Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to a fella who said he had to send his PT145 back to Taurus because it would go full when fired. First off, if I could have gotten mine to do that I would have never sold it:D. But secondly, I can't imagine how the PT could go full auto. Has anyone heard of such a malfunction?

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
Nope. Not to say that if the firing pin got stuck in the forward position, that it couldn't happen somehow. But I think if it were true, it would already be on youtube by now.

I've heard of this happening though, not with Taurus but other guns that some shadetree gunsmith got ahold of and rendered the gun unsafe with his tinkering.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have heard of this but not with a taurus firearm.Agree with texastaurusguy about the poor gunsmithing.I'm sure ATF would like to find that gun if it was not sent for repair.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think of the firing pin getting stuck somehow, although that would probably cause an ignition when the first round was chambered. Easy to do with an SKS, or so I've heard:rolleyes:. Had my old mossberg 151 run a double on me once but I couldn't get it to repeat. I can't help but think this is another case of someone not letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I would say that it is a situation of another fella who never owned a Taurus pulling your leg! :D

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I agree with gwk1951. It can happen with (almost) any semi-auto.
I know the gunsmiths on this board would know how it's done.
And a slip of the tongue on "American Guns" also revealed how to do it.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Foolishly playing around with sear engagement and mis-adjustment of the trigger assembly can result in any semi-auto going full auto. 1911's tend to be the most common ones that get mistakenly put into that mode. It's never a good idea to play around with them, aside from the ATF troubles you're dealing with an unsafe weapon.

·
Super Moderator
17,621 Posts
It's happened to me with a .22 and a 1911. It's pretty interesting with a .45.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
With a 1911 yeah.. a pt145... no

·
Registered
327 Posts
A new Kimber (I forget which specific model) went full auto and fired in 2 round bursts intermittently at the range recently. The owner sent it back for repairs. I'm told it had something to do with the sear engagement by the people who gave its insides a look.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
it is possible to make almost any semiauto pistol full auto, some are pretty difficult but it can be done. don't know why it would want to be done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting thread. I found this Youtube video after I bought my PT140 Pro. I must admit it did give me pause, but so far my Milpro has been trouble free. I trust it enough to carry. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread.

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
I don't know why there is all this fuss about getting a gun that goes full auto. I have shot one I rented and its a waste off ammo yes its kind of cool but in a gun fight its worthless IMO. Controlled fire is the way to go. Fully automatic weapons were designed for the military to lay down suppressive fire not accurately attack a position.

As a handgun its worthless in my book. JMO

Reactions: DBMMD and BBGun

·
Registered
27,166 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what the big secret is supposed to be. The difficulty with modifying the sear isn't getting it to go full auto, but to get a really sweet trigger without going full auto.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't know why there is all this fuss about getting a gun that goes full auto. I have shot one I rented and its a waste off ammo yes its kind of cool but in a gun fight its worthless IMO. Controlled fire is the way to go. Fully automatic weapons were designed for the military to lay down suppressive fire not accurately attack a position.

As a handgun its worthless in my book. JMO
At least with the M16, they've gotten away from full auto and will only do three round bursts now. Full auto is a waste of ammo in most cases.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts