Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I'm impressed...
Lake County Commission voted unanimously...

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
WOW!
Knowing a few city. county, State and federal employees Believe me I would not be real comfortable working, hanging out , or gathering with them if I knew they had a weapon .
and to think about all the disagreement and arguments that occur at work?
it may seem like a good thing but really think about it.
a carry permit doesn't make everyone a safe handler of a firearm.
Now mandatory training and passage yearly would offer ME a slightly different view on this.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW!
Knowing a few city. county, State and federal employees Believe me I would not be real comfortable working, hanging out , or gathering with them if I knew they had a weapon .
Now mandatory training and passage yearly would offer ME a slightly different view on this.

Are you saying that people with a CCW are ok to carry a weapon when off duty but not while they are working?

It sounds like you are saying we should make decisions about people's right to protect themselves on the job dependent on something that "might" happen?

Don

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I think he "maybe" saying based on his years of being exposed to: self absorbed, gold bricking, lack luster, ME ME, ME.. city and county employees...he has little faith in their ability to control themselves... which many blatantly abuse what little power that they do have over the citizens, of which their coworkers are also comprised.

If so, I tend to agree. Lots of petty people with power trip issues from coast to coast in this fine country from my experience and travels across it. YMMV

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
to assume that someone can safely handle a firearm simply because they have a carry permit is very bad decision in my opinion.
we can spin off into ranting about the second amendment if thats the way we want to go, or we can discuss what happens in the real world.
I can easily see 3-4 workers behind the old bus shed pulling out their weapons and showing the others how good it feels, or riding down the road in a government vehicle and deciding the guy that changed lanes in front of them they need to pull over and read the riot act to them with gun in hand.
again I HAVE worked in Government for over 30 years, you can't assume that everybody is born with the same common sense and I see a lot of liability involved in this decision , especially without training and certification.
but again that's just my opinion and experience.
everything isn't about the second amendment even though many want to automatically go there.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
WOW!
Projection of your biases on government employees is not rational. It is a continuation of the leftist .... Oh noes, if we allow concealed carry blood will run in the streets. Apparently you were fire department, ie a government employee....so does this negative view of their lack of self control apply to you?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
to assume that someone can safely handle a firearm simply because they have a carry permit is very bad decision in my opinion.
we can spin off into ranting about the second amendment if thats the way we want to go, or we can discuss what happens in the real world.
I can easily see 3-4 workers behind the old bus shed pulling out their weapons and showing the others how good it feels, or riding down the road in a government vehicle and deciding the guy that changed lanes in front of them they need to pull over and read the riot act to them with gun in hand.
again I HAVE worked in Government for over 30 years, you can't assume that everybody is born with the same common sense and I see a lot of liability involved in this decision , especially without training and certification.
everything isn't about the second amendment even though many want to automatically go there.
It IS about the 2nd Amendment, all have the rights AND the responsibilities if they do wrong.

·
23,195 Posts
Yeah, let's do that. We heard similar arguments when concealed carry started to sweep the nation. They have been proven wrong.
We heard similar arguments when states started to move to constitutional carry. They have been proven wrong.

I see this as a good thing. Seems obvious to me.

Reactions: BigBlue and jtg452

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
And that's different from any other person with a CCW how?

Both examples you used have happened with private citizens instead of government employees- along with a LOT worse. Like the 'special soul' that opened fire on the Walmart shoplifter that was driving away last year.

There's idjits everywhere. Some of them get permits. Some of the ones with permits do idjit things with guns. Catch them, prosecute them, and, in the case of city employee idjits, fire them.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I applaud their effort but the State preemption law will likely force the changes removal.

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
And that's different from any other person with a CCW how?

Both examples you used have happened with private citizens instead of government employees- along with a LOT worse. Like the 'special soul' that opened fire on the Walmart shoplifter that was driving away last year.

There's idjits everywhere. Some of them get permits. Some of the ones with permits do idjit things with guns. Catch them, prosecute them, and, in the case of city employee idjits, fire them.
A few differences or things to consider in my opinion.
1) its different because they are not on the clock and do not represent any particular company/ government , so they basically are the only ones responsible for their actions.
2) what if said Government employees say work in a secured area (court house/ school/ jail ?) what if they are maintenance people and are at work and required to go repair something inside one of these areas?
so do they not go because of the concealed weapon?
do they leave it in the truck/car?
do they go by the office and store the gun in their locker and then go repair the problem?
3) while we may not like nor agree with the fact , there are people that also pay taxes and they do not like firearms, and most would not like to see Government employees carrying a firearm I would think on the job unless they are law enforcement.
things sound very simple and good at first thought but then if you think about it many times they present problems and are a solution to an almost not existent problem.
when you are on the payroll then you are obligated to follow work rules, when you at on your own time you are only obligated to use common sense hopefully.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Projection of your biases on government employees is not rational. It is a continuation of the leftist .... Oh noes, if we allow concealed carry blood will run in the streets. Apparently you were fire department, ie a government employee....so does this negative view of their lack of self control apply to you?

Its not only toward government employees ,as a business owner or manager then you should have the right to limit certain things that you feel undesirable or dangerous within the confines of your employees/ work location .
simple to me.
And yes I have no self control at all, I would have thought that was evident.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
It IS about the 2nd Amendment, all have the rights AND the responsibilities if they do wrong.
the courts have already made it clear that the Second amendment does not universally cover everyone nor every place that one can carry a weapon.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
WOW!
The OP was about Lake County Florida, don't they have mandatory training for a CHL?

You're in Georgia, do they require training for a CHL?

No, a carry permit doesn't make that person a safe handler of a firearm, any more than a Drivers License make someone a safe driver. For that matter, a police badge doesn't automatically make someone a safe gun handler either. In my state cops have had the same or more negligent discharges with guns as concealed carriers. The only thing training does is teach someone what safe handling is. Whether someone chooses to continue to apply what they're taught or not is up to them.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Regarding the bolded, so why hasn't someone complained about them? In my state someone who did that would've risked being arrested for aggravated menacing, and lose their CHL, or even shot if the other person had a CHL also.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
Whether it be an employer, a movie theater, a mall, whomever, telling me that I cannot have the means to protect myself should put the onus of my protection on them. In the case of gun free zones instituted by the government, the government should be liable for your protection. As we've seen, the government failed miserably. I find it offensive that anyone can demand that you give up your right to self protection under any circumstances. What other right is treated in this cavalier manner? If your employer or local school was posted as being off limits to Muslims, would that fly? Why should it be acceptable to infringe on your second amendment rights, but not your first amendment rights?

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
The OP was about Lake County Florida, don't they have mandatory training for a CHL?

You're in Georgia, do they require training for a CHL?

No, a carry permit doesn't make that person a safe handler of a firearm, any more than a Drivers License make someone a safe driver. For that matter, a police badge doesn't automatically make someone a safe gun handler either. In my state cops have had the same or more negligent discharges with guns as concealed carriers. The only thing training does is teach someone what safe handling is. Whether someone chooses to continue to apply what they're taught or not is up to them.
NO Georgia does not have any certification, as many states don't. that's also a problem for me personally, the way I see it is IF you want to have a gun in your home or even your car then fine, but once you start carrying it out in public among others then you should have a certification test periodically.
The fact that many seem to over look here is that as an Employee , you should feel and be as safe as possible in the work place, that's never 100% of course.
but I can even see issues with OSHA suits against the employer about this as it can/ may/ will reduce work place safety.
as I stated in my original response, the problem that I have is the lack of training and recertification.
Believe me I know/ have seen enough certified law enforcement that have problems remaining firearm certified, so just assuming that because someone carries a gun they are safe to me doesn/t hold true.
and again I know government employees that I would not to be around if they had a carry permit or not, matter of fact a few I will not even go to the range with.

·
Registered
37,059 Posts
Regarding the bolded, so why hasn't someone complained about them? In my state someone who did that would've risked being arrested for aggravated menacing, and lose their CHL, or even shot if the other person had a CHL also.
Actually they have. at least around here, the employee ultimately lost their job.
Hell we had a city manager use his emergency lights to pull over a 18 wheeler on I-75 and try to arrest him.
of course he had no authority to use emergency devices, actually the city car was not even suppose to have such things on it and he had no arrest powers outside the city limits.
He after a while of negotiating lost his job by voluntary resignation and a court appearance.
he wasn/t even inside the city limits or this county---sooo???
despite what many think there really is no shortage of idiots amongst us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts