Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The website shows the weight of both the PT111 and PT140 as 18.7 oz. yet the 140 is .125" wider.
If those weights are true it makes these among the lightest on the market for comparable items.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Is the Specs on Taurus website to be believed?

Don't know about the milpro weights, but the answer to your question is no.

The website is pitiful. I've offerered some positive suggestions to no avail, so they'll get no slack from me on the website.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If you were looking at the stainless specs, I think it's a misprint. The blued model shows the same width as the 9mm - it's the PT145 that's 1.25" wide. I don't doubt for a minute that the 9mm and 40 are the same weight. The only difference is the barrel and the hole in the end of the slide. They even use the same weight recoil spring assembly. And that's pretty common. One of the big selling points of the 40 has always been that it fits in the same size package as the 9mm - regardless of manufacturer.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I'll take Leejack's as a personal opinion. Taurus has an ok website I would say yes they are the right specs.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you were looking at the stainless specs, I think it's a misprint. The blued model shows the same width as the 9mm - it's the PT145 that's 1.25" wide. I don't doubt for a minute that the 9mm and 40 are the same weight. The only difference is the barrel and the hole in the end of the slide. They even use the same weight recoil spring assembly. And that's pretty common. One of the big selling points of the 40 has always been that it fits in the same size package as the 9mm - regardless of manufacturer.
Yes I was looking at the stainless specs. So you are telling me the outside dimensions of both the PT111 and PT140 are identical?
I'm considering buying the 140 while its on sale at Academy this week. I've researched a good many different brands and have settled on the Taurus after shooting a guys PT145 at the range and because of its smaller dimensions and lighter weight.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
Dude,

Q: What's the difference between a 9mm and the .40 (10mm)?

A: One millimeter.

The guns are the same size, and for all intents and purposes the same weight.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would someone be so kind as to put either a PT111 or 140 on a set of scales with an empty magazine and weigh it for me? My wife's Weight Watcher scales works perfectly for such things

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Would someone be so kind as to put either a PT111 or 140 on a set of scales with an empty magazine and weigh it for me? My wife's Weight Watcher scales works perfectly for such things
I've done that already.
My PT111 Pro comes in at 240z on a digital postal scale.
The Taurus website has it at about 18oz - which is really the weight of the PT709.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Better yet, take them to the post office and and ask the clerk to weigh them there. Very accurate scales from what I hear. :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Lance. Now there is no need for anyone to take tongue-in-cheek post seriously.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lance, thank you very much. You information is most helpful

Jerry

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had planned to get a PT140 this week at Academy, I had the wife talked out of the money and was all set to go. I have a Ruger SR40 which weighs in at 27.25 oz. I wanted something lighter in weight for CCW but at 24 ozs. with the PT I'm only gaining 3 ozs. Hardly a deal maker.

I'm losing a little in the physical size department but thats hardly noticeable with my Cleveland IWB holster.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I had planned to get a PT140 this week at Academy, I had the wife talked out of the money and was all set to go. I have a Ruger SR40 which weighs in at 27.25 oz. I wanted something lighter in weight for CCW but at 24 ozs. with the PT I'm only gaining 3 ozs. Hardly a deal maker.

I'm losing a little in the physical size department but thats hardly noticeable with my Cleveland IWB holster.
You'd give up a lot of firepower (capacity), but the PT740 weighs about half a pound less that your Ruger.
That's noticeable.

·
10,379 Posts
<snip> Cleveland IWB holster.
<hijack> Would that a "Cleveland's Ugly Holster"? Just curious to see how far his business has spread if it has. </hijack>

·
Registered
6,961 Posts

I suggest you check out the SR40c. It's about 23.5oz and comes with a shorty 9rd mag for concealed carry and a regular 15rd mag that's the same as the SR40 mags.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts

Before you make a decision based on numbers I would strongly recommend that you get your hands on all the weapons you are considering. If you can get to one, a gun show is a good place for that. I like to handle weapons I'm considering to check the ergonomics, and I always check the trigger. I do my electronic homework, but there's just no substitute for actually getting your hands on 'em. JAT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts