Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Which calibers do you think is inappropriate for SD?

• 9mm Luger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .40S&W

• .45ACP

• .357 Sig

• .357 Mag

• 10mm Auto

• .44 Mag

• .454 Casull

• .480 Ruger

• .50AE

• .500 S&W

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we often talk about what is inadequate for SD, now the question is there anything to big to carry? check all the caliber that you think's to large, caliber with least votes is the one best suited for defense.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
.44 Magnum is the highest caiber I would choose for self-defense. (I'm putting the .45 Colt under the .44 mag so that is also acceptable)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Oops. I think we need to reset the poll. And this time, make the in, a little bigger. as in, INappropriate

·
Administrator
39,370 Posts
I think .44 mag and ,45 Colt is appropriate. :guns:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya sorry i guess maybe i should have said "unsuitable" might have been more clear, i was curious what you guys thought was to big to use on someone.. we often talk about whats to small but not whats to big..

personally i drawl the line at .357 mag, i wouldn't carry a .44mag my self.. i think it's a bit of overkill and over penetration even with rapid expanding bullets is quite possible.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Well, the poll was phrased for self defense so I went with 9mm to 44 Mag in the context of home defense. If I lived out in the boondocks, there's no question I would grab one of the bigger rounds if it were the closest gun.

But for civilian, personal carry out on the streets I would also exclude 44 Mag, 10mm and 357 Sig. I wouldn't argue anyone's choice for wanting to carry those last three rounds, and certainly those rounds have their place in law enforcement. But for me, I don't see myself needing that much penetrating power.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
VegasGuy said:
But for civilian, personal carry out on the streets I would also exclude 44 Mag, 10mm and 357 Sig. But for me, I don't see myself needing that much penetrating power.
Just curious why you wouldn't also exclude the .357 Mag? Out of a 3"+ barrel its penetration is equal to the .357 Sig and greater than the 10mm.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats correct vegas the poll's meaning is human vs human SD, obviously for wilderness protection it's a little to varied for the poll.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Just curious why you wouldn't also exclude the .357 Mag? Out of a 3"+ barrel its penetration is equal to the .357 Sig and greater than the 10mm.
Why? Because, I didn't realize that. ;)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. If you can carry it and can accurately shoot it, I don't think any of those are too big. The largest I personally carry is a .45 acp, but that's just my preference. Your mileage may vary.

Now, if you want to throw in concealability, there again anything is concealable.....under a trench coat. I personally carry medium frame .45's and .38/.357's and conceal them by dressing like a geek in the summertime, or by sticking my J-frame in a pocket holster.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Put me down as another who flipped how they should have voted. I feel that the 44 mag is marginal but voted 44mag and down when I should have voted for those above 44 mag.

Steelheart

·
Registered
178 Posts
When we talk of self defence (2 legged adversarys) we need to consider recovery time as well as overpenitration. I'd place the .44mag absolute tops. I have shot the .41 mag with WW 170gr Silvertips out of a 3" S&W that were easy to control. I really like the .45 Colt/.45 Auto class cartridge. We may be seen as a Dirty Harry type with the bigger guns. Frank

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
I asked my wife the original question and she says NO :p

·
Registered
846 Posts
As already said you have to worry about over penetration I would never worry about the person being shot, just the one behind him, I draw the line at my .40 and .357, and if my .357 had a longer barell I would not use it. Unless your in your home I keep my .44 loaded for that, but never for CCW. I can't believe anyone would ever think of using a .500 for a CCW. I understood the poll fine guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts