Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the PT1911 9mm basically the same as the 45acp version. I have two Springfield 45 1911's that will take basically all after market parts, does the Taurus PT1911 9mm fit the same conditions. Does anyone have any preferences as to 9mm mags for this gun?

·
Registered
597 Posts
You may be under the assumption that the 1911 has total drop in parts. Not always but alot of times 1911 parts will need to be fitted, even if it is just a slight filing.

The 1911 platform is a design. The caliber is a preference. Taurus has some differences in their weapons, for instance the Ambidex safety makes doing somethings to the weapon require other upgrades. Most aftermarket parts will work usually with a Taurus, but not always, but that can be true of any 1911 caliber or make.

I am no expert on the 1911, but it is very very versatile in any event. I personally feel that the 1911 is supposed to be a .45,that's just me though. To each his own, and no, I do not have a bias against the 9mm, it is a very dependable round when understood and used properly. Hell, the 9mm saved my ass more times than I'm allowed to talk about between 1991 and 1998 while I was enlisted.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In a word - NO - the PT1911 9mm has a ramped barrel, so the frame and the barrel are different from standard 1911's.

On the other hand, I have tried several different manufacturers' 9mm mags in my 9mm PT1911 without any problems.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood, are you asking in you could drop in your .45 parts into a 9mm or vice versa?

Because the differences are more than the Barrel and frame.
you would also have to include
extractor
ejector
firing pin
recoil spring
magazine
slide

I thought we were just talking design, not interchanging parts between the 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am aware of the differances in the barrels, extractors firing pin and such, I was primarily asking about cosmetics, like differant grips, I am now aware of the differance in sights because of the dovetail and thanks for the info on after market mag's. I have 2 Springfield 1911 45acp pistols and have done work to them so the minor fitting is not a problem. Are there after market 9mm barrels for the PT1911?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just did a quick google on that and found several places to get .355 barrels. Everything from mass produced replacements to custom precisiom machined match grade. I think it is safe to assume that the aftermarket 1911 parts arent just limited to the .45 or .40 or 9mm(.355). You just have to research and make sure you are looking at the correct caliber.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
In a word - NO - the PT1911 9mm has a ramped barrel, so the frame and the barrel are different from standard 1911's.
On the other hand, I have tried several different manufacturers' 9mm mags in my 9mm PT1911 without any problems.
Charlie hit the nail dead on the head!
NO they are not the same weapon!
as mentioned different extractors, likely different recoil spring rates, the barrel being thicker(smaller bore) makes the weapon somewhat heavier, but the biggy is the fully supported ramped barrel, so the frame will also be cut for this thereby making the frame different as well.
Now the 38 Super is very, very close to the 45 acp in the PT1911.
SO! it depends on exactly what parts that you are speaking of.
the PT1911 is basically a Mil-spec 1911.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Not sure what you are shooting for here. But the 9mm is a shorter higher pressure cartridge than the .45 Auto and the ramped barrel is one of those 9mm changes, although I would think a .38 Super ramped barrel would be an improvement of the current barrel and link setup. The 9mm magazine is a .38 Super mag with a spacer in it, remove the spacer and you can use it in your .38 Super, or vice versa. The 9mm slide should be the same as the .38 Super slide but I haven't heard anyone say one way or the other yet. If it is then the slide internals would be the same too. The 1911 lower receiver should be the same for the .45 Auto, .38 Super and 9mm, if anyone knows different, chime in now. Personally, I feel the 1911 was designed around a much longer cartirdge so you are wasting a lot of space in the design. Now if you just want a John Browning designed 9mm, get a Browning HiPower. Now that 9mm ramped barrel design would be so much better in a .38 Super, or a 9X23 Dillon, or one of those longer .355" auto cartridges, if you just have to have a 1911 in that caliber.

I think what a few others have tried to say is that Rule #1 of the 1911 is: "There are no drop in parts for the 1911." Truth is sometimes you get lucky and other times not. The 1911 is build around gunsmithing. The better the gunsmith, the better the 1911. Plan on fitting all parts you replace and understand that you may have to modify other related parts as a consequence of changing out another part, like replacing the sear or disconnector, or both, may cause you to replace the grip safety. Which brings us to Rule #2 of the 1911: "Modify the cheapest part first." It won't take you long to find out why.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Not really sure about the top end (slide)being the same on the 9mm and the 38 Super?
Taurus said the extractors were different!
whether thats true or not I don't actually know?
seems to me they would be the same?
and yes I would like for my 38 Super to have a ramped barrel but I don't load to the extreme and the barrel and cartridge has worked quite well now for some 80 plus years, so i can live with it.
I compare drop in parts on a 1911 (any 1911) much like going to the local auto parts store and buying a set of "Universal" spark plug wires!
on a few cars they fit like a glove, on most its adjust and cut here and there to make them fit and look right.
so i guess I would say the answer to the OP as to "will most parts fit the PT1911"i is a postive "MAYBE".

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Looks like others have covered the bases pretty well but I do have one more but of info to add.

Not all ramped barrel cuts are the same, the Taurus uses the Clark/Para style barrel.
Another good point that greenwolf and i had forgotten to mention!
if ordering a barrel to do yourself then thats important, if a gunsmith is doing the fitting (which in my case he would ) then hoepfully he already knows this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts