Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow TA'ers. I had the unfortunate pleasure of being in a situation that my life was in danger and I want to pass on my knowledge on to you.

I was on my way home today on my motorcycle and taking my usual route. I have a buddy in town that just got back from Afganistan and he told me that he was going to call me to set up a time to meet for beers. Naturally I was excited to hear his voice after a year or so of being gone and of course to share war stories.

So I was rumbling along and I felt my phone vibrate in the pocket of my motorcycle jacket. Not wanting to miss a call from him I pulled down a side street. I stopped in front of someone's house to check my phone to call him back if he had called. I park and turn off my bike and start fidgeting with my phone (with a broken screen of course, so it takes a minute) and hear someone yell. This person was walking down the sidewalk looking all sorts of messed up, I suspect drunk/pain killers. Conversation went as such:

"Hey (expletive)! Get off my property!" - Drunk

"What?" - Me startled

"Get the (expletive) off my property dawg!" - Drunk

"Oh I'm sorry, but this is technically a public road. I'm just checking my phone real quick and I'll be out of here. I just have to check my phone and throw on my helmet and you won't see me again" - Me still sitting on my bike
He starts a brisk walk towards me from about 30 yards. Cursing and pointing at me along the way.

"Listen man, I'm not trying to start any trouble! I'm just checking my phone and I'll be gone! In fact I'll just put it away right now and get out of your hair." - Me again

"Nah, (expletive) that! You ain't going anywhere after you disrespect me like that!" - Drunk

"What? You know what I'm leaving just relax and I'll be gone in a second." - me starting to put my helmet on

"You ain't going anywhere (expletive)!" - Drunk

He walks in front my bike and stands there..

"Get out from in front of my bike. I'm trying to leave like you wanted me to. Get out of the way." - Me
Drunk guy stands in front still. Looking strung out and sweating even though it was 50 degrees. I knew this was trouble. So I started my bike hoping that he would see that as a sign that I'm actually leaving.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Way..." - Me

"(Expletive) you." - Drunk

"Listen. I'm going to call the police, this is false imprisonment by not letting me leave. So please, just get out of the way and we can chalk this up to a misunderstanding." - Me

"Do it (expletive)." - drunk

So I start fiddling with my phone and I hear a metal on metal whooshing sound, which I remember exactly as being the sound of an expandable baton being opened. I opened mine a million times between training in the military and a few time I had to actually use it. He walks to within 7 yards of me with the baton, twirling it like some wannabe Bruce Lee.

"Put that down and I leave. It's an easy decision. I'm cool, just relax, but that thing away." - Me

"(Expletive) on it first." - Drunk

He starts walking towards me. I pulled my PT92 out from my tank bag, safety off, laser aimed at his chest. I thought for sure this was going to be the worst day of my life either way. I prayed that my Hornaday hollowpoints would do the job.

"Oh (expletive)! (Expletive) that, you're crazy (expletive)!" - Drunk guy as he turns and sprints into the alley adjacent to my position. I then dialed a good buddy down at the local PD and he said he would send a unit my way. I then hauled ass out of there, not sure whether he was getting backup or who knows what! I rode down to the police station and gave my statement, they checked my credentials and sent me packing.

I hope you NEVER find yourself in this situation. I was really glad that even with all that pressure that I was able to keep my motor skills in check and stay somewhat calm. This is a reminder to keep carrying guys, I never thought it would be me that would actually need to draw on someone. So it could be you too....

Regards,

Frogger

·
Registered
508 Posts
Glad to hear your ok Frogger!!! You did well! Sounds like you kept your cool through the whole thing and for that you should be commended. This is the reason we should stay armed and aware at all times ! Maybe the scum learned a lesson but punks most of the time don't!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Touchy situation glad you came out of it OK. Sounds like you did right the whole time.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Oh sh*t! F*** that, you're crazy m*****f*****!
Tough guy... not so tough any more...

Glad it turned out alright for you!

What part of Ft Worth were you in?

Reactions: HornedFroggerTCU

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Glad it worked out. You did everything right, frogger. You will probably never see him again. There are some strange parts of town in Forth Worth!

Reactions: HornedFroggerTCU

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Push comes to shove, would you have shot him on the chest? Or put him out off his misery and aim for a headshot?
Well I've been trained center off mass for so long that I naturally pointed it at about the bottom of his sternum. Plus the Pt92 is a fairly new gun to me, if I were a straight up sniper, I would prefer a headshot of course!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Touchy situation glad you came out of it OK. Sounds like you did right the whole time.
Glad to hear it. I knew from police work in the military and otherwise that it's better to leave with your tail in between your legs then try to be a hero in these situations.

·
Registered
30,339 Posts
Glad you're OK Horny,
Any incident you walk away from is a good one.
Just in the atmosphere of a bull session, the only "better" alternatives I can see in hindsight might be to make the stop on a main road, or to leave when the guy made the first comment.
Please, these aren't criticisms, you did fantastically. Hopefully any of the rest of us can do as well if we need to.
Thanks for sharing the incident.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad you're OK Horny,
Any incident you walk away from is a good one.
Just in the atmosphere of a bull session, the only "better" alternatives I can see in hindsight might be to make the stop on a main road, or to leave when the guy made the first comment.
Please, these aren't criticisms, you did fantastically. Hopefully any of the rest of us can do as well if we need to.
Thanks for sharing the incident.
I agree 100%! I should have at least looked for an area that had decent street lights for crissake. I could have rode another mile and stopped at a Valero at least.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah there are some... interesting areas in that part of town between those two roads! :D

The armpit of Ft. Worth brother.... Anything between a railroad and a major highway in Fort Worth is not the place to live if you're looking to move here.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You did good. Nobody can say what they would do under those circumstances. I will say this though. When the aggressor shows any kind of weapon, I would be drawing mine, and taking evasive action. I am glad you didn't have to shoot that fool and I am glad that he had enough presence of mind to know he came within a hair of his last breaths.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The armpit of Ft. Worth brother.... Anything between a railroad and a major highway in Fort Worth is not the place to live if you're looking to move here.
If we moved into the city core, I'd go for a condo in the old Bank One Building or something else in Sundance square.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.