Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I bought a PT140. Its my first firearm and I bought it for home defense and recreation. Since buying it new I've put exactly 270 rounds through the gun and I really like the way it feels in my hand, but I've have concerns about it reliability.

After the first 150 rounds a nasty burr formed in the slide that really chewed up the frame rail. I took it in to be worked on and the burr was removed. I've since put 120 rounds throught it and the burr formed again resulting in a rather large groove where it rubbed along the frame rail. I took it back the shop and had the burr removed again. The guns smith explained to me the burr was forming on the slide where it impacts the disconnector and would likely form again. This is rather frustrating because it doesnt seem this kind of wear is normal. Also, the mag catch has already been replaced because the original one wouldnt embed in the mag properly and the mag would drop every time I fired it. Since Taurus replaced the catch the mag doesn't drop unless I hit it by accident during recoil. It seems the mag release on this gun barely has to be pressed in order to release the mag. Much easier than any gun I've ever fired.

Are these issues common with these guns or what? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'm having trouble seeing exactly where you're talking about in the pic. Are you talking about a burr in the little half circle shaped cutout on the right side of the slide? My PT145 has a little burr in exactly that spot too. Hasn't caused any problems with the slide though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That looks as if the internal metal parts mounted in the grip were improperly installed during manufacture. This gun should have been returned to Taurus after the first incident.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, thats the exact spot i'm talking about. did the burr make a groove in your pt 145 as well? maybe this is normal wear from the break in process.. idk

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
It didn't put any grooves in it, but it may have champfered the edge a bit. I hadn't even noticed it 'till you mentioned it. I just took a needle file and knocked it down a bit - took ten seconds. My guess is you will eventually run out of metal in that position and it should quit being a problem. Sometimes parts have to wear together for a while before they learn how to behave. I wouldn't worry about it too much - assuming the damage is minimal as it appears to be. Course sending it to Mijami is always an option...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright, thanks for the replies. i tend to worry about weird little things like that. this is the frist firearm i've owned so i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff. thanks again.

·
Administrator
39,884 Posts
Nothing in your pictures, really jumps out at me as abnormal. Shiny areas, from use, but I'm missing anything out of the ordinary. If the pistol is running well now, I'd keep on shooting it. If it malfunctions or gets worse, the warranty is a lifetime one. You may pay shipping though.

I may have to look at my PT145, and see if I can spot what you describe.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What kind of ammo are you using? I would call Taurus and ask what kind of ammo they suggest for this particular model, I find the cheap stuff (Federal) screws up all my guns!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
alright, thanks for the replies. i tend to worry about weird little things like that. this is the frist firearm i've owned so i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff.
Not at all - I think you showed excellent powers of observation. If it's galling the rails I'd definitely remove the burr - just don't remove anything but the burr. A little work/polishing on the disconnector tit might be in order too - but you'll need to do a detail strip for that. In my book that was good heads-up paying attention - keep doing it ;).

·
Administrator
39,884 Posts
I just compared my pistol to your first picture. I can see the gouge now. Looks like a channel right down the middle end to end. If it isn't deep, follow dbeardslee's advice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the same gun and the same is showing on mine. As I recall (without going to the safe) the area is towards the rear of the frame and yes it does come back after being removed. There seemed to be the area if impact your gunsmith described and over time the issue returns. I took a fine file and smoothed the area down nyself. I also had it checked by a 'smith' and the wear is really so minimal (even though ti looks far worse) and localized so that the slide and frame look really bad - but actually function fine. I'll get the camera out later and post a picture so you can compare your & mine. I am just going to shoot mine and hope I don't need to send it in for a long time to come.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I took a fine file and smoothed the area down nyself.
One little thing on files...I used to pickup needle files at gun shows. You know, the chinese kind that come in a little red case and don't last worth a flip. I went through about three or four sets of the cheapies, until I picked up a Craftsman set. I've been using that set for about a decade now, and the files are still in great shape. The set only costs about $15, and well worth it - Craftsman Needle File Set

·
Registered
552 Posts
Agree on the above on FILES. The cheap one are simply OK and do tend to cut the same way. Even a mill-file in the cheap ones does not leave a smooth finish when draw-filing - no matter how it's sued. I surely agree the Craftsman or even some from Lowe's will lat much longer. I have a set of Craftsman I used when i worked at McDonnell Douglas Aircraft in the early 60's (no more McDonnell for a LONG time) and they are still quite good. New ones are better, but the oldies still do the trick..

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I dont' see anything abnormal in the pics you posted either?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts