Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently bought a Taurus pt 24/7 Pro 2 weeks ago and have taken it to the range twice already.
Each time I put about 200 rounds through it (so a total of 400 rds), and after I returned from the range I started cleaning the pistol. I noticed a chip missing on the slide frame toward the muzzle but inside the slide itself (Between the guide rod/spring and the barrel hole).

These pictures should clear up any confusion on what I am or I am trying to say:

Now my question as stated in title, is this a severe problem? Do I have to send the pistol back to Taurus for a fix or is it merely cosmetic and has no bearing on safety?

...I would also like to know it is a semi-common issue or am I the rare case and no one is sure what may have caused the problem or if it can/will be fixed by Taurus if I had to send it back.

Thanks for your time and I await any advice, solutions or tips.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Never seen anything like that before. Was it there when you bought the gun or after your 1st or 2nd range trip? In my opinion---I would definitely send it in for repair. They'll most likely replace the entire slide.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You're gonna see total failure of the slide, I'd definately get that off immediately, you'll get a new slide.

·
Administrator
40,556 Posts
Its a little hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the metal between the barrel and guide rod is machined somewhat thinly. Now I gotta look at my 145.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Smokewagon said:
...but it looks like the metal between the barrel and guide rod is machined somewhat thinly.
Even if the chip and crack are unusual...I would not want to buy a 24/7 if that area of the slide is manufactured that thin. Is the thin area present on all 24/7s?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
To answer a question above, the chip & crack appeared after my latest range trip.
The pistol was properly oiled and not oiled too much, I also shot normal 9mm FMJ ammo, not +p.
There was no FTF or FTE or any problems this time, the first time I took it to the range it had 2 FTF. So I thought after my most recent trip it had been broken in, until I started cleaning it and found the damage. I couldn't locate the missing chip anywhere and wondered how in the world it it broke in the first place.
What is the proper way to ship the pistol back to Taurus to be fixed/replaced? (The procedure) And the way to receive it back the quickest, I've heard that it has been months before some received their pistol back.
Is there any tips/tricks to get faster service repair?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rwcreigh said:
my blue one has the chip also,i bet they all do
Your chip is exactly where mine is?
How long has it been there? Any problems while shooting?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mp3mogul said:
You're gonna see total failure of the slide, I'd definately get that off immediately, you'll get a new slide.
So you've seen this issue before. Have you personally had this issue? Why do you think it has cracked and chipped?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Quickest and cheapest way to ship would be through the dealer you bought the gun from. Probably cost you around $15-20 instead of over $50 if you were to do it on your own. Go to the TaurusUSA webite, fill out and print the work order form and make sure you put that in with the gun when shipping it. Also, call Taurus and give them the situation before you send it. The more communication you have with them the better.

As far as that "chip" goes----I do NOT have that on the slide of my 24/7 stainless .40

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NYPD in AZ said:
Quickest and cheapest way to ship would be through the dealer you bought the gun from. Probably cost you around $15-20 instead of over $50 if you were to do it on your own. Go to the TaurusUSA webite, fill out and print the work order form and make sure you put that in with the gun when shipping it. Also, call Taurus and give them the situation before you send it. The more communication you have with them the better.

As far as that "chip" goes----I do NOT have that on the slide of my 24/7 stainless .40
I bought the pistol at Academy Sports and Outdoors, I am unsure they would ship the pistol off since they are not solely a Gun Dealer. (They don't take gun returns and for repairs I must ship to Taurus)
But I am unsure why it would cost $50 to ship even insured. Do I have to also pay for return shipping? (If so then it makes sense but $50 one way even insured is really expensive.)

I wouldn't mind shipping it off for repair/replacement, however I would be pissed if I ship it and I have to pay anything more than shipping. I only bought the pistol a little more than 2 weeks ago.

I sorta wish I purchased the original pistol I went there to get, but the ergonomics/weight balance of the pistol was much better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
as a non-ffl individual you, the only way ups and fed-ex will ship your handgun is "next day air". dhl and the post office won't take a handgun........ now, an ffl dealer on the other hand can use the post office and send it priority...... when you talk with taurus, see if you can talk them into letting you ship just the "slide" part of the gun. If they will let you ship just the "slide" part of the gun (not the frame), you can use the post office because you can use the post office to ship a gun part. It gets kind of complicated because the fed govt. considers the "frame" to be the gun. you can use the post office to ship magazines, barrels, triggers,..............ect. The "frame" of a handgun is what the feds regulate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ps, be sure and let us know what taurus says about the chip/crack. i have a brand new 24/7 pro 45acp and haven't put the first bullet through it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
No chip on mine, just a small spot of wear, possible from the spring? Small area goes front to rear, not where the cap sits, but where the spring rests, and only about 1 millimeter wide.Something to keep an eye on for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't even fired mine yet, but I had a small wear mark in the same area. So I took out some fine grit sand paper and immediately it started chipping and now mine is exactly like in your pics now.

Yes, the metal is that thin right there, and mine is the 24/7 pro with a blue slide too.

I took the barrel out and put just the spring guide in and compressed the spring. I can see that when the spring is bunched up, it would eventually chipped mine as well.

Let us know what they say, but I'd bet that it happens to nearly all of them sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.