Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm going to be buying a nice used Taurus .38 revolver soon, but I'm not sure what it is. Its got a blued finish, 3" barrel with the "gutter" sights and the full shroud around the ejector rod. Its a 5 shot and it only has 2 screws in the sideplate. It does not have a screw in the top of the sideplate near the rear sight. It also has the wooden grips with the gold Taurus medallion. Is this a model 85, or is it something completely different? Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

·
Registered
384 Posts
emr454 said:
Thanks!

It told me its a 1994 year model but no specifics. The gun doesnt look that old to me, but apparently it was well taken care of.

Eric
Eric, The website is decent for new models but gives very little info on the older ones. If you could take a few pictures of the revolver, I'm sure serveral members of this fourm could identify it for you in no time. if pictures aren't availabe call Taurus at the number listed at the bottom of the search link.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
If you flip open the cylinder and look at the frame it should say what model it is.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
Sounds like an 85 to me. No top screw on the side plate. The model number isn't under the crane on mine, a serial number, 4 digits. My 66s have a 66 under the crane, go figure. Just posted this on another thread. Has the front sight modded, but otherwise is a 10 year old M85UL stainless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts