Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've ordered a new 605 Poly ** Update post #1 **

Hello all, sort of a new guy here, even though I joined back in '09. Apparently I was considering a Taurus back at that time but never followed though. So no further posting by me. But now I have committed to a 605 Poly Protector. This all came up kind of suddenly. My buddy bought an 85 Poly at the gun show in Harrisburg this past weekend. I thought it was pretty cool and fairly inexpensive. I came home and did a little research and found that the 85s have a decent reputation. I ended up ordering a 605 poly from Bud's because it was only about 4$ more than the 85. I ordered quickly because I found out that at least the poly version of the 85 was being discontinued. I wanted the poly version because I like fiber optic sights and the grip on the poly versions were slightly longer, allowing the little finger to get a grip.

I'm hoping to be able to receive it by the end of next week and look forward to trying it out. I may use it as a carry piece now and then in place of my Springfield XDe that I recently got. I love my XDe but the 605 might be fun to carry also.

I'll report back after I receive it and again after I try it out. With the colder weather I don't go to the range as often. But I'll be anxious to try it out.

** Update **
Got it today. I like it. The thumb slide to release the cylinder needs to get loosened up a little. Doesn't work quite like my Smiths, but didn't cost near as much either.

I'll put up a picture when I can, but in the meantime I'm pretty sure you guys know what it looks like. :)

Probably won't get the range until after Christmas. I'll report back after shooting.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Welcome back to the forum - and a good wheelie for sure

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'll report back after I receive it and again after I try it out. With the colder weather I don't go to the range as often. But I'll be anxious to try it out.
Congrats on the purchase wbw, and look forward to your range report and some pics.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope you enjoy your 605. I was trying to decide between the 605 and 85 Poly. Found a 85 Poly at Dunhams for $239 with a $40 rebate. Couldn't pass it up. I really like the way it carries in a pocket holster while out in the woods. I think with more practice my accuracy will improve.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome back!

May all your experiences here be enriching and enjoyable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was thinking of getting a 605 poly but was on the fence about it until last week when I shot a friend's and really liked it. It is now on my Christmas list. I hope you enjoy yours.

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts

I have this one and a 85SSUL. I often carry the Poly as a primary on my belt and the 85UL resides in my right pocket in a Blackhawk pocket holster. Both are quite accurate and fun to shoot. The trigger on the 605 Poly is slick, but the trigger on the 85UL is awesome. :D The 605 handles full house 140 grain .357s quite well and puts up 550 ft lbs with my handload.

I would caution you not to torque down the grip screw too tight. I've had folks tell me they've stripped it. The threads are in plastic and do not need to be tight to retain the grip. The gun comes with two grips, a boot grip and a full size grip that fills the hand. I've fired it with the boot grip and it handles the recoil well enough, but I never pocket carry it, so I keep the full size grip on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts