Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. Before I start I do have a handgun carry permit in TN. I reside in Tennessee but in 2 weeks I'll be riding down to Bike Week in Daytona, FL. TN is an open carry state but it looks like Georgia and Florida are not. I usually carry in an OWB holster with the thumb strap on when I'm on my motorcycle. My cousin asked a sheriff in Florida and they said I would be best to just put it in my backpack and strap it to the back. Being that I don't live in either one of those states I'm not sure just how much concealment is needed for it to be concealed. Obviously I don't want to get into trouble but I also want to be safe. If you have ideas or suggestions I'm open. Thanks

Administrator
I would think Georgia and Florida, would define concealed the same as Texas. You can't see any of the firearm. But we've got members from both states that can clarify that better!

Reactions: Jake3501

Registered
If you go through Georgia and South Carolina to Florida, you are good to go all 3 for concealed.
All 3 honor your permit.

Registered
Hello All. Before I start I do have a handgun carry permit in TN. I reside in Tennessee but in 2 weeks I'll be riding down to Bike Week in Daytona, FL. TN is an open carry state but it looks like Georgia and Florida are not. I usually carry in an OWB holster with the thumb strap on when I'm on my motorcycle. My cousin asked a sheriff in Florida and they said I would be best to just put it in my backpack and strap it to the back. Being that I don't live in either one of those states I'm not sure just how much concealment is needed for it to be concealed. Obviously I don't want to get into trouble but I also want to be safe. If you have ideas or suggestions I'm open. Thanks
Get on the internet and search the reciprocity laws of every state you will be traveling thru. I assume TN,GA,FL. It is a federal offense to transport weapons across state lines. Check that too, it may just be loaded weapons. The chances of getting caught? Pretty slim. Florida is only concealed but we have several restricted places. In other words don't go into a bar with a firearm. Be careful out there. This time every year I hear on the news about dead people at bike week or Spring break.

Registered

Registered
If I'm not mistaken, the federal law is that if your state allows concealed carry then you can CC through states that don't with the following conditions: 1. You are not staying overnight and you only stop for gas and food,
2. Your destination state does allow and honors your states CC.

Registered
If I'm not mistaken, the federal law is that if your state allows concealed carry then you can CC through states that don't with the following conditions: 1. You are not staying overnight and you only stop for gas and food,
2. Your destination state does allow and honors your states CC.
Federal laws do allow for transport, but dont try that in New York State they will put you in jail.... period! Not sure but I believe the same thing will happen in Illinois.

Super Moderator
I know that in Georgia, the GFL allows for open or concealed carry. As stated above, Georgia will honor your Tenn license; however, I am not sure if that "honor of reciprocity" covers concealed or open carry. I also know that your bike is treated the same as your automobile - an extension of your home where you are not required to have a permit to keep/carry a gun. If you carry concealed - should be no problem. If you carry open, use good sense and don't dawdle or linger displaying your iron.

Good luck at Bike Week. I used to go annually but haven't attended since ~ 2002. Gotten a little older and preparing to part ways with the old steel horse . . .

Registered
Federal laws do allow for transport, but dont try that in New York State they will put you in jail.... period! Not sure but I believe the same thing will happen in Illinois.
The State of Illinois recognizes Federal Transportation Laws but since they don't have a preemption law, local municipalities and cities may not. Don't even think about trying it in Chicago!

Registered
If you go through Georgia and South Carolina to Florida, you are good to go all 3 for concealed.
All 3 honor your permit.
SC is a bit more forgiving even if they don't recognize your State's CCW (They don't recognize mine). You can at least put the firearm in your glove box instead of the trunk or cargo compartment of your vehicle. Many states won't even allow the glove box trick, federal transport laws or nothing.

Registered
You may transport your firearm through non friendly/ non reciprocating states but not carry. Transport usually means gulag rules, unloaded in a locked case or inaccessible to driver.

New York state is not too bad, but Bloombergistan (NYC) is to be avoided, as is Illinois and New Jersey.

Premium Member

Registered
FL & TN have reciprocity regarding CCW permits. Concealed in FL means concealed. Inadvertant flashing is not a crime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts