Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a NIB PT140 Mil Pro from a guy I know who's having financial problems. He bought it last year but had never fired it...in fact, he hadn't cleaned the factory grease out of it. Anyway, I disassembled it today and gave it a good cleaning. After I reassembled it, I noticed something odd - with the striker uncocked, the entire slide assembly seems to be a slightly loose, and can be moved fore and aft perhaps 1/16 of an inch or so. With the striker cocked, it doesn't move. I checked my PT145, and it doesn't do this. I haven't fired the PT140 yet, but I've cycled the slide numerous times and everything seems to be working as it should. Does this sound like something to worry about? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The slides of my PT145 and 24/7 C's are rock solid regardless of the condition of the striker. I don't know about the PT111 and PT140. Let's wait to hear from the other MilPro owners.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, T10. I wanted to put a few rounds through it this afternoon, but now I'm afraid to. Being fairly new to Taurus, I suppose it's possible that I didn't get it reassembled properly, but I can't imagine what the problem could be. Visually, the only possibly-unusual thing I see is that the slide cap (on the rear of the slide at the back of the striker channel) isn't exactly flush with the slide...it's inward just a hair. :confused:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
pt145 is tight, my pt140 a little loose, now i am worried (it has about 200 rounds thru it), my daughter shots this one

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I just bought a NIB PT140 Mil Pro from a guy I know who's having financial problems. He bought it last year but had never fired it...in fact, he hadn't cleaned the factory grease out of it. Anyway, I disassembled it today and gave it a good cleaning. After I reassembled it, I noticed something odd - with the striker uncocked, the entire slide assembly seems to be a slightly loose, and can be moved fore and aft perhaps 1/16 of an inch or so. With the striker cocked, it doesn't move. I checked my PT145, and it doesn't do this. I haven't fired the PT140 yet, but I've cycled the slide numerous times and everything seems to be working as it should. Does this sound like something to worry about? Thanks in advance.
My PT140MilPro is exactly opposite - uncocked I get no slide fwd/bkwd. movement - tighter than a tick. Cocked, ready for action I can move the slide about 1/8" before resistance. Doesn't rattle around, but can be moved physically. Same with Taurus safetylock engaged (uncocked) no movement. Considering mine just returned recently from Taurus for repair and has had 150 rds. thru it, I'd say I'm good to go.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My PT140MilPro is exactly opposite - uncocked I get no slide fwd/bkwd. movement - tighter than a tick. Cocked, ready for action I can move the slide about 1/8" before resistance. Doesn't rattle around, but can be moved physically. Same with Taurus safetylock engaged (uncocked) no movement. Considering mine just returned recently from Taurus for repair and has had 150 rds. thru it, I'd say I'm good to go.
That's weird...thanks. Something else I just noticed...when I pull the trigger to the point of resistance while uncocked, the slide moves rearward. It only moves maybe a 16th of an inch at most, but I can see and hear it. This is understandable, I guess, but I just don't know if it's right. Maybe I'm being paranoid since this gun hasn't been fired (except at the factory, I assume).

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
That's weird...thanks. Something else I just noticed...when I pull the trigger to the point of resistance while uncocked, the slide moves rearward. It only moves maybe a 16th of an inch at most, but I can see and hear it. This is understandable, I guess, but I just don't know if it's right. Maybe I'm being paranoid since this gun hasn't been fired (except at the factory, I assume).
Nope. Don't get that either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. Don't get that either.
Hmmmm...thanks. I haven't had time to look at it more closely, but I'm wondering if it might be a cleaning issue. The guy I bought it from had never cleaned the factory gunk out of it, and some of it seemed to be caked and dry. I cleaned most of it out, but I don't think I got every nook and cranny.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Don't be afraid to break it down and clean it again just to be sure you got everything out. I usually give all my guns a rigorous first cleaning and somewhat over-lube, let it sit for a day or two, break it down and clean and lube it all over again. Same routine for new magazines as well, except for over-lubing since i use a dry lubricant for those. I also move the follower up and down about 50 times per mag with a long screwdriver to loosen the springs up a bit before the first shot. I haven't had any feed issues with that routine that weren't my own fault, big hands get way to close to mag releases sometimes for my own good. It's amazing how much extra crud the extra oil sitting inside will pull out, even after scrubbing every inch of the weapon. I'll take it to the range after that and run it through it's paces, since it's been successful i keep that routine for everything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Montkun...I'll give that a try. It's amazing how much gunk is in these things from the factory.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Thanks Montkun...I'll give that a try. It's amazing how much gunk is in these things from the factory.
It really is, especially if you get one that's sat around for a while and the goop starts to dry. Just getting some type of solvent or oil in there to soak helps to kind of reactivate the stuff so you can blast it out of there. Best of luck to you with that 140, Mil-Pro's are a fine weapon that should give you many rounds of service.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
32,497 Posts
The "goop" is a major problem.

Millennium Pros are reliable guns if broken in right and with proper care. Otherwise I would not have 3 PT132s and two PT111s.

Not to worry. A lot of us found out that though the preservative may have seemed to evaporate or never gave the stuff a second thought, a field strip and clean with some elbow grease , and Gun Scrubber use, will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hmm, you made me look at my pt111. Nope, the slide stays in battery pretty snug. This gun has had 1400 rounds through it without failure so I'm confident it's correctly assembled.
Loose, you say? I wonder if the recoil spring is not sitting in the slide and frame just right. There should be some compression there holding the slide forward and the barrel back fairly firmly.

Perhaps you and a friend can take it apart again and discover what's wrong.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The "goop" is a major problem.

Millennium Pros are reliable guns if broken in right and with proper care. Otherwise I would not have 3 PT132s and two PT111s.

Not to worry. A lot of us found out that though the preservative may have seemed to evaporate or never gave the stuff a second thought, a field strip and clean with some elbow grease , and Gun Scrubber use, will take care of the problem.
I gave it a good overnight soak with Safariland Break-Free CLP, cleaned, lubed and it's still doing the same thing. :mad:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, you made me look at my pt111. Nope, the slide stays in battery pretty snug. This gun has had 1400 rounds through it without failure so I'm confident it's correctly assembled.
Loose, you say? I wonder if the recoil spring is not sitting in the slide and frame just right. There should be some compression there holding the slide forward and the barrel back fairly firmly.

Perhaps you and a friend can take it apart again and discover what's wrong.
The recoil spring appears to be OK, but I'm going to take it apart and check it again. Out of curiosity, I pulled out my Glock 22 and noticed that when it's not cocked, it does the same thing...although not nearly as much. On my PT140, the entire slide assembly moves just by pointing it up and down, and I don't even have to touch the slide. If I can't figure it out, I'll probably take it to my LGS and have them take a look.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It sure sounds like the recoil spring isn't seated just right. I don't see how the slide could move if the recoil spring is keeping forward pressure on that slide. Neither my PT140 or PT111 does this. I know you've already checked it but check the spring assembly again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sure sounds like the recoil spring isn't seated just right. I don't see how the slide could move if the recoil spring is keeping forward pressure on that slide. Neither my PT140 or PT111 does this. I know you've already checked it but check the spring assembly again.
Well, I double-checked and the recoil spring looks OK to me. With the striker uncocked, the slide is still moving fore and aft just by tilting the gun. With the slide fully forward, I'm also still seeing rearward movement of the slide when I pull the trigger just to the point of resistance. With the striker cocked, everything is rock-solid with no movement. The only thing I can see that might be slightly abnormal is the slide cap on the outside of the striker channel...it's inward slightly (but noticeably), and isn't flush with the back of the slide. I might try to disassemble the striker when I have time, and see if there's anything going on there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got around to taking the PT140 to my LGS today, and had them take a look at it. The two guys who examined it were obviously not Mil Pro experts, and didn't have a new one in stock to compare it to. The younger of the two volunteered to test fire it at their indoor range, and I told him to be my guest. He put a new round through it, and four of the grungiest old rounds they had on hand, and it fired them all without a hitch. In fact, he was impressed with how nice it was to shoot.

So, I think I'll put 100 rounds or so through it this afternoon...maybe whatever is wrong (if anything) is related to break-in.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Make sure you clean the striker channel from the factory mine was packed with junk. Just pry off the little plastic cover on the back. Then press firing pin block and push down on striker then pull out the striker stop plate in the rear. Then slide out the striker assembly make sure you dont drop the small spring. Then just clean out the channel

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Make sure you clean the striker channel from the factory mine was packed with junk. Just pry off the little plastic cove on the back. Then press firing pin block and push down on striker then pull out the striker stop plate in the rear. Then slide out the striker assembly make sure you dont drop the small spring. Then just clean out the channel
Will do. Put 20 rounds through it this afternoon (didn't have time for more), and it functioned flawlessly. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts