Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited five gun stores in Jax, FL this weekend on the hunt for my very first .41 magnum. If it weren't for a Blackhawk that I passed over then I would think they were all vaporware or unobtanium. I want the Taurus snub five shot and I'm pining for a S&W M58 of my own. NADA... As in nada one was found by me. There is a small gun show at a local armory coming soon and I'm going to try again. I know I'm going to join the .41 Magnum club at some point and I almost bought that Blackhawk, but she looked pretty rough. I hope I didn't just pass over a gem that just needed some polishing. For a cartridge that is always in the top ten dead listing, these sure are hard guns to find...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Sir, the 41's are real, the reason they are hard to find is because shooters that get them usually keep them. They are what they were designed to be. Larger than a 357, smaller than a 44 mag and able to equal a 44 mag with some loads. Had they came out 10 years earlier and been marketed a little different they would have probably caught on better. In guns like the Ruger Redhawk, and Blackhawk they shine. My Redhawk is scoped and with good loads has made one shot kills on several deer at well over 100 yards. In carry guns the ball of fire at night along with the muzzle blast would impress any bad guy to head for parts unknown. With heavy loads the smaller size guns have impressive recoil. You can load light bullets to some velocities that equal or exceed a lot of the old favorite calibers and still perform on impact. The 41 is alive and well, lot of shooters out looking for them. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The 41 mag. is the most powerful controlable ,SD cartridge in my book....and when loaded with heavier bullet ,it is a great hundgun hunting cartridge...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had to buy my 415 online, no hope of seeing one anywhere around here. Bud's has the 415. They are very painless to deal with especially if you can locate an FFL listed in "Green", no paperwork to mail to Buds.

415.jpg

I bought mine through Collectors Arms in Houston. They had it listed on their web site for I believe $465, I sent them an email asking them if they would take $415 for it. They answered in the affirmative. I picked it up the next time I went to work.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I own a S&W Model 57, and it's a fine, although large, handgun.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have bought from Bud's before, but would rather be able to check the details out before buying. But that is an idea.

I would take a 57 or 657, but my heart goes out for the 58.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pretty sure my buddy had one. Was his grandfathers service pistol back in the day.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have bought from Bud's before, but would rather be able to check the details out before buying. But that is an idea.

I would take a 57 or 657, but my heart goes out for the 58.
My trouble with Buds is the layaway. Oh thee of weak will! Getting ready to send you an email concerning a package heading your way!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I forget where I was looking up some load data and when I passed over the 41mag there in parenthesis it said (Obsolete). I wounded why, I guess now I know.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My trouble with Buds is the layaway. Oh thee of weak will! Getting ready to send you an email concerning a package heading your way!
Oh my... Will it be time to melt some lead this weekend and burn some electrons in digital picture taking?!?!?!?!?!?

My skin is itchy now...

·
Registered
239 Posts
The 41 mag a great rd ,better than the 44 in many ways ,BUT. DIRTY HARRY KILLED IT ~~~RR~~

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also like to paw before I buy. However, gunbroker.com usually has hard to find firearms. That is usually my first stop for pricing (figuring in S&H) and transfer fees. Then, off to the LGS. Nice to have what I can but it for. Usually, the LGS drops the price pretty quickly. Maybe not the the $, but I'll throw in a few bucks to keep a local person emplyed. Just not 30%.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Taurus did a run on a 3" Tracker recently, 4" model 425's are still readily available as well as 6.5 & 8 3/8 inch Raging Bulls (model 416). 2 & 2.5 inch SS model 415's seem to show up from time to time. The rarer .41 magnum Taurii are the 4 & 6 inch titanium Trackers (used ones are going for ALOT). Super rare are the titanium 2.5 inch model 415 and the stainless steel 6 inch Tracker. Good luck!

Coop

·
Registered
529 Posts
Albeit its not a Taurus,but it is a .41 Mag,and its alive and well.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew Ruger had made the Redhawk in .41 magnum but I never EVER see them for sale used.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CDNN Sports, Inc 2012-1 Catalog

Bottom right of page eight...

If it didn't have dang porting... I hate porting...

I wonder if it would be worth it to buy it, chop it, and re-cut the crown and re do the front sight... Dang stupid #@$%#@$ porting...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts