Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Have you had reliability issues with your GX4

• The gun has been completely reliable. It's good to go as a carry gun

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I've had minor issues, but still consider it okay to carry

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • If had significant issues, and don't consider it reliable enough for carry / defensive use

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GX4 has been in the wild for a few months now. It was obviously designed as a carry gun. Now that people have them and have been shooting them, the question is whether the design is reliable enough to be used for carry, or does Taurus need more time to work out bugs. There were a couple of Youtube videos early on there where showing trigger issues, including delayed firing. This is the type of thing that would mark it as unreliable. But those were also anecdotal, and haven't heard more about that since.

So I figured I'd put out a poll about peoples experiences with this gun. If you have one please answer below:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah I think that whole trigger issue in My opinion was a fluke , ! -3 ? and then they couldn't replicate it ? and then the Moron reholster's a supposed Malfunctioning weapon? ,what a dick?!! a stupid one !! , his opinion is a 0, I Have had NO TRIGGER ISSUES AT ALL!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May have just been an early production thing they worked out.

Yeah I think that whole trigger issue in My opinion was a fluke , ! -3 ? and then they couldn't replicate it ? and then the Moron reholster's a supposed Malfunctioning weapon? ,what a dick?!! a stupid one !! , his opinion is a 0, I Have had NO TRIGGER ISSUES AT ALL!!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
We have been waiting to see how the above pans out. Very interested in the pistol but being striker fired it must be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been reading the TaurusArmed forums for many, many months now. I decided to register specifically so I could reply to this post.

I purchased a GX4 mainly for CCW. I also have a Taurus G2C, which I really like, but the G2C is just a tad larger and heavier than I prefer to carry. I've put 1,600 rounds through my GX4. I always clean, lube, and lightly polish the feed ramp before each range trip. The only issue I've had is a failure to go into battery five times with three different ammo brands. In fact, it happened twice yesterday while shooting some "hotter" ammo.

I have yet to figure out what is causing this. Since the GX4 is so small, and my hands are fairly large, my best guess is that my thumb is inadvertantly contacting the mag release button just enough to barely unseat the mag but not enough to eject it; however, I have yet to conclusively confirm that. I currently have the larger backstap installed. Before my next range trip I will install the smaller backstrap, to see if a slightly different grip position makes any difference.

Although I still carry the GX4 quite often, this issue is in the back of my mind. Even though five out of 1,600 rounds is only 1/3 of one percent, that's still less than 100% reliable, so it's a concern (at least for me). It's important to note that I am not blaming the gun; it could very well be ME that is causing this reliability issue. The GX4 is a fine firearm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Didn’t vote in this poll because I don’t own a GX4. I did have the opportunity to rent one at an indoor range yesterday, As mentioned in another post I found the GX4 to appear well made. The range gun likely had 1000 plus rounds through it. Like most range rentals it hadn’t been cleaned and needed a good cleaning. Put 100 rounds of WWB through it without any issues. From my limited experience with the GX4 it is definitely capable and reliable for EDC.

·
Registered
37,209 Posts
AT the end of the day the person that should decide on reliability of a firearm (especially a defensive firearm) is the person that will be using it and depending on it.
I am sure we all have our own levels of performance, mine is that If i have any malfunctions from any one of 5-6-7 different self defense ammo that i have or from range ammo then its NOT to that lever for me personally.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've been reading the TaurusArmed forums for many, many months now. I decided to register specifically so I could reply to this post.

I purchased a GX4 mainly for CCW. I also have a Taurus G2C, which I really like, but the G2C is just a tad larger and heavier than I prefer to carry. I've put 1,600 rounds through my GX4. I always clean, lube, and lightly polish the feed ramp before each range trip. The only issue I've had is a failure to go into battery five times with three different ammo brands. In fact, it happened twice yesterday while shooting some "hotter" ammo.

I have yet to figure out what is causing this. Since the GX4 is so small, and my hands are fairly large, my best guess is that my thumb is inadvertantly contacting the mag release button just enough to barely unseat the mag but not enough to eject it; however, I have yet to conclusively confirm that. I currently have the larger backstap installed. Before my next range trip I will install the smaller backstrap, to see if a slightly different grip position makes any difference.

Although I still carry the GX4 quite often, this issue is in the back of my mind. Even though five out of 1,600 rounds is only 1/3 of one percent, that's still less than 100% reliable, so it's a concern (at least for me). It's important to note that I am not blaming the gun; it could very well be ME that is causing this reliability issue. The GX4 is a fine firearm.
No mechanical device is 100 percent reliable. If you have a gun that has not malfunctioned, give it time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is true, but the question is how often, and if determinable, why?

The poster you replied two had two failure in a single session. That would strike me a worryingly often for a defensive gun.

No mechanical device is 100 percent reliable. If you have a gun that has not malfunctioned, give it time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
range rental guns almost never get cleaned and lubricated until they stop working . if you are worried about reliability get a revolver ,
and sometimes they don`t work either .--------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts