Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading probably +20 posts, both here and on a couple other forums, I've decided not to wait for a problem to develope with my 1911's thumb safety. Off she goes to the 'smith for a Wilson Tactical left side of the slide thumb safety and a bit stronger safety detent spring. After discussing these sights with the smith he said he would shoot it, do some measurements and see what would be required to put on a set of elevation adjustable sights.

How did that ole saying go, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." ;D

Des

·
Registered
126 Posts
While both sayings have merit, I'm with Desmond on the thumb safety swap. :D
If you don't need the right one and you don't want to wait for yours to break, get rid of it. ;)

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
You have to feel comfortable with your gun - if you're worried that there might be a problem, then it'll be in the back of your mind every time you carry it.....Wilson tactical is supposed to be top-notch, they should do a great job.

Although my sights aren't 'broke', I'm going to put some Heinie tritium night sights on my Mil Pro - I don't want to take a chance on needing a sight picture and not having one.....

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Desmond said:
How did that ole saying go, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." ;D

Des
Congratulations... if you're not happy or satisfied... make yourself happy... I did. I think I could have been happy with remembering to squeeze the two parts together, but since I'm right handed... I only needed the left hand safety and I just didn't want to take a chance on the right hand safety pulling off from a concealed carry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thumb safeties have to be hand fitted. The smith that is going to do mine likes the Wilson Tactical for $31.50 plus shipping. The thumb ledge is long and a bit more narrow than the stock safety. Bunches of companies make their own version. Visit the Brownells or Midway web sites and browse around.

Des

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
Thats a pretty reasonable price Desmond.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts