Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local shooting range yesterday and over heard a conversation between a potential guy buyer and the sales guy about small pocket guns. I got into the conversation with them and made a comment that the ruger TCP was a nice little gun, and also the taurus 709's where good also, the sales clerk sort of smirked and said since they had been blowing up while shooting them and that taurus had recalled them, they wouldnt carry anymore. He also told me that when they sold the pt 111 they had instock, they would no longer carry taurus brands. I did notice they had a very LARGE glock section so I am sure thats the way they like to swing. I have never seen them actually sell a gun though, (prices are a bit steep IMO) and they sell pool tables and equipment in the same building so I tend to belive their major income is elsewhere other then gun sales. (I wish I had another option for a place to shoot actually)

Ok, back on point, anyone else heard about a recall on the 709's?

·
Administrator
35,532 Posts
No recall on 709's. No Taurus firearm has ever undergone a recall. Thats not to say that a series of guns didn't have an issue, ie the PT1911 with the broken safety issue.....but the lifetime warranty takes care of that.

It sounds like your gun shop guy is either a liar or seriously misinformed and he hasn't bothered to check it out. Sometimes these guys don't like Taurus because they make no aftermarket money on them, because of the lifetime warranty. You have to consider all the possibilities when you hear nonsense like this.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Yep! I would likely be looking for another place to shoot as well!
not that they spoke of Taurus that way but the fact that a supposed Gun Clerk would be that misinformed!
I don't think that i would/could assume that he/she knows anything that they speak of!
IF interested in a Glock, i don't know where you live in Georgia BUT ED's public safety in Stockbridge sells glocks cheaper than most dealers can buy them, if you are law enforcement then they are even less!
OF course they are i think the second largest distributor of glocks in the nation.
as for Taurus, i am not aware of any recall, if they said that again why don't you ask them for the info so you can return yours!!
even though you don't own one!-LOL

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
LOL....some people! By no means am I an expert but I have not heard of a Taurus recall on the 709s, not recently anyway. Mine is only about a year old. I buy what I believe to be a good value for my hard earned money and just ignore the stupid comments made by the brand snobs. My 709 has been perfectly reliable over 1200+ rounds.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
Thats why we have over 20,000 members and sometime have reached well over 100,000 viewers. Taurus has had some issues but I believe Ruger had the recall.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
GS bunk, He must have been thinking about the FORD TAURUS... My 709 is just fine, thank you very much!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured as much, Short story about this place. about 2 years ago, an army buddy of mine came through town on his way to a new duty station in el paso tx. he had his arms with him. his carry was an old 9mm luger. we went to that same range to do some shooting. (he had not shot it yet) it FTF about every other shot. he got mad about it, and was went to the front desk with the intention of trading it in on something else. (I did mention to him it may be an ammo thing and to try some diffenent ammo, not the ammo from the store, which is THEIR reload and they carry no other sort) but he gets hard headed sometimes. I saw the way the clerks eyes lit up when thought he was gonna get this great deal. (the luger had some sort of mark on it that made it really valuable, I don't know enough about it to know either way) I had to drag my buddy out of the place. Like I said before, I go there and shoot, but I do not buy anything but lane time from them. I get/bring my own ammo, ear/eye protection and just shoot.

·
Administrator
35,532 Posts
I figured as much, Short story about this place. about 2 years ago, an army buddy of mine came through town on his way to a new duty station in el paso tx. he had his arms with him. his carry was an old 9mm luger. we went to that same range to do some shooting. (he had not shot it yet) it FTF about every other shot. he got mad about it, and was went to the front desk with the intention of trading it in on something else. (I did mention to him it may be an ammo thing and to try some diffenent ammo, not the ammo from the store, which is THEIR reload and they carry no other sort) but he gets hard headed sometimes. I saw the way the clerks eyes lit up when thought he was gonna get this great deal. (the luger had some sort of mark on it that made it really valuable, I don't know enough about it to know either way) I had to drag my buddy out of the place. Like I said before, I go there and shoot, but I do not buy anything but lane time from them. I get/bring my own ammo, ear/eye protection and just shoot.
Sad fact is, most places these days would not only decide to take advantage of him, they'd probably offer him $100 for the Luger and tell him that the market is just too flooded with those pistols these days. :mad:

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
Now the Ruger LCP has undergone a recall - initial production could fire if dropped - they fixed them promptly and gave owners magazine extension pads and a hat for their trouble.

·
Registered
29,948 Posts
Not too many knowledgeable people in most retail gun stores nowadays.:icon_ nono:

I'd hazard a guess that about 75% of those selling guns nowadays don't have a clue.
:loco:

·
Administrator
40,172 Posts
The sales guy at that shop, must have pulled a story like that out of his butt!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
I reckon if there were a safety recall on 709's I'd heard about it by now from Taurus since they have my registration and contact info. Have to agree with Smokewagon - this rumor is uber full of methane.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I had a guy tell me he gave his girlfriend a Bersa Thunder .380 for her CCW piece and it blew up right there in her hand, lots of staccato tonal changes in his voice and jazz hands accentuating his disgust. Then he said with great conviction "no more cheap handguns for me" then proceeded to try to sell me a S&W revolver about $200 above retail price point.........All I could think of was damn that there was some sales ninja stuff right there! LOL

I love the Bersa Thunder .380 by the way and if I had my sales hat on that day I would have reversed the hell out of him and said; "Well sir I completely agree with you and I will take one of those Bersa Thunders off your hands for $200 and free you of the horrible burden of you having to sell another unsafe cheap handgun like that to an unsuspecting customer, since you have disclosed to me how dangerous they are I will be willing to rid your inventory of one, y'know kind of doing you a favor you know what I mean"?!

You might want to go back in there and try this approach for kicks you could walk away with a hell of a deal on a Taurus and/or see how bad you can call his bluff.That in itself might be worth it to hear him stuttering and stammering about how even thought they are dangerous no good guns, but geez, I still need to make my money on them. Haha love to see em sweat like that!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Not too many knowledgeable people in most retail gun stores nowadays.:icon_ nono:

I'd hazard a guess that about 75% of those selling guns nowadays don't have a clue.
:loco:
That go's for Motorcycle shops too.....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
GS bunk, He must have been thinking about the FORD TAURUS... My 709 is just fine, thank you very much!
Bull!
The only trouble I ever had with my Ford Taurus was...nothing. I've rued the day I allowed the new car bug cause me to trade the RedRocket for another car.

I'll never make that mistake with any of my Taurus weapons, I assure you. :)

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
You said they carry glock.......that's your answer right there. Nothing against them since their the prefered choice of experts....;)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
You could run a whole thread on 'gunshop expert and their quotes'. Most seem to stick with the idea that if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS.

There are some truly good gunshop counter folks out there, but they seem to be as rare as gems in a sea of sh . . . rocks.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
With my limited knowledge of firearm manufactures even though it seems to be a pretty regulated industry it does not seem like there are mandatory recalls like in the automotive industry. It really seems like it is up to the firearm manufacture weather they follow through with their due-diligence of responsibility. As much as I hate to see a recall it is also an act of responsibility and tells me that the manufacturer cares about the safety and loyalty of their customers. I would rather see a voluntary recall of a product than horror stories that keep popping up over and over and then lying by omission and smoke and mirrors from the manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts