Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bud's gun shop (even though they're out), advertises the Model 627 as a 3-caliber gun: 38 spl, 357 mag, and 9mm with stellar clips. Is this true?

( I had a Ruger 357/9mm Blackhawk years ago, but it came with 2 cylinders. )

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I KNOW why I didn't get any responses here ----- it is/was a Taurus Myth. Apparently back about 6-7 year ago, Taurus "announced" the Model 627 Triad that would chamber and shoot 38spl, 357 mag, and 9mms (with half-moons or steller clips.)

And it apparently never did get off the ground or off the drawing board and out the door. Seems like a neat idea to me, and I'd save my pennies if they ever actually came out with one.

But I guess it ain't going to happen.

Nice ring to it, eh? The Taurus Triad!!!!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't see how it would be possible. The base diameter of a 357 is .379 and a 9mm is .391. A 9mm won't fit in a 357 chamber. If you reamed the cylinder out to 9mm dimentions a 357 would be a sloppy fit. Not to mention accuracy problems shooting a 9mm bullet(.355) through a 357 bore. Then you would have to consider the long jump a 9mm would have to make just to get to the throat in a 357 chamber. Way to many problems to overcome.

Reactions: chuck_in_texas

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guess that answers my question, I've been told it was possible several times, wouldnt want to try it with any of my guns though.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red dog: exactly! I mentioned that year ago I had a Ruger Blackhawk that came with two cylinders: 357/38 and 9mm. But the 9mm (although I shot it a lot since surplus ammo was cheap and saved me some realoding time), was never as accurate as the 357s. I suspect it was because the bore had to be sized to .357 and the 9mms are only .355 Not a big difference, but I can't account for why else it would be less accurate than the other. ( I also had a BHawk in 45lc and with a 45 acp cylinder).

But I sure WOULD buy a Triad if they could work out the technical problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes I considered a convertable Blackhawk years ago when Buckeye wholsale had them. A friend bought one and the nine didn't shoot for beans. That was back before the 9mm became popular and all the guys I knew in LE were still carrying 357's.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If the chambers on the .357 is generous enough it will chamber. I can shoot certain brands of .38 Super in my S&W 360 .357.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I guess generous would be a polite way of describing a 357 that will chamber 9mm. Most won't and weren't intended to.
If the chambers on the .357 is generous enough it will chamber. I can shoot certain brands of .38 Super in my S&W 360 .357.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts