Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine emailed me last week, responding to me bee-yotching about not being able to find any 9mm lately. He's got several boxes of Winchester White Box, 100-round (we call them "party packs"), and said he would sell me some for what he paid for them.

So, I went up to his place last week, paid him 20 bucks for a box of WWB, then spent an enjoyable afternoon reloading using his most accurate formulas, and came home a Happy Man.

He calls me yesterday evening, and jokingly said he was going to have to stop by and get some more money.

He'd been to the Irving gun show, and he said ... get this ... they were selling 100-round WWB ammo for anywhere from $80 to $120 bucks a box. Yes, EIGHTY BUCKS A BOX. On the low end. And people were eating it up.

He said he couldn't bring himself to gouge on that level, so he sold out his .223 stuff he had, made a tidy profit, and made lots of people happy.

This is insane.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea I've tired of the extreme gouging here in MN too... Half tempted to get into reloading. I will laugh though when the market comes back to normal and people get stuck selling their hoarded objects for a huge loss

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yea I've tired of the extreme gouging here in MN too... Half tempted to get into reloading. I will laugh though when the market comes back to normal and people get stuck selling their hoarded objects for a huge loss
Got a crystal ball - let's talk about when this is going away. People rarely resell ammo - especially that the paid a premium for. They can just shed a tear each time the pull the trigger on $1.20 a round 115 Winchester.

Anyone getting into reloading now is WAY behind the curve. Each step of the way will be a challenge and potentially expensive too.

Anyone selling off well bought supplies ( unless they are REALLY-REALLY well stocked) is selling their shooting future IMHO.

I'm trying to keep up my habit of buying more than I shoot - something I established during the last election. It's tough and I won't pay a gouge price ever. The second I heard the first whisper of AWB I upped my reload supply buying to my (not so great) budget max. Yesterday was February 23rd or 2/23 and I was pleased that along with some match 9mm I loaded and stocked 100 rounds of .223 jhp for future use. As long as the press is set for it I'll do some more today! Not bragging, just pleased to be shooting and not desperate.

Now helping my neighbor get his reloading setup running - that's the Challange. He had 800 sp primers (old but in great shape) in a military ammo can, bought brass, overpaid for powder, found 1,500 Montana Gold bullets (155,165&180) grabbed them all and that's it so far. We're both on the hunt - mostly for him! At least he only has 1 caliber!!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a crystal ball - let's talk about when this is going away. People rarely resell ammo - especially that the paid a premium for. They can just shed a tear each time the pull the trigger on $1.20 a round 115 Winchester.

Anyone getting into reloading now is WAY behind the curve. Each step of the way will be a challenge and potentially expensive too.

Anyone selling off well bought supplies ( unless they are REALLY-REALLY well stocked) is selling their shooting future IMHO.

I'm trying to keep up my habit of buying more than I shoot - something I established during the last election. It's tough and I won't pay a gouge price ever. The second I heard the first whisper of AWB I upped my reload supply buying to my (not so great) budget max. Yesterday was February 23rd or 2/23 and I was pleased that along with some match 9mm I loaded and stocked 100 rounds of .223 jhp for future use. As long as the press is set for it I'll do some more today! Not bragging, just pleased to be shooting and not desperate.

Now helping my neighbor get his reloading setup running - that's the Challange. He had 800 sp primers (old but in great shape) in a military ammo can, bought brass, overpaid for powder, found 1,500 Montana Gold bullets (155,165&180) grabbed them all and that's it so far. We're both on the hunt - mostly for him! At least he only has 1 caliber!!
Trust me, my buddy is REALLY well stocked... I'm sure I can go over and pick up another 300 or 400 rounds of WWB from him, for $20 a box.
That's one reason I only picked up one the other day.
Well, that and the fact we're reloading a bunch...

·
Super Moderator
21,937 Posts
I would not let any of my ammo or mags go I have some mags for guns I don't own anymore but fit a gun I can and will own again. if I need to. Yes I could get top dollor for them 30 round 5.56 mags but I may not be able to buy them again. Even at this time I don't own the gun. Encase they grandfather them I have them. And can always get a AR as I know several friends that have several and have said that they would sell me one if needed. Or build me one as they have extra lowers that have not been built yet. HOLD ON TO WHAT YOU HAVE. Its the Bird in the hand thing Yes I could go to a gun show and make five times what I paid for stuff but I may need it down the road. If SHTF thing happens and people come a looking they may leave stuff behind when things don't go their way. :)

Be wise in these times and hold onto your stuff is all I'm saying. I have stuff thats totally fine from the Y2K thing so that ought to tell you where I'm coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts