Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this and was wondering if this was a valid observation and criticism of the CM9:

"I recently had to repair one of these. The fatal flaw of this pistol is the pin holding the trigger goes through the plastic frame without any added support. Every time you pull the trigger, you are enlarging the holes through the frame to a tiny degree. The trigger will inevitably loosen. Eventually the gun will be unusable. It is a fine gun to carry, but practice shooting with something more durable."

Read the original article here: Kahr CM9 Review . Make sure you visit GunsHolstersAndGear.com for all of the latest gun news, reviews and SHOT Show coverage.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Because the plastic wears away? Under pressure from your trigger finger, which 2 cm away from the pin exercises 6 lbs of pressure (meaning, at the pin it's essentially zero)? How many trigger cycles would this take? 100,000? 200,000? A million?

It's a crazy assertion, which if we were a culture of responsibility, would have to be backed up with observations of said failures.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Notice that the author of the full review pans the PT709:

"I’ve previously shot and reviewed the Taurus 709, a single stack 9mm with dimensions similar to the Kahr CM9. Actually, the Kahr is a little smaller and lighter. However, the recoil from the 709 is much harsher than from the CM9. (Don’t get me started on the infinitely better reliability of the Kahr, either.)" (emphasis added)

The "trigger pin" flaw you mentioned is a comment to the article:

toadboy65 says:
May 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm
I recently had to repair one of these. The fatal flaw of this pistol is the pin holding the trigger goes through the plastic frame without any added support. Every time you pull the trigger, you are enlarging the holes through the frame to a tiny degree. The trigger will inevitably loosen. Eventually the gun will be unusable. It is a fine gun to carry, but practice shooting with something more durable.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Came across this and was wondering if this was a valid observation and criticism of the CM9:

"I recently had to repair one of these. The fatal flaw of this pistol is the pin holding the trigger goes through the plastic frame without any added support. Every time you pull the trigger, you are enlarging the holes through the frame to a tiny degree. The trigger will inevitably loosen. Eventually the gun will be unusable. It is a fine gun to carry, but practice shooting with something more durable."

Read the original article here: Kahr CM9 Review . Make sure you visit GunsHolstersAndGear.com for all of the latest gun news, reviews and SHOT Show coverage.
I've read the review several times to find that "quote" and finally found it on a "opinion" by a "toadboy65" way down on the replies. My opinion on this is that is just another opinion on the actual. review. Nothing more or less.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
My opinion - Kahr builds well and builds smart. I know a number of LEOs who carry Kahr pistols as bug or off duty. I carry a CW9 and it is a well sorted winner of a gun. It out shoots my 709 hands down - sorry but true.

Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one and the other guy's stinks!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Kahr pistols have no trigger pin flaw.

This is a non issue. My Kahrs have thousands of rounds through them....I detail strip them yearly for inspection. They're just fine.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
not a big kar fan but not to do with the pistol just personal preference my son loves his. I alway question the motive behind some one who dropps these little negative opinions in threads i think the could be a competitor a gun hater or someone with an axe to grind starting what i call and urban legend just because of 1 negative thing can lead to snow balled effect i have seen some well respected things bashed to peices

jhp

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Might be an issue after several million rounds, or if you left your pistol in a toaster oven set as high as it can get.

I bet Kahr would love to see that CM-9 that needed repair. I am willing to bet there was abuse involved.

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I call BS. Plastic is pretty elastic stuff, and in the location the slide stop pin goes through it's real thick. I haven't had any trouble out of mine, and it's one of my most trusted carry pieces. Here's a pic that shows where the pin goes pretty well. The arrows show the thickness of the plastic.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Old jocko on the Kahrtalk forum has put over 32,000 rounds thru his PM9. I am a seasoned member there for years and have never seen any problems with the triggers.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I don't know where that character is coming up with the trigger issue. The hole that the stop goes through and the stop itself don't really have anything to do with the trigger.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
The only fault I find with Kahr's is one shared with SIG's & H&K's.

Though well engineered their cost of manufacture is relatively cheap, but the savings isn't passed on to the comsumer, resulting in guns that are WAAAAAY over priced.

I say this, because of the quality I get from Taurus semiautos at a substantial savings to my wallet... :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Spreading rumors on web forums can do real harm. Many turn to specific forums for 'expert' advise - the inside scoop. Recently Vihtavuori Powder was undergoing some restructuring. A contract with the Finnish armed forces had expired - parent companies were restructuring and a (as in one) plant may close in the next few years.

That news quickly set off a firestorm that Vihtavuori Powder was going out of business OR will no longer be imported into the US or about 3 other untrue versions of what was - in essence - business as usual. I even heard one of the sr. sales guys at a local reloading shop repeating a version of the rumor to a customer.

Sorry for the mini rant - I saw it on the web so it must be true - - NOT!!

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The only fault I find with Kahr's is one shared with SIG's & H&K's.

Though well engineered their cost of manufacture is relatively cheap, but the savings isn't passed on to the comsumer, resulting in guns that are WAAAAAY over priced.

I say this, because of the quality I get from Taurus semiautos at a substantial savings to my wallet... :icon_ lala:
On the other hand, my friend - I've been messing with the sights on my 709 ever since I bought it. Eventually I added the TRUGLO big front light pipe - better, still not great. Today I ordered a set of Advantage Tactical sights that, if the reviews are true should make quite an improvement. Between the two I'm $100+ out of pocket plus time, ammo and bench testing. My Kahr sights leave nothing to be desired - the gun is stock and has been a great carry for at least 4 years.

When a BUG match comes up I take the Kahr. The 709 sits in the safe. Maybe the sights will change that balance a bit. The 709 is very good in all other regards (though I do have 8 round mags as well as 7s for the Kahr CW9). I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Kahr has seven different patents on their pistol design, and that makes them something you won't get from any other manufacturer. The offset barrel lug allows them to get the axis of the bore lower, and that translates into reduced felt recoil. Even being such a small pistol, the CM9 is still a very soft shooter. The trigger setup has several patents of it's own, and it's safe, smooth, and relatively light. Because of the way the cam works to finish cocking the striker you get increasing mechanical advantage as the striker spring is increasingly loaded. The result is a pull that's consistent all the way back to the break. No stacking at all with a Kahr. And Kahr, like Glock, has standardized magazines - so you're not stuck with 6 round mags. I carry a 6 round mag in my CM9, and two 8 round mags in a carrier, and they all work just dandy.

The one slam that Kahr does deserve is in regard to their magazines. They need to be carried in a hard sided carrier, and preferably one that is molded around an actual bullet. If you push down on the top round in a Glock mag, it will work it's way farther into the mag. If you do it with a Kahr mag, the rounds will work their way out. I carried a spare mag in a nylon carrier for a while, and I kept removing the mag only to find several loose rounds laying at the bottom of the carrier. I molded my own kydex for a carrier, and no longer have the problem. It's something you need to be aware of.

You can see clearly in this pic how the kydex needs to be molded around the bullet...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
What that Austrian company that has pins pushed through a polymer frame that holds the guts of the pistol together again? I just can't think of the name... I hear they are kinda reliable though... damn near bullet proof infact... name rimes with lock...

This guy is nit picking and prolly wouldn't be happy with 95% of the modern polymer pistols out there and frankly I consider Kahr to be one of the better made out of the whole bunch. And the CM9 is prolly the best bang for the buck I've seen these run must more reasonable compared to the PM9 that they actually put to much into if you ask me. CM9's guts are pretty much the same as the PM9 just less machining operations and stuff like they didn't put a polygonal barrel in it. I've seen the CM9 go for less then 400 bucks to, so it's a heck of a gun in my book. Just my thoughts on it though, i don't own one... but I've never heard an issue with one and would trust my life to one in a second.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for the input.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I wouldn't worry what someone says on the net. I heard my Taurus guns were junk from haters but mine has been problem free. Enjoy your gun and in the words of Taurus carry on my friend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts