Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a good morning at the range today. Pleasant weather with lots of sun and little wind. There was a probationary member shooting next to me, they are only allowed to shoot .22LR pistols until deemed proficient. So we had finished a detail and the range was declared clear, we all went forward to check our targets. Got to the 25m point and looked at my target and discovered a hole.. not one of my .38 wadcutters, or one of my 9mm rounds. Nope, it was a small hole the sort made by a .22LR bullet..!! I didn't say anything and just patched my target and walked back to the firing point.

At the end of the next detail the guy next to me was studying his target closely and I could see him counting the holes.. He looked at me and remarked "I'm one hole short and I know the shot didn't go wide..". I smiled, pulled my target off the back bench and said, in a totally non-confrontational manner, "I've got it" and showed him my target. Well he refused to believe he shot my target and became very angry. I pointed out to him that it happens sometimes when we are using a gun we are not familiar with and, as he's new to shooting, he could well do with addressing his stance, hold, pistol control etc. He was not a happy chap and informed me he was going to take the matter to the club management.

I know exactly how that will work out as I have kept the target and there were four or more witnesses to the 'conversation'. Personally I think he's been watching too many movies and he needs to learn it's not just point and squeeze..

You can see his hole, just to the right of the 8 and 7 numbers..

target (2).jpg

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
He hasn't gotten over the 'Gosh, I'm holding a GUN!' stage yet, lined up for a shot on the wrong target and is too full of himself to admit it.

You tried to help a fella out and all you got was nasty attitude.

Since he won't take the assistance, screw him and the horse he rode in on. I don't see it turning out like he seems to think it's going to.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
He just shot himself in the foot...so to speak. Hopefully he won't shoot himself or someone else...literally.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
What did the guy think that you did wrong, quickly move your target into his lane for one of his shots?

Yea, buddy, take it up with the club management. They just might suspend you from the shooting club for an attitude inconsistant with learning safe shooting practices.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
What did you do, shoot three wadcutters/semi-wadcutters and a couple of round nose/hollow points?

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
On the brighter side, he did manage to keep it 'on paper'...
Too bad it wasn't his paper.

Ain't the first time that's happened, won't be the last.

Reactions: Doctordeere

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had a call from the cub sec informing me that this guy's membership application will be refused. It seems I was not the only one he upset with his attitude yesterday. Some other members had noticed his 'way of doing things' as not being consistent with good practice.

Now he'll go away and get all Rambo'ed up and morph into an online Mall Ninja or BB gun slayer..!! I'll give him 12 months before he's wearing Real Tree boxers..!!;D

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Just had a call from the cub sec informing me that this guy's membership application will be refused. It seems I was not the only one he upset with his attitude yesterday. Some other members had noticed his 'way of doing things' as not being consistent with good practice. Now he'll go away and get all Rambo'ed up and morph into an online Mall Ninja or BB gun slayer..!! I'll give him 12 months before he's wearing Real Tree boxers..!!;D
But think of all the money he'll have to put into his Air Soft collection now!

·
Registered
36,111 Posts
well thats NOT quite as un nerving as being at the range when 3 lady police officers came in with one male that appeared to be a Supervisor to get trained for the upcoming certification as i took it by conversation and one of the ladies shot two holes in my target at 10 yards, shes the one that will show up at my house for a call for help at 2 in the morning with my luck!--LOL
we had an older guy (about my age) that was shooting Psc with me and the group, the safety officer had warned him several times before about unholstering his weapon behind the line and the group to check to see if it was chambered, finally after 3-4 different times he told him he was disqualified for the night and that he would need to show the safety officer that he had learned better firearm handling before he could shoot again, the guy got really irate and hasn't showed back up.
thats fine safety first if you are around firearms.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
36,111 Posts
J

Now he'll go away and get all Rambo'ed up and morph into an online Mall Ninja or BB gun slayer..!! I'll give him 12 months before he's wearing Real Tree boxers..!!;D
hey--hey-hey--getting kind of close to home there!!--Griiin>

Attachments

Reactions: ManxTom and jtg452

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
My wife and i went to the range, got there as time was called to change targets. My wife ran ahead to change out our target and some dude sat a our window and started aiming down range while my wife was still there.
I started yelling at this guy and my wife to clear the range. I picked up my ar in its case and took a swing at this guys head. The RSO was at the other end of the range and came running. He grabbed my case and asked what my issue was. I not so calmly told him and he went into our space and went nuts on the guy.
My wife had come back to see what was happening and she right away went off on the RSO and the idiot. whom it turns out was a club sponsored shooter. When the RSO dragged the guy out of the window and went to secure his weapon found it was loaded and not on safe one in the chamber ready to go!
As far as I know the guy is no longer sponsored by the club and has had his club guns taken away.
All i can say is he is as lucky as my wife that he did not get shot as I was not carrying my 1911.
I asked for the police to be called so they could arrest the idiot. Sadly they never showed up. The idiot left.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,111 Posts
yep-shooting on public ranges (some private) is a lot like hunting on Public Land--can be quite dangerous for sure.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our process for range safety is very clear. When 'end detail is called ALL shooting stops, shooters have to make safe and show clear ALL firearms. If you have a magazine loaded you pocket it otherwise mags are left so they can be seen at the firing point. Once done ALL shooters stand back from the firing points, at least 6 feet. The RCO (Range Conducting Officer) will then announce "Range clear, you may now go forward and change or patch targets".

Once done the RCO will then announce "Range is closed, eyes and ears, you may load and carry on..".

Once I have finished shooting I must make eye contact or call for the RCO and ask permission to "box my firearm". All such 'boxing' (returning to a case) and 'unboxing' is done only at the firing point and only with the RCO's say so.

Our range is safe, very safe.

Edit: meant to say that ALL firearms, when made safe, must show a breech flag. No exceptions.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
36,111 Posts
Yes Sir, most ranges have very safe policies, its just that when you add the HUMAN factor in that things get dicey.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
How many clubs are there on the Isle? Do they have any interconnection or overlap in their areas? I mean, like could he be probationary at another club? Would THEY find out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably one of those dudes who bowls in the wrong lane too. Be careful out there at the range folks. As George Carlin once postulated..."Think about how stupid the average person is. Then realize that half the world is dumber than they are."

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How many clubs are there on the Isle? Do they have any interconnection or overlap in their areas? I mean, like could he be probationary at another club? Would THEY find out?
There are six .22LR target rifle clubs, you know, all straps, funny clothing and single shot rifles with no scopes. There are four clay clubs. And there's our club.. all calibre of handguns (I believe someone owns a .50 cal pistol though I've yet to see it.. or hear it!!). We have two ranges, 25m and 50m with 20 firing points on each. Some people shoot what we call 'gallery rifle', usually Marlin lever guns or Rossi, and some people (foolishly in my opinion) still shoot full bore rifles. I got rid of my two .308's and a .243 because 50m, regardless of the reduced target size, is stupid distance if your rifle is accurate. (they use a reduced size target to simulate longer ranges..)

All my full bore rifles would shoot to MOA all day long. One I had made specifically for 1000-1200m comps - little point in shooting that at 50m and patching targets with a single hole..!! For some strange reason there's no competition for .22LR, either bolt action or semi-auto and there are quite a few members with 10/22's, myself included. Our AGM is in November and I'm going to propose starting a comp of some sort. We have turning targets so that would be fun with semi's.

As for interconnections.. there's not a lot. The target clubs tend to look down their collective noses at anyone who doesn't shoot their discipline..!! I went to the club local to me, for a look see and took my Brno just to show them. "Oh you couldn't shoot that here.. it's got a magazine..". Says it all really. The Isle of Man has good representation in the Commonwealth Games and has won Gold, Silver and Bronze medals for shooting.

As for the odd guy.. he's got no chance with any club. News travels so fast here I'd put money on it that his antics last week were known to other clubs by lunchtime on the same day. It's a very small Island. Thankfully it keeps rubbish like him out of our hair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts