Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Is this much damage normal for the 1st get PT145s?

3K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  mrnuke7571 
#1 ·
Bought this gun used... and used it has been!

I'm having to send this out to Taurus (which has been more of a PITA than I thought, more on that later)

Anywho... took the gun out to the range, and the slide would get caught like it was a fail to feed... this was caused by the dis-assembly pin working itself loose.

I thought it was just the spring, but the hole in the frame it fits through is worn BAD There is a good 1-1.5mm of play all around it.

After taking some close up shots, I can see that the frame is actually cracked!!

I hope taurus replaces the whole frame, as this would be the right thing to do and only way I see of repairing it.

Here are some pics...

#3 ·
That's one, that has evidently been put through it's paces. Keep us posted as to what Taurus does with it. Maybe in the long run you'll end up with a real bargain deal, depending on what you paid for it originally.

#5 ·
I can only guess, but it looks like some pretty hot rounds were put through it. And I agree with Smokewagon, depending upon what you paid for it, it might turn out to be a pretty good deal after Taurus fixes it. Gotta love that lifetime guarantee.

#9 ·
poor_red_neck said:
Only FMJ 230gr were fired through it. This was a range gun, so I imagine THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of rounds were put through it.
So, what did you pay for it? Curious minds want to know.

#10 ·
Way too F*ing much... I'm an impatient SOB.

$275

Yeah it was a range gun, but the glock 30 they also had for sale there was older than the taurus, and was EASILY rented TWICE as much as the taurus. It showed virtually no signs of extreme wear.

#11 ·
Just send it in for repair, that $275 will be a good deal in the end.....

it looks like somebody was trying to put the breakdown pin back in with a 20 lb sledgehammer........

#14 ·
poor_red_neck said:
Way too F*ing much... I'm an impatient SOB.

$275
Their wholesale is probably $200 - $250. Plus, they have depreciated it on their income tax form to get the tax credit. Then they turn around and sell it for a profit. Nice guys.

#16 ·
Range guns come in a couple of flavors. Sort of like the one you got and then there are those range guns that were used hard,were not abused, but still operate well all the way round.

Yours looks very much like an abused one as the others have stated earlier.

Sorry to see that kind of thing happen.

#17 ·
Well, fortunately the slide and barrel appear to be in great shape.

The only "damage" appears to be the frame.

Now according to their warranty, they will more than likely replace the frame. You can't repair a cracked frame.

Only thing I question is what do they do regarding the serial number? Do they stamp the new frame with the same one or issue a new number? In North Carolina it really doesn't matter because they do not register serial numbers.

#18 ·
Chances are the gun is going to need to be replaced. Or so it seems.

Call Taurus Customer Service at 1-800-327-3776 and explain your predicament to them. They can tell you how things will proceed and what they can do, if anything.

The problem is that that kind of abuse is not normally covered by the warranty nor is any company responsible for the abuse of others in ways they cannot forsee.

It would have to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was a defective gun or workmanship and materials were faulty.

That's not necessarily the case here from what you've said and the photo evidence.

That being a range gun means that the gun went through more than normal wear and tear than could be expected.

Doesn't mean that Taurus isn't willing ot help out either.

We cannot speak for the Taurus company as we are not affiliated in any way with Taurus. This is a forum of Taurus gun owners and enthusiasts.

#19 ·
I personally believe that the fact that it was a range gun has nothing to do with it.

I consider abuse to be just that, abuse. Not shooting the gun everyday.

Taurus USA said:
The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.

Simply put, our unprecedented repair policy stands firmly behind every firearm imported or manufactured by Taurus International. The full terms are we will repair your Taurus firearm

FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm

We at Taurus are totally committed to the very highest standards of quality, dependability, and most of all, customer satisfaction. Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy assures you of that commitment. Should you need to take advantage of our repair policy, please follow the directions on the shipping instruction link and our work order form, which you can print out and send in with your firearm. We don't expect you to need it, but in the rare instance that you do, it's all right here for you.

Our Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus firearms imported or manufactured by Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc.

This warranty does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus will not be responsible for these items.

I don't think shooting a gun everyday is abuse. Now true, I have NO idea what actually happened to that gun or why it has the signs of fatigue it does on the frame. However short of beating the thing with a hammer, or using a tool of some kind, shooting 1000 rounds out of the gun every day is not abuse in my opinion. That's shooting your gun.

Taurus may have a different opinion but honestly I don't think they would have a problem fixing it. The only part that is damaged is the frame, and that can't be the most expensive part on that gun.

#21 ·
this is kinda a tricky thing about life time warranties..

on the one hand the range made money off the gun it was used for comersial purpose so the question is.. is it fair to fix a gun that has been shot to death while earning the previous owner profit?

yet on the other hand if this was the result of use by you or me would'nt you want the gun repaired?

but should taurus have to repair guns that naturally wear out after very high round counts? is a product defective if it simply wears out? rather then break prematurely? but who decides what is premature?

then you have the issues of abuse. should they repair a gun that break but is the result of misuse? such as what if you ran a gun dry for 1k's of rounds? never cleaned it? how often do you clean and oil the gun before it boarders on abuse?

we also have the part of the warranty that covers the gun not the owner.. so if you buy a used gun and it breaks 50 rounds later should it be repaired?

but should the gun be expected to be repaired or replaced 300 years from now?

ah all these questions are very difficult to answer imo..

luckily although they are difficult to answer the likely outcome in this situation is easier to predict..

i predict that more often then not even when abuse has been the cause taurus will honor the warranty and replace/repair the gun.

in this case i think they will fix the gun.

as a side note regardless if it's fixed or not, there is a lesson in this.

do not buy hosed out range guns.. and especially not for near new price tag.

my rule of thumb is if it's not 2/3 (33% less) NIB price i wont even touch a used gun.

IE: a 300 dollar gun should be 200 in good shape used or it's not worth it imo to buy used, this obviously has exceptions to the rule but thats my general rule of thumb.

#22 ·
Just thought I would update this thread as others have requested....

Taurus replaced my pistol with a brand new one.

I'm going to my FFL dealer tomorrow to pick it up.

What I'm wondering is since they do not manufactor the Millenium PT145 (1st gen) anymore will it be a Millenium Pro (newest) or an old 1st gen they have laying around.

They claim it is a BRAND NEW gun, not a fixed return... we'll see.

#25 ·
poor_red_neck said:
Just thought I would update this thread as others have requested....

Taurus replaced my pistol with a brand new one.

I'm going to my FFL dealer tomorrow to pick it up.

What I'm wondering is since they do not manufactor the Millenium PT145 (1st gen) anymore will it be a Millenium Pro (newest) or an old 1st gen they have laying around.

They claim it is a BRAND NEW gun, not a fixed return... we'll see.
Sounds like you got a really nice deal then!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.