Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

A disclaimer. I like Taurus and am in no way here to bash the company or its firearms. My wife has a .357 Taurus that she really likes and I have a PT145 that I realy like as well. Trouble is, mine broke.

Taurus has had it since March and they keep telling me 1 1/2 more weeks, 2 more weeks, etc. The initial estimate was 3-4 weeks.

Do any of you have any contact information for someone at Taurus who is authorized to do something about the problem?

Any help would be appreciated. I can't wait to get my gun back!

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
625 Posts
Unfortunately, since this website isn't an "official" website of Taurus, we are all just fans, we don't have any real affiliation with Taurus. You might want to call and ask for a manager. Maybe that will get better results?

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that this isn't an official Taurus website. I was just hoping that, being Taurus owners yourselves, that someone might have an idea of how to speed things up. I have called and spoken with "a manager" and they are just about as helpful as the minions.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not sure what else to recommend. I have never dealt with Taurus CS, so maybe someone else will happen along that knows more.

Todd

·
Registered
135 Posts
Always ask for the supervisor, no matter who or what you call. The phone monkeys usually don't have a clue as to whats going on. That way, you don't have to yell at someone who is innocent, and the supervisor has to actually work for some of that money. Supervisors can access things that standard customer service reps cannot, don't let them tell you otherwise.

In fact, some companies let the phone monkeys have access to everything. I have a friend who works for a credit card company, and he can tell you everything about yourself.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Send them the following in a letter:

"Oh, I forgot to mention that the Taurus I sent in for repair is somewhat radioactive - a few days exposure shouldn't hurt anybody, but any longer, and well, it's my wife's gun, and we don't need a night light any more...."

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Is there an "Official" Taurus website? To the best of my knowledge this is the best source for Taurus info, or is it? If we are, then perhaps Taurus should recognize us and add us to the "help" loop...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well, I'm not sure that we would want that correlation. As it is right now, people have the right to come on here and express honest and open reviews of their weapons. If we were directly associated with Taurus, people might not feel welcomed to do so.

Todd

·
Registered
93 Posts
DRAEGER said:
To the best of my knowledge this is the best source for Taurus info, or is it?
I'd say that that's an accurate statement.

As for Taurus customer service; "2 more weeks" is the standard answer it seems. I think WeThePeople will just have to suck it up and keep cool. I've been waiting since March too and they apparently just got around to diagnosing my gun last week some time. Now I'm awaiting a barrel to arrive at their factory from Brazil to fix it in about....two weeks.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I had to send mine in a couple of months ago. I called to check on it after 6 weeks and try and get the addy changed because I had moved in the time it was on vacation. I was told it would be returned within the 6 weeks and that it was received on the 17th. UPS tracking showed someone received it and signed for it on the 3rd. I didn't challenge that one. It did arrive about 6 weeks from the date they said they received it.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
As far as correlation to Taurus, there is none. It's been claimed and accused of, but in spite of what they would like to believe, there is none. As previously stated, I had to wait just as long as most others. I wouldn't mind being affiliated with them, but it wouldn't affect the integrity of the site at all. They would of course have to supply me with free guns and priority repairs. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
They've had my dad's PT-25 for like 2 months now. Good thing their guns don't break for my dad and I.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I purchased my PT145 at Gander Mountain and was told that they are official repair depots for Taurus guns and maybe faster.
cmanhome

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
There is a disconnect here. Taurus repairs their guns in Brazil, I do believe. So, the date that UPS showed was the date that it arrived in Florida, not in Brazil. A perusal of their catalog showed only the PT22 and PT25 as "made in the USA".

Calling their American service center, and asking about a gun in Brazil, is not going to guarantee up-to-date information. I doubt that Taurus Brazil has a system in place that updates information daily by serial number.

While we Americans want it "now", Brazil has the more European outlook of "it'll get there when it gets done". If you speak Portugese, call the Brazilian Office, and see if they can provide you with a contact. Unlike America, the Brazilians feel no responsibility to learn another language because others don't want to learn theirs.

My own experience with other manufacturers has been that 4-6 weeks is the normal turn-around, unless you are military or police, and writing on their letterhead. That includes Ruger, S&W, Sig, and HK. The fastest Customer Service was with Colt, believe it, or not. Adding in the time to ship out of country, that could equate to 8-11 weeks.

With the on-going ambi-safety problem in the PT1911, that could have overwhelmed the service department, adding to the time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
JR said:
Taurus repairs their guns in Brazil, I do believe.
IMO, that's an urban myth. From a logistical perspective, shipping the gun to Brazil makes no sense because it would increase the cost of repairs (cheaper to ship and stock small parts here than entire guns there) and likely require additional Federal paperwork.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Certain repairs are done in Miami, as per Taurus Int'l Mfg.
Don't have specifics on which ones but not all guns are sent to Brazil.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I'm not current on the R&R of shipping guns by a manufacturer, for repairs, to the country of origin. Are you? However, it used to be that HK, Glock, and Sig would return failed weapons for repair beyond a certain point.

It would require far more than a few parts and pieces for Taurus. There are necessary fixtures, and specialized tools required for some repairs. Especially in view of the current Lifetime Warranty, and the plethora of models that it covers. For example, there would have to be a sizable re-finishing area. Many parts need to be refinished after fitting. They would also have to have a sizable staff on hand, again because the plethora of models will require multiple gunsmiths to insure a reasonable turn-around.

Faced with the high cost of labor here, and the various OSHA and EPA requirements, and attendant insurance, the cost of shipping a gun to Brazil looks less and less onerous. Cheaper labor, abundant fixtures and parts, and a large labor pool would cut into the cost quickly. Add to that the more generous environmental and labor laws, and it may look like a wash to Taurus.

Before we consign this to the region of myth, how about a few facts, either way?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
JR said:
Before we consign this to the region of myth, how about a few facts, either way?
Sounds like we are both in favor of that point. You have made some persuasive arguments. Does anyone have the real story? Taurus employee, where are you?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I work in international shipping and I will tell you that shipping a firearm overseas requires a certain bit of licensing and tariffs to be paid coming and going. When you look at the price of a taurus on top of licensing and registration fees, there is about a hundred dollars of the cost of the gun due to shipping. We are not talking about the cost to put it on a boat and shipping it here, we are talking about tariffs uncle Sam and Brazil charges to bring stuff in to their countries. So I don't believe Taurus would spend the money to ship stuff back it would cost too much in shipping just to do a warranty repair, per gun. they may send batches back, which may account for the wait time, but I doubt it. You would have to pay someone a lot more to do all the paperwork and customs fees to just get the guns out of the country.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Realistically about the only thing you can do to speed up the repair of your gun is pray a lot. Calling a lot is only going to upset you as all you will get is the old canned line about "we will put a rush on it"... sure they will... it took them 5 weeks in their possession to return my gun with a note saying "we can find nothing wrong with it."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts