Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To find the film after 65 years is amazing enough, but for the plane to crash right near the sub.... IT'S AN AMAZING STORY and worth watching... about 2.5 minutes.

An entire crew of a B-29 -- 12 aviators -- was rescued by a US submarine after their plane was shot down in 1945, 70 miles off the coast of Japan . The entire rescue was filmed in color video, but sat in a guy's closet until now.

This is a story from a Denver TV station of one of those rescued aviators to whom the video was delivered. It also shows their transfer to another submarine that is likely headed back to port before the one that accomplished the rescue."

Can you imagine 65 years AFTER your own rescue, you get to watch it on film?

CLICK HERE

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It would be mind-blowing, but how cool would it be! I would love to see some video footage of experiences of my time spent overseas.......

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
I can't get the video for some reason. Which Denver station was it?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Shame it wasn't found sooner, I doubt if all the crew is still alive.

Reactions: smithlock

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I wa out there at that time - early 1945. There was a lot of B29s going to Tokyo than and Iwo Jima was vital to their survival. We had submarines watching out for them as well as any opportunity to sink anything left of the Japanese navy. Those were tough sorrowful times.

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
Not only amazing, but it must be spooky at age 85 to see yourself surviving a crash at age 20.

WOW...beats the hell outta de' jevu!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
After watching that, I figure it's un-American not to get goose-bumps, throat lumps, and eyes watered. I'm guilty of all three and damn proud of it!

Thanks a ton, Gbus!

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
That is an amazing story, thats for sharing!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I was out there at that time - early 1945...

...Those were tough sorrowful times.
But the world is a better place with you, and countless others, having served then.

Thank you, sir, for your service during World War II and during the Korean War.

Reactions: harley 1986

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
What a great post...thanks so much...it really touched me!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow! Talk about being in the right place at the right time. I love when little pieces of history like this surface after so many years. I think it really helps us younger generations to make a "human" connection with events that are often otherwise relegated to museums and history books. Thanks for the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts