Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a cheap knife some time ago, don't remember the exact circumstances. It looks like it's been around for a while and has a handmade stag-type handle riveted to the tang. It looks like a cheap kitchen knife that somebody gussied up. The only things that have piqued my interest are (1) it has "KA-BAR" stamped on one side (see picture below), and (2) the metal doesn't behave or feel like common cheap stainless steel. It accepts and retains a very sharp edge, much more so than the stuff you find at Walmart.

I'm sure it's just some previous owner's attempt to put some glimmer of fame on a cheap knife, but there's that nagging little part that wonders if Ka-Bar ever made kitchen cutlery. I tried researching it, but internet search engines seem inconclusive. Opinions?

cheap knife.jpg cheap knife closeup.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,807 Posts
OK, then it’s a tactical butter knife. Will also filet a mean fish and field dress a hog or deer if under duress.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I have a similar knife without the Ka-Bar stamp. It's made from a piece of a planer blade stuck into a piece of elk antler. Kind of ugly but it's sharper than a fishwife's tongue.

20190904_171827.jpg

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Many years ago, it was very common to take a knife that had been broken/damaged or the blade had been worn away from repeated sharpening and make a "custom" knife. It was considered wasteful to discard a perfectly good piece of steel. So, they would slap on some handle scales and grind the blade down to whatever shape suited their needs or fancy. I've seen a lot of these in antique shops around here. They are predominantly of Case and Kabar origin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I've got a feeling the guy that built it was the one that stamped it KA-BAR...it looks funny. The R is low and the dash is long. KA-BAR usually used a tang stamp. Just a guess though.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
36,479 Posts
OK, then it’s a tactical butter knife. Will also filet a mean fish and field dress a hog or deer if under duress.
Come on now-- you trying to pull our leg!
its not black and it don't have a rail on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
USMC butter must be some very tough stuff, then!
You've never seen Navy Rations/MREs, have you?

Seriously, their generic version of Cheerios in the breakfast MREs is just hex nuts. ;)

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Super Moderator
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've never seen Navy Rations/MREs, have you?

Seriously, their generic version of Cheerios in the breakfast MREs is just hex nuts. ;)
Grade 8, or do they let you have Grade 5 stainless?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Grade 8, or do they let you have Grade 5 stainless?
Grade 8 Carbon Steel because it's richer in Iron.

They experimented with 18-8 Stainless Steel, but quickly discovered that it wasn't as nutritious and had a tendency to *ahem* gum up the works, not to mention cause galling.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Super Moderator
21,587 Posts
I've got a feeling the guy that built it was the one that stamped it KA-BAR...it looks funny. The R is low and the dash is long. KA-BAR usually used a tang stamp. Just a guess though.
I was thinking the same thing. The age and ware marks look a lot older than the KA-BAR stamp.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts