making holsters for the Defender and the Thrasher is near identical in size. This model is the base model with a hybrid GI style sights. They are taller than a GI sight and reasonably serviceable. The higher end model has nice Novak style sights.

I'd not have any problem buying another one if the right deal comes along. SAM in the Philippines also make ATI's 1911's. So they too might be worth a look too.

Maloy

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Maloy, where did you get this gun? I have been looking for a couple of months for a Thrasher in 9mm and the cheapest I can find is $455.00. Thanks for the review, it is the tipping point for me. I've read all kinds of good things about the Trasher, But never as objective as yours...

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
I didn't see a double stack (although there may be one), but this looked interesting. Especially the optional 28rd drum magazine...

1911A1 Carbine - Iver Johnson Arms

View attachment 360250
View attachment 360258
Wow. At first I thought that was a gag - a photoshopped gun - but it's real. Why did I think detachable stocks were against some regulation? Or are they just restricted with pistol length barrels? Holding that thing during shooting would be tricky without a fore-mounted grip of some sort.

·
Registered
37,951 Posts
Wow. At first I thought that was a gag - a photoshopped gun - but it's real. Why did I think detachable stocks were against some regulation? Or are they just restricted with pistol length barrels? Holding that thing during shooting would be tricky without a fore-mounted grip of some sort.

don't hold me to this as I do not do class III weapons but I believe that it ahs to do with the long barrel?
I think a stock on a standard length barrel may make it fall under a class III weapon?
also IF the stock is serial numbered the same as the gun then that could be a disclaimer as well?---( IE: WW II German Luger Artillery Model)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Congratulations on getting the Iver Johnson Thrasher! I got an Iver Johnson 1911 a few
years ago with the same grips you have on your gun and it's been a reliable and fun to
shoot pistol. I like the compact size of your pistol, it will probably make a good concealed
pistol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.