Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you know 'know' me will know that whilst I set great store in most of the laws of our land, there are some which leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Up to now I have regaled you with, what might seem to you, the strange laws regarding firearms in Great Britain as a whole. Now it's time for slant on equally strange laws, this time regarding knives.

OK, so what's a knife? Handle and blade. That's it. OK, there are different types of knife, fixed blade and folding blade. Right. OK then, why can I carry certain knives but others I can't?? Simple, you have to determine what the law says is legal.

I can, legally, carry a fixed bladed hunting knife.. when I'm hunting, or going to or coming from a hunt. That's fine, no problem. But if my wife calls me enroute home and asks me to get some milk and I stop off at a store and have the knife on my belt.. I have broken the law.

It's all about whether I am carrying a knife in a 'public place'. Also a knife, with a blade of 3" or less, that folds is fine. It's a pocket knife. However if said knife has a blade that locks... Oooops.. not allowed in a public place. And the same applies to multi tools.

I can have, and use, a 12" bladed machete, in my garden or on private land that I have permission to be on. Anywhere else it's classed as an Offensive Weapon. Switch blades are totally illegal anywhere.

Strange that, in Europe, a knife that has a locking blade is deemed to be a Health & Safety compliant tool..!!

I know two guys in England who make a little beer money converting multitools so the bladed don't lock..!!

Personally I think the bureaucrat who thought up these laws was / is a spoon lover..

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Those of you know 'know' me will know that whilst I set great store in most of the laws of our land, there are some which leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Up to now I have regaled you with, what might seem to you, the strange laws regarding firearms in Great Britain as a whole. Now it's time for slant on equally strange laws, this time regarding knives.

OK, so what's a knife? Handle and blade. That's it. OK, there are different types of knife, fixed blade and folding blade. Right. OK then, why can I carry certain knives but others I can't?? Simple, you have to determine what the law says is legal.

I can, legally, carry a fixed bladed hunting knife.. when I'm hunting, or going to or coming from a hunt. That's fine, no problem. But if my wife calls me enroute home and asks me to get some milk and I stop off at a store and have the knife on my belt.. I have broken the law.

It's all about whether I am carrying a knife in a 'public place'. Also a knife, with a blade of 3" or less, that folds is fine. It's a pocket knife. However if said knife has a blade that locks... Oooops.. not allowed in a public place. And the same applies to multi tools.

I can have, and use, a 12" bladed machete, in my garden or on private land that I have permission to be on. Anywhere else it's classed as an Offensive Weapon. Switch blades are totally illegal anywhere.

Strange that, in Europe, a knife that has a locking blade is deemed to be a Health & Safety compliant tool..!!

I know two guys in England who make a little beer money converting multitools so the bladed don't lock..!!

Personally I think the bureaucrat who thought up these laws was / is a spoon lover..
Now you went in did it, spoons will be next!

If fact I maybe wrong but I remember seeing a bunch of knives that where seized in Britain and there was a spoon in the picture.

I have a large collection of knives and use them on a daily basis. I currently carry a locking folder with a blade just under 4" and of course a small Swiss Army knife.

The large one is used the most and has a razor sharp edge.

I use it for cooking, opening all kinds of things and it's big enough that I would use it for self defense. TN. past a law making just about any knife legal to carry and many Tennesseans carry some pretty impressive blades.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Florida Concealed Weapons license allows us to carry a dirk! So long as it's concealed - and blackjacks too! Ha ha - :D

Actually, I've been on the lookout for some kind of dagger or perhaps an automatic knife. There are some beautiful automatics - generally fairly expensive depending on the maker.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I keep telling you, Tom, there's a house for sale down the road.

Concealed carry permits are $20 a year- $15 for seniors. And take a look at Alabama knife law. Other rhan some old stuff on bowies that's still on the books, it ain't that bad.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I've moved about the US quite a bit, and knife laws are insanely varied. CA allowed a dirk or dagger, but not an automatic knife. Chicago restricted knives to those short enough not to cross the width of the police officer's palm. (That really varies.) Washington State outlaws automatic knives, even for law enforcement officers. Kentucky, where I now reside, allows you to carry any knife at any time, from a tiny pen knife up to a sword, even in government buildings. There is no rhyme or reason. Federal law prohibits the interstate sale of automatic knives UNLESS the buyer provides a medical statement that he is one armed. After several years I just gave up and carried what every I wanted wherever I wanted save for airports. Sound suppressor laws are even more insane.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I've moved about the US quite a bit, and knife laws are insanely varied. CA allowed a dirk or dagger, but not an automatic knife. Chicago restricted knives to those short enough not to cross the width of the police officer's palm. (That really varies.) Washington State outlaws automatic knives, even for law enforcement officers. Kentucky, where I now reside, allows you to carry any knife at any time, from a tiny pen knife up to a sword, even in government buildings. There is no rhyme or reason. Federal law prohibits the interstate sale of automatic knives UNLESS the buyer provides a medical statement that he is one armed. After several years I just gave up and carried what every I wanted wherever I wanted save for airports. Sound suppressor laws are even more insane.
Same here. I started carrying a pocket knife when I was in the cub scouts in the early 1960s. I used to let it dangle from my belt whenever I wore my uniform, in school and after. No one ever said a word. I wore a folding buck knife in a scabbard after I got out of boot camp. Carried the same knife into the 90s, when it grew legs and walked away when I was at work. I've had various pocket folders since then. Legal? I bought them so they must be, right? Legality has never come up, so it's never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have but a couple of knives. This one, a Willumsen folder

lansky-sharpener-world-legal-lkn333-large.jpg

Excellent knife with good strong blade that holds an edge well.

And this, a Swedish Mora hunting knife. Super sharp, perfect for dressing out deer, handle is rubber covered which affords excellent grip. These sell here at around $15.00..!! Ridiculous price for a knife of this quality. But I'm not complaining.

mo11867$01-mora-companion-heavy-duty-f-carbon-oranje-mo11867-d1.jpg

Actually I have another one of these which functions only as a 'do all' kitchen knife.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have but a couple of knives. This one, a Willumsen folder

View attachment 464763

Excellent knife with good strong blade that holds an edge well.

And this, a Swedish Mora hunting knife. Super sharp, perfect for dressing out deer, handle is rubber covered which affords excellent grip. These sell here at around $15.00..!! Ridiculous price for a knife of this quality. But I'm not complaining.

View attachment 464765

Actually I have another one of these which functions only as a 'do all' kitchen knife.
Dang,.when I first read the post, I thought you said wuhan folder i was like " Get rid of that". Apparently it's a different strain
Seriously tho,.knife.laws like.thar???that's crazy.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Texas knife laws changed a couple of years ago for the better. We can wear swords now. I will buy my first sword when I have to have a cane. Anyone remember the old Hiram Holiday days? He carried a Cane Sword, or was his an umbrella sword???

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
It is not about the knife. It is about controlling people. You have the same thing going on in your country that we have here only our politicians haven't gotten to the knives yet but they are sure going to try.

Reactions: ManxTom and Car_Doc

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Texas knife laws changed a couple of years ago for the better. We can wear swords now. I will buy my first sword when I have to have a cane. Anyone remember the old Hiram Holiday days? He carried a Cane Sword, or was his an umbrella sword???

My Grandfather had a sword stick.. no idea what happened to it, though it would be illegal here anyway.. on the other hand I have one of these...

beech-crook-tipplng-cane_T_1_D_561_I_557_G_0_V_1..jpg

Unscrew the top and inside you'll find a glass flask which will hold 80ml of your favourite tipple. Hence the name, 'tippling sticks'. And when winter comes on I do fill mine with dark rum.. purely for medicinal purposes of course..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought yard glasses were hard to drink from!
It's not a 'yard' glass. The phial in the stick is about 30cm in length. This is a yard of ale..

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Yeah, I'm 6 states now into this country and the knife laws are bonkers and do vary insanely. I'm convinced law makers just love coming up with laws to try and make their voters feel safe with very little thought into how to go about it aside from what they might think is scary or scary looking.

Reactions: TexasAviator
1 - 20 of 23 Posts