Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got the fever again to buy a new handgun and I’m soliciting your advice and suggestions. I’m a young 67-year-old retired veteran and retired airport DPS security officer and the only reason I conceal carry is to be prepared for an event that God willing, will never come. I also LOVE to go to the range!

I’m not excited about the Taurus Spectrum that I bought. It just doesn’t feel good when I shoot it, if that’s really possible.

Shame on me I have a Ruger LCP that has been replaced once by the company, I tried to give the first gun back just to have it destroyed, but Ruger said they had no choice but to replace it.

I love my Taurus TH9, TH9c, but now I’m looking at the Taurus G2c (?) as a concealed EDC in a belt or paddle holster. Thank you all very much in advance for sharing with me.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
There are more choices for 380 and 9mm firearms than for any other caliber. shop around for the firearm that feels the best to you and put a couple of rounds down range to see how it shoots. Your best bet for getting to feel a bunch of the firearms available is a gun show. If you were comfortable with the Beretta 92, and want something smaller, look for a Beretta 85. Don't limit yourself for 2019 model year productions. Older firearms may give you the feel and enjoyment shooting that you're looking for.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Also try out your candidates at a range where you can rent them. You might find that there's one that you really like that you can't shoot at all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dont know exactly what you are looking for but my last purchase was a Ruger Security9 and so far I have 800 rounds through it with not a hiccup only thing is it has Glock style sights. If you watch these are usually on sale at Academy, I got mine at Bass Pro and had some credit points and scored a great deal.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Step on over to the wild side like I did and remember your youth (or at least mine) and get yourself a Henry lever action rifle in .22LR, or a caliber of your choice. I have WAY TOO MUCH fun with this rifle at the outdoor range and other places, ammo is cheap (for now), and it just is a great "cowboy like" rifle that the likes of the Lone Ranger or one of the Cartwrights would have used on those TV shows of our youth.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about a revolver? A model 85 or 605?
I had a Taurus 605 and I just gave it to one of my grandson's for his first handgun. He turned out to be a crack shot with it. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
You might look at the S & W compact, 15 rounds plus one in the chamber. I really like mine. As was suggested go to the range and try several different guns and see what you like.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I’ve got the fever again to buy a new handgun and I’m soliciting your advice and suggestions. I’m a young 67-year-old retired veteran and retired airport DPS security officer and the only reason I conceal carry is to be prepared for an event that God willing, will never come. I also LOVE to go to the range!

I’m not excited about the Taurus Spectrum that I bought. It just doesn’t feel good when I shoot it, if that’s really possible.

Shame on me I have a Ruger LCP that has been replaced once by the company, I tried to give the first gun back just to have it destroyed, but Ruger said they had no choice but to replace it.

I love my Taurus TH9, TH9c, but now I’m looking at the Taurus G2c (?) as a concealed EDC in a belt or paddle holster. Thank you all very much in advance for sharing with me.
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second, every fever demands treatment! First thing I did after an 8 week surgery recovery couple years back was to cure the fever with steel! I’m 3 weeks into another 8 week into another surgical recovery and when I’m released to WALK, and drive, . . Whoa boy! I hitting the gun stores and supplies with a vengeance. Nothing will be out of range of consideration for that recovery release!

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it and get to shoot it a lot! :) I am "semi/almost retired" and can hardly wait for the day when I'm really retired, as working even just a few days a week cramps my style and keeps me from the range way too often!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sekol I was the same way about retirement could not wait and now that I have been retired 5 years we are busier than we ever were when we worked, the grandkids and running errands for those that still work keep you busier than you will realize, and my range time still suffers.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Considering myself as a Professional Retired person, and it seems that the longer that i recieve a government check (3 actually) that i keep getting sorrier and sorrier, add to that I now have a cell phone and I don't want to hit a lick at a snake myself!
I do find I have an uncontrollable urge to wear 3-4 pair of underwear and my pants down below my cheeks!
I have always strived to be the best that I could at any occupation that I tried!

·
Registered
37,059 Posts

well of what is out there in a concealable 380-9MM I have had a few.
Carried a Sig Sauer 238 for several years, the Kimber 380, or the Springfield 911 is the same basic pistol.
all kind of Colt Mustang Clones but improved and that's what I would suggest in a 380.
Now my current carry backup pocket gun is the Sig Sauer 365 , tis the only thing personally that I would have replaced my 238 with, the 365 is a 9 MM.

Attachments

Reactions: twolfe55 and Sekol

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Well , I'm getting more than warm myself for a new gun. I'm going to shoot a Kel Tec PMR30 and see if i really want it. I have never own a .22 magnum. I have shot a few .22WMR revolvers and a bolt rifle. I'm more likely to go with a ported compensated .357 3" revolver but... Lead on target is the name of the game. I find that i carry a gun i hit with over caliber.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

:07:

Buy once.....cry once.....

:flute:

Reactions: olfarhors

·
9,089 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for medium priced carry/range tool. The G2C is ok, and will be accurate enough and serve you well. There are a few other options: one of my favorites in a similar price range are the Ruger SR9c and SR9. The new Ruger security 9 series in compact and subcompact are also very good choices. Used Glock 26's and 19's can be had for about $50 - $100 more, and as long as you don't suffer from Glock knuckle knock or Glock trigger finger pinch, those are excellent choices. Good luck and have fun.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
G2C is a fine carry gun, regardless of what most others are saying......................
And think about this, once you buy one, you can afford too get ammo too shoot with!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I think you will be very happy with a Taurus G2C.
I had a PT-738 that was having FTE problems. I sent it back to the factory, and they said they could not repair it. They wanted to replace it with a Spectrum, but I asked if I could have a G2C instead. They approved, and I am very pleased with it.
If you're looking for a .380 firearm, I have a Ruger LCP-II, and a Bersa Thunder 380; both of which I am happy with.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts