Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought, is this a wise section to have due to legal responsibility? I'm not a lawyer but I wouldn't want anyone to get sued or arrested due to something that was aquired through this forum. I'd suggest at the minimum, a legalese disclaimer here that has to be Agreed to before listing any New Topics but I also don't know if it would help.

Any lawyers in the house that could give us some quickie (and free) advice?

Steelheart

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
You agreed to a legal disclaimer when you signed up to the board. Let's be upfront, I'm not promoting illegal sales of firearms. This section is off limits to guest, menaing you have to sign up (agree to the usage agreement) and be logged in before you can see this section.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The majority of the time I don't read those generic legal disclaimers (and obviously had already forgotten about it :-[). But I also know that Gunboards.com allows firearm sales so I've seen forums go both ways.

Steelheart

·
6,541 Posts
I've not yet seen one that didn't. I'm sure there are ones, but I've not noticed them.

I will prolly go back and add a little bit to that clause to make it a little more clear that no one here can be held liable for ones actions, this is only a media forum available to the public blah blah blah.

·
Registered
978 Posts
why?
I'm a member of a Florida board and you wouldn't believe how many guns are bought and sold. Private sales in Florida are perfectly legal.

If you're not comfy with who you're buying from walk away.
And a board like this is not only gun related, it's accessories too.

AFS

·
Registered
790 Posts
I see these on other boards, but they are usually reserved for members who have been around for a while. Some boards won't let "new" members post in these sites until they have made "full member" status and are known to the administrator. I personally like the idea of a for sale section, but I think since this forum is so new, we need to be careful at first. Maybe wait for awhile before opening it up in general. Gun laws differ in so many states, and no one wants to attract the attention of the Feds or ATF for questionable firearms sales. At the very least, any post for sale should include reference to using FFLs to transfer any firearms across state lines. And if you're not an FFL, you cannot use the US Postal Service to send handguns. I welcome more discussion on this matter from all of you.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
178 Posts
I frequent about a dozen gun related forums and all but one have a "classified" section. The only one, I participate in, that does not allow "gun related sales" is the 1911forum.com. They have a classified area for all other gun "related" items.

tex45acp

·
6,541 Posts
I know in TX (where I reside) private party gun sales are perfectly legal. I'm thinking a sticky in the forum that says by using this forum you are agreeing to ......

No feds needed here. I can restrict users up to a given post count which isn't a bad idea to prevent fraud. I will add this to the list. :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a great plan.

Steelheart

·
6,541 Posts
I'm thinking 10 will be a good number to start off with. As the forum grows and the active members get a little more seasoned (read higher post count), the limit will be raised.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Maybe raise it up to 25 after a while. That should be enough posts to get to know a member somewhat. I just wouldn't like to see someone register, then start buying/selling guns without participating in the forum. They can go to online auction sites for that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Go over to thefiringline forum and see how they do there buying and selling sections. they have it all layed out and explain everything.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I can't see how having a gun classifieds could be a problem legally? Almost every gun forum I am on has a gun classifieds.

I say let it stay.

Todd

·
6,541 Posts
It's staying, but there is a restriction of 10 posts to see the gun classifieds. This will help keep down unwanted traffic.

·
32,533 Posts
Requiring 25 or more posts would be the way to go. I ran up 10 posts easily in a few minutes. Anyone could put junk or limited word posts just to get his count up.Many others here have also quickly. Higher numbers means much more effort is needed to reach that goal. People who only want to sell a gun will probably be lazy and be put off by having to make an effort. Would advise against allowing outsiders from ever putting something up for sale. We have no idea who they are or the consequences of such actions. Law or no law saying we are in the legal clear does not matter if a over zealous DA or lawyer decides to use us as an example to further their reputation of standing. They might think they are doing the right thing just because that is what the believe. Remember the college La Crosse team being accused of raping the stripper. It never happened,but the the fallout for all the accused and their families as well as college staff will haunt them indefinitely.Common and sense and decency did not prevail. Just want to make sure there is no chance this place and everybody could become a target for those with agendas or other reasons.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Firing Line and The High Road are two boards with classified sections for firearms. I have seen plenty of members of this board on TFL and THR so I know you're all well aware of how a classified section can work.

They are well-established boards run by some very smart individuals. I'm aware of at least one lawyer-type moderator between the two boards.

Considering the size of membership for each board and the number of years both boards have been operating, I would wager some of the fears expressed in this thread would have materialized at some point. They haven't.

If you're truly concerned, seek the advice of an attorney. But honestly I think this much ado about nothin'. And I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 8)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Well in the State I'm living in private transaction are legal, but in other states I've been too there are some restrictions to selling firearms privately. If you feel uncomfortable doing it you could always go through an FFL which will usually charge you a fee of 35- 50 dollars to do the transfer, and that means they have to do the paperwork and a background check with the Feds. If you are worried about legallity , $50 dollars seems a small price to pay.

·
32,533 Posts
If we were worried about this back then it may not be that way now or the changes would have been made. This all started back when this place first set up shop and we staff were all newbies for the most part. We've grown and become more educated in the way things go now.
As can be seen nothing was changed and those issues were dealt with in one way or another.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts