Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 years old, so it's permitted, by seniority if no other reason. My 1927 Colt Army Special, 4", 38 Special has come up with a cracked forcing cone. I've only had the gun for a little over a year and there is no telling how it was loaded and used in the previous 89 years. I may or may not be able to find a barrel. I emailed a friend that does Colt work and he says no one today will make a new barrel because of the tapered threads, too time consuming, best find a barrel. I'll search it out, no hurry. I have others that are good to go. Here's a pic....

Attachments

·
Registered
24,947 Posts
That is a heart breaker.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
That is truly a shame for such an old and distinguished pistol. I wish you all the best in getting it repaired.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A little Bondo and wrap it with bailin wire, she'll be gooder n' grits!

But seriously, I hope you find a serviceable barrel. If not, it may be a good candidate for a nice refinishing and turn it into a display piece.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ouch, that really hurts. Hope you can find a replacement barrel. Good luck guesser.

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
That is a bummer. I wonder if a creative and talented gunsmith could bore out and re-thread the frame to accept a modern barrel?

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Go over to Thehighroad.net and ask around. There are some guys on there that might just have the barrel that you need...I’m thinking about a couple guys already. I’m sure that they could point you in the right direction. I’m assuming you already tried Numrich?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted this on FaceBook Colt Collectors club. Within 10 minutes I head from a guy in Virginia that has a pre=war 4" OP barrel and a guy from Illinois that has a new in the wrapper post-war 4" OP barrel. The only difference being the style of front sight. Pre and Post were different designs. I may just get both, as I have a number of Colts that they will work in. As an aside.......I have done this kind of thing on FB several times about gun questions or problems and I get responses from the manufacturers and from collectors clubs. I like FB for this.

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
I posted this on FaceBook Colt Collectors club. Within 10 minutes I head from a guy in Virginia that has a pre=war 4" OP barrel and a guy from Illinois that has a new in the wrapper post-war 4" OP barrel. The only difference being the style of front sight. Pre and Post were different designs. I may just get both, as I have a number of Colts that they will work in. As an aside.......I have done this kind of thing on FB several times about gun questions or problems and I get responses from the manufacturers and from collectors clubs. I like FB for this.
Wow...GREAT news!

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
I'm wondering if you couldn't remove the existing barrel and tig weld it back together then refinish that section.

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
My 50s M10 has a flat bottom (K frame) forcing cone that is notorious for cracking and, yes, it cracked on me once. I attributed it finally to lead build up at the forcing cone from the soft wadcutters I shot in it. They were light loads, but they did leave a little lead near the forcing cone after a good many fired. So, now days, I end my practice by putting a few jacketed rounds through any .38/.357. The K frame Smiths were particularly susceptible to this due to the flat bottom forcing cone which was a weak area. The new Smith "K frames" have a round forcing cone. I put K frame in quotes because they're so much different than the old K frames.

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
Oh, I replaced the K frame's 4" pencil barrel with a 4" heavy barrel I found in a "Shotgun News" ad for 50 bucks. The barrel was new and I think the gun balances better with it :D

Reactions: .452dia

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have an old 4 inch pencil barreled model 10 with the pinned barrel, recessed cylinder and flat bottomed forcing cone. It hasn't cracked yet and I shoot a lot of lead bullets thru it. This is one of my favorite revolvers because it just so smooth and easy to shoot. I have thought about getting a 3 inch heavy barrel for it but just hate to do anything to this gun because it was given to me by an old Lt. Col. that carried this gun when he flew missions over VN. I became friends with the family when I worked as a private contractor and worked under him in the mid 70's. His wife gave me the gun when he passed because he knew I liked it and had told his wife to make sure I got it.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
23,210 Posts
That's great! Keep us informed!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the new Colt Barrel, still in the original packaging. The gun and barrel will be off the Frank Glenn in Phoenix tomorrow, the18th. Couple pix

Attachments

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got an email from the 'smith yesterday, sunday, telling me it will be on it's way back to Montana on Monday, today, and the bill was only $147.00 and I could send him a check. Works for me, the check is in the mail and I'll go to the big city on thursday and collect the Colt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts