Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article at CNS News, "Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up with Demand, Reassure Eager Customers" includes pull quotes from Hornady and Remington as well as some dealers. Hornady's representative was asked specifically if they were selling a lot of ammo to government entities. His answer: "Nope, less than 5%."
It's panic buying and profiteering that's prolonging this shortage. So keep calm and wait it out a bit. It WILL get better - but as long as the current administration keeps the rhetoric ramped up, folks will continue to get panicky and profiteers will be eager to take advantage.
As Douglas Adams famously wrote, "Don't Panic!"
Coypu

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Whatever..;)

Reactions: rogertc1

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I really don't think the ammo shortage is the government buying it up. It is just us panic buying. Before this all started after the election, all my buddies had an adequate supply for the amount they normally shoot. They all now have enough to last a few years, again based on how much they normally shoot, and they are not even shooting. They don't want to 'run out'! Their thinking just doesn't make sense. Mulitply that by all the other shooters doing the same thing, and you can see we created the problem. I know that there are also a lot more gun purchases recently that have also helped consume some ammo and with supply down, there are always people willing to take advantage of a situation by buying and reselling - at a profit. It will start settling down and I see signs of that already.

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
Eventhough I wouldn't put it past Obama. (I did not vote for him.) Asd I agree with what HD-Mike said. I have had a life time supply of ammo longb before Sandy Hook. Built it up over the last 30 years. A lot of new gun owners out there now are having a hard time finding ammo and the manufacturers are have a hard time to bring it back., It is normal for gun owners to have a few thousand rounds.The suppy will catch up.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have a good supply,but not enough.I will not buy until things settle down,too many people having ammo panic attacks as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Theres still plenty of ammo out there. Just look on gunbroker and other resell sites. The problem is that the supply is being intercepted by scalpers before most ppl can get to it. It will get back to normal when ppl stop paying the inflated prices and its no longer obscenely profitable to resell it.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Supply will ease, it'll just take time.

As for me I have what I want and I will keep buying it to replace what we shoot but I'm not trying to build a stockpile or anything.

Reactions: coypu76 and G8R8U2

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I mentioned in another thread like this, that there are 270,000,000 guns estimated to be in the United States. If everyone bought ONE 50 round box for every gun, we'd move 13.5 BILLION rounds off the shelves. So, you can imagine what has happened as new people bought a gun, and several boxes of ammunition. This doesn't count the scalpers and profiteers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have met the enemy...and he is us.
Like most folks I have an adequate supply, I've just not been able to buy on a regular basis as before. However, I disagree with this statement. From what I saw this weekend at the gun show, the enemy is the a**hole selling the 500 round box of .22lr for $100! It made me mad, I mean like blood boiling mad. Had my daughter not been with me I would have probably been thrown out. The vendor and I managed to both keep our cool, but cross words were said. Basically I let him know that he should be ashamed of himself for taking advantage of a situation just to make a buck. Basically all ammo for sale was a minimum of double the price, and people were buying it up. Where do these people live, BFE? Granted supplies have been thin, but I've still been able to find what I need(except .223) on store shelves at regular prices with minimal effort.

Man, I'm still hot about it...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Everyday at work I run into lots and lots of people that are willing to buy thousands of rounds of ammo and then blame the government or gougers when they can't get any. I have said it before on this site, we are getting more ammo than before but sales are through the roof. What used to last months lasts hours, tons of new shooter that are afraid of not finding ammo, high volume shooters and people that are realizing that having the gun means nothing without the ammo are fueling the buying frenzy.
Also not to be overlooked is the jerks buying to resale at ridiculous prices hurt. We put a limit to not only let everyone get some but also to discourage the gougers but they are resourceful. Had to kick a guy out Saturday, he was solociting people to buy .22lr ammo for him. I happened to hear him while I was in the restroom. When we told him he got furious and said he were discriminating against him because he was in a wheelchair.
Guess the ADA also applies to stupidity?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
While I agree that blame for the current ammo shortage is mainly due to panic buying, the grabbers in our gov't are
fully aware of what is going on, and how it is affecting gun owners. Just about the time ammo starts to become
commonly available again, I expect them to come up with something to throw us back into a drought.

Did anyone catch Rep. Diana DeGette's comments last week? She has been widely criticized for her ignorance regarding
Magazines/Clips (rightly so), but I get the sense that her comment was directed towards ammo just as much as hi cap mags.

"I will tell you these are ammunition -- bullets -- so the people who have those now they are going to shoot them, and so if you
ban -- if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time
because the bullets will have been shot and there won't be any more available,"

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Like most folks I have an adequate supply, I've just not been able to buy on a regular basis as before. However, I disagree with this statement. From what I saw this weekend at the gun show, the enemy is the a**hole selling the 500 round box of .22lr for $100! It made me mad, I mean like blood boiling mad. Had my daughter not been with me I would have probably been thrown out. The vendor and I managed to both keep our cool, but cross words were said. Basically I let him know that he should be ashamed of himself for taking advantage of a situation just to make a buck. Basically all ammo for sale was a minimum of double the price, and people were buying it up. Where do these people live, BFE? Granted supplies have been thin, but I've still been able to find what I need(except .223) on store shelves at regular prices with minimal effort.

Man, I'm still hot about it...
I take a different stance. He's just a capitalist filling supply and demand (and should be commended for it). By his charging $100 for a brick of .22lr he is keeping it on the market for purchase by someone who might need it. For example someone who just bought their first .22 and had nothing to begin with. It's just the free market. Like you said people were willing to pay it. There is nothing wrong there and he should feel no shame what so ever.

Now It sounds like you are like me and I personally would not buy it at that price unless I had a very good reason. I am sure we are not alone there and those who are willing to buy $100 bricks of .22 will soon have enough at that price. At that price he runs the risk of the market drying up and possibly having to sell at a loss.

But as long as he has the product he is well within his rights to ask whatever price he wants and we are well within ours to say, no thank you I'll pass.

I think this whole situation is a great lesson in economics and the free market.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Before I go to a gun show or an LGS, I do some online research about the product I think I need, whether it be a firearm, accessory or ammunition. In the case of ammo, if I've bought it previously then I know what I should be paying for it. With guns and accessories, I kind of get a feel for a fair price from online sellers and from consulting Davidson's Gallery of Guns to get a feel for local prices.

Then I go to the LGS or the gun show and do my "window shopping". If the tagged price on an item is higher than I think it should be - or higher than I want to pay - I go on to the next dealer.

I do not stop and berate anyone about high prices (and, believe me, I've seen a few). If I'm truly interested, particularly in a used firearm, I might ask whether the price is negotiable. If not, I move on.

To get all fired up because someone is obviously price gouging is not the brightest thing you can do with your time or do to your blood pressure.

It is like trying to teach a pig to whistle: it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I take a different stance. He's just a capitalist filling supply and demand (and should be commended for it). By his charging $100 for a brick of .22lr he is keeping it on the market for purchase by someone who might need it. For example someone who just bought their first .22 and had nothing to begin with. It's just the free market. Like you said people were willing to pay it. There is nothing wrong there and he should feel no shame what so ever.

Now It sounds like you are like me and I personally would not buy it at that price unless I had a very good reason. I am sure we are not alone there and those who are willing to buy $100 bricks of .22 will soon have enough at that price. At that price he runs the risk of the market drying up and possibly having to sell at a loss.

But as long as he has the product he is well within his rights to ask whatever price he wants and we are well within ours to say, no thank you I'll pass.

I think this whole situation is a great lesson in economics and the free market.
Great point made here. When it becomes wrong is when WW employees are buying it up before it hits retail shelves to then go sell it for double on gun broker. Always about who you know, not what you know.

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
It's actually very simple math when it comes to determining what is driving the shortage right now, and that is FEAR. The same thing that drove it the first time during the financial collapse and the first black President being elected (and a lib to boot). Only this time it's worse, as now many are convinced the US is losing its Superpower status, the economy and job growth are still horrible, the debt is at an all time high and has next to a zero chance of actually being paid off, Obama got a second term and now he's talking guns on a the heels of some of the worst mass shootings in our history. Oh and lets not forget, some of the countries most likely to nuke us are now well on the way to nukes or have them already. So you have a whole lot of people thinking on the one hand and best case scenario, they are coming for our guns and infringing on our rights. On the other hand and worst case scenario, ammo will be worth its weight in gold and become the new currency when the world goes to hell in a hand basket. In other words, the sky is falling. And until the sky proves otherwise, this is the way things are going to be.

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

I agree, it's his right to sell it for whatever he wants.
It's also my right to tell him he's a jerk for charging insane prices!

·
Registered
7,759 Posts

Absolutely! I love the cognitive dissonance displayed when capitalism/free market fans get burned by someone practicing what they preach. (I'm all for it [free market] unless it involves a true necessity.)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great point made here. When it becomes wrong is when WW employees are buying it up before it hits retail shelves to then go sell it for double on gun broker. Always about who you know, not what you know.

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM
What difference does it make if it's a WW employee or Joe Blow at the gun show, it's still wrong! I understand that it's a free market and his right, but he has the right to be wrong! I've tried all my life to make good moral decisions and teach my kids to do the same. Am I the only one here who has a conscience?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts