Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two months I have been attempting to get a replacement ejector for a first gereration PT-111ti.
After receiving the wrong part twice, one of the geniuses in customer service figured out they had indeed sent the wrong part twice. The correct part, 26002116, isn't even in their system. The ejector for a titanium PT-111 isn't the same as for the steel versions.
It's been 2 months now and the run around continues. The latest story is they have to wait for an unrepairable gun to arrive that they can rob the part from. Two sentences later, when asked why they don't sent one from Brazil, I was told they make them in quantity and don't know the next time production is scheduled. Considering this is no longer a gun in production, the next time is most likely never.
The customer service reps are more than courteous. Bottom line is all they have to offer is worthless BS.
I've been a proponent of Taurus for years. I own four of them. I rather doubt I'd even consider another after this circus of theirs.
Does anyone have a new or used ejector from a first generation titanium Melleniun available?
Thanks for your time.

Taurustrash

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Wow... I own a business and have to rely on suppliers; many of which are overseas and dealing with overseas companies is a challenge. I suggest you be professional in your demeanor and give them an opportunity to make the situation right since Taurus appears to be between a rock and hard place regarding this obsolete part; perhaps sending a detailed letter explained the sequence of events that led to your frustration and making it signature confirmation. Written correspondence often gets more attention and is less likely to be overlooked than phone calls or emails. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Welcome From the Rust Belt USA..... Calm down and give them a chance for Pete's sake that pistola is out of production. It is hard to get parts for anything that is out of production, try getting a fender from GM for a 57 Buick....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You've been a Taurus proponent for years, and you're going to allow yourself to be disillusioned over one problem in them finding a part for a discontinued pistol?

And now you call yourself taurustrash? Tsk, tsk.

I have owned 13 Taurus handguns and have only had one occasion to return a pistol for warranty service. It took them nearly two months, but Taurus eventually replaced the pistol with a new one.

You may be pleasantly surprised how this all turns out for you.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
In case you're unaware, nobody makes everything in their line-up every day. Guns, like any product, are scheduled for time on the lines months in advance.

If the product has been discontinued, and the supplies of spare parts exhausted, you're actually lucky that you own a Taurus. S&W, HK, Sig, and others, would regretfully inform you that the parts were no longer available, and return to you the gun. Case closed. Taurus is, at least, attempting to fix your problem.

I will second the written note. They are normally routed to more senior people in the organization. While the instant gratification of a phone call suits the "today generation", it usually results in your dealing with the lowest tier employees.

Perhaps, if you sent the gun in, it would become the "unrepairable gun to arrive that they can rob the part from", and you would be sent a new gun. With the gun in hand, Taurus seems to replace any number of unserviceable weapons.

"Two sentences later, when asked why they don't sent one from Brazil, I was told they make them in quantity and don't know the next time production is scheduled. Considering this is no longer a gun in production, the next time is most likely never."

That, sir, is your uninformed opinion. It IS possible that Taurus will make a run of replacement parts for the gun. There is, in most industries, a level of replacement parts that is required to be on hand before they stop honoring the warranty. If that level was below the company mandated minimum when they discontinued the model, they will usually bring it up to the minimum at some point in the production schedule.

If Taurustrash is your screen name, and this is the best that you've got, I have a feeling that you'll seen fade away from here.

I can understand the frustration. However, it would appear to me that Taurus isn't the only one that, by your somewhat nebulous definition, is performing with questionable competence in this issue.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
I just went through a similar problem with my Kel Tec P11 extractor, which broke. It's an old first gen and there was an extractor redesign. I was unsure whether I'd have to send the gun in or not, but knew they'd fix it if they had to put the new slide on it. Took a little time, but they finally got me the part. I didn't go off on 'em, stuff happens. It's been about a month. Now, I that gun is my favorite carry, but I had my Taurus 85SSUL for back up and a couple others. Heck, I bought that gun in 1996 and it has served me well. KT made it right, thankfully had the part, just had to dig a bit. I'm sure Taurus will make it right for you, too. The gun is warrantied for life, just like my P11. But, being out of production, it may take some time.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I am going to make a suggestion, You said you wanted them to send the part to you, but it is not available.

Here is what I would do, if it was me. Send the letter reccomended to the new president of the company, and Manager of CS. If it does not get a response in a certain amount of time, then????

Call CS, and arrange to have the gun sent in for repair. If they cannot get the parts, it is a good possibliity, that the gun might be considered for replacement with a currently made gun (similar type). I know that is not what you want, you like the gun. But it could get the problem resolved.

I would doubt that any current member here has a spare part to send or sell to you that will fit.

Keep us advised it this works for you?

Take this information for what it is worth, and the spirit with which it is offered.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
There is no doubt that Taurus has put out more than their fair share of problem guns. And. the Millennium series was definitely one of those problems. Fortunately Taurus got this right in the 3rd gen. I have one- its good.
Unfortunately you happen to have one of those problem guns, and to make it worse -its titanium. I believe Taurus CS when they say they have no idea when there will be another "titanium" parts run on a gun they no longer make. Thats a very costly operation. There may be several options for you at this point- and none of them will be without frustration. What I would do- and this is just me- I would take a hit- and git rid of the problem. There are some problems that Taurus just can not solve in a good way- no matter what their warranty says.
Why not ship the gun to Taurus, let them sit on it while you are awaiting an extractor- that way, whatever heat there may be- is on them. When you ever get the gun back- move it out of your herd. Trade it in a pawn shop. You will take a hit- sure- but the reason for the trade is to get rid of the problem- not get a great deal.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you are not the original Kel-Tec owner, they only stand by their product in a very limited way. I owned a very early P32. The initial extractor was later redesigned. The pistol would not cycle reliably and since I wasn't the original owner, Kel-Tec wouldn't warranty their product but did send me one of the redesigned extractors with the appropriate spring. I received these parts quickly but was disappointed that they didn't ask the handgun be sent to them to make the repair. That affects my buying descisions. I have had problems with a Bersa and a S&W and they honor their lifetime warranty with no requirement for proof or purchase; in other words, any owner of one of their products will get the gun fixed free. Bersa makes you pay for shipping to the repair center where S&W picks up the shipping cost. By the way, with the redesigned extractor and new spring, the P32 cycled fine. It wasn't much fun to shoot and the P32 wasn't much of a range gun as the 32 cal recoil was a lot for that 6 oz handgun.

·
Super Moderator
35,064 Posts
Funny, but I never sent in a warranty card when I bought my P11, don't think, usually don't, and they told me they'd cover it if I had to send it in. I guess they just took my word that I was the original owner. They done me right.

BTW, there was no installing the new design extractor in the old slide, spring was bigger, wouldn't fit. They'd either had to replace the slide or mill the old one for the new part or something. I was prepared to send the slide in, but didn't have to.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Another reminder that exotic metals made into guns are a cool concept, but usually the execution is bad. I personally would send it in to Taurus, worst case, they never get another one in to bastardize and are forced to give you a new pistol as per the review board.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
If they have it in hand, they may fit another slide on it. No, it won't be titanium, but it WILL be in service, and spare parts will be available.

·
35,996 Posts
There is no doubt that Taurus has put out more than their fair share of problem guns. And. the Millennium series was definitely one of those problems. Fortunately Taurus got this right in the 3rd gen. I have one- its good.
Unfortunately you happen to have one of those problem guns, and to make it worse -its titanium. I believe Taurus CS when they say they have no idea when there will be another "titanium" parts run on a gun they no longer make. Thats a very costly operation. There may be several options for you at this point- and none of them will be without frustration. What I would do- and this is just me- I would take a hit- and git rid of the problem. There are some problems that Taurus just can not solve in a good way- no matter what their warranty says.
Why not ship the gun to Taurus, let them sit on it while you are awaiting an extractor- that way, whatever heat there may be- is on them. When you ever get the gun back- move it out of your herd. Trade it in a pawn shop. You will take a hit- sure- but the reason for the trade is to get rid of the problem- not get a great deal.
Or...they may send you a brand new replacement pistol of a similar configuration to the old, discontinued model.

You'll never know unless you try.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I think the new manager at Taurus said that customer service will solve problems within 12 weeks for hard to fix items. This means a new or new old stock item will be shipped to compensate for an unrepairable weapon whether it is because of damage or unavailability of obsolete parts.

That was my take on the article.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I like brojohn's reply except what I would do in that they are going to need a spare gun for parts, others will come in, is see if they will take that gun in for something current.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would go ahead and send the gun back to Taurus (since it obviously is not in working order). My understanding is the out of production pistols with the lifetime warranty that can not repaired are replaced with the current production model. I'm pretty sure if they are waiting for a part that there will be a timeline on how long they will wait, and I am pretty sure that clock starts counting when they receive the pistol for repair.

·
35,996 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A quick update.
The afternoon of my last contact with Taurus, another ejector arrived. This is a steel part, not titanium. Hours earlier Taurus fed me an excuse. They had no idea they had a part on it's way.
As it was, this is yet another incorrect part. This part was closer than the first two sent. This one installed failed to clear the slide and .025" (.625 mm) had to be removed from the top surface for it to work. The gun is back together now.
Needless to say, I'm not impresed with their customer service. I spoke to a total of four reps on six occasions and still got the wrong part three out of three times.
As to the titanium first generation Millenium, the one and only malfunction was the ejector. I've put hundreds of rounds through this without a single problem. Never a jam, ftf or any kind of problem previous to the ejector. I don't want to part with this as I prefer the first generation over the third. I wouldn't trade it for a new one.
At this point I just hope neither of my two TCP738's have a problem requiring factory assistance. I'd rather not deal with these folks again.
Have a great weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.