Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,638 Posts
Our process for range safety is very clear. When 'end detail is called ALL shooting stops, shooters have to make safe and show clear ALL firearms. If you have a magazine loaded you pocket it otherwise mags are left so they can be seen at the firing point. Once done ALL shooters stand back from the firing points, at least 6 feet. The RCO (Range Conducting Officer) will then announce "Range clear, you may now go forward and change or patch targets".

Once done the RCO will then announce "Range is closed, eyes and ears, you may load and carry on..".

Once I have finished shooting I must make eye contact or call for the RCO and ask permission to "box my firearm". All such 'boxing' (returning to a case) and 'unboxing' is done only at the firing point and only with the RCO's say so.

Our range is safe, very safe.

Edit: meant to say that ALL firearms, when made safe, must show a breech flag. No exceptions.
A breech flag. I wonder how many here know what one of those are. I've seen them advertised but have never run across a range which requires their use. I've even had one or two autopistols come with yellow or orange plastic flags for this use. The only instance I've seen where they might serve a purpose is with SA revolvers. Since you cannot swing out your cylinder you can only lay it down with the loading gate open. And since you cannot swing out the cylinder you could never insert a flag into the cylinder under the hammer.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In my club everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, uses a breech flag. I have shot on ranges in the UK where the rule, for bolt action rifles, is to remove the bolt when you have finished shooting your detail and insert breech flag. It's not enough just to open the bolt, it has to be removed completely. For me it's not a problem as it is something I've always done, so it's second nature; drop the mag, remove the bolt, insert breech flag, stand up and wait for the RCO to clear the rifle for removal from the firing point.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It does not matter which outdoor range I go to, bolt action take bolt out of gun. AR type rear takedown pin pulled gun lays at minimum 45° angle. 10/22 no magazines on bench with chamber flag. Revolvers cylinders open or out semi automatics no magazines and slides locked back.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

21 - 24 of 24 Posts