Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Police have a sixth sense on who to pull over. But 'inadiquate license plate lamp'? That's a bit of a reach if you ask me.

And it seems that sometimes they pile on the offenses. Granted he should not have been driving. They didn't say if he had a CC permit to allow him to have a gun in the car.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I find it odd that they did not charge him for inadequate license plate lamp. What a bogus stop.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Police have a sixth sense on who to pull over. But 'inadiquate license plate lamp'? That's a bit of a reach if you ask me.

And it seems that sometimes they pile on the offenses. Granted he should not have been driving. They didn't say if he had a CC permit to allow him to have a gun in the car.
They did not say what kind of permit he had but from the article it does state that he was legal to have the gun.

" Investigation revealed a Smith and Wesson semi-automatic .40 caliber handgun was legally possessed, but police say it was revealed that the loaded magazine contained nine rounds of ammunition, rather than the limit of seven rounds, as required by the SAFE Act."

I guess he was not "legal enough" for NY.

I hope this one is taken to the Supreme Court.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I find it odd that they did not charge him for inadequate license plate lamp. What a bogus stop.
They wouldn't have made that up just to pull him over. ;)

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
939 Posts
I wonder if you could carry 2,3 or more handguns with 7 rounds in each. Wouldn't that be legal? How does this law "prevent" "gun violence"? An I agree with some of the above posters, who gave them the right to search?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Have the left wing nuts written an bill yet that actually will reduce crime, and gun violence? I didn't think so.

What needs to happen is to get draconian automatic sentences for anyone that uses a gun in the commission of a crime. Anyone commit 1st degree murder using a handgun automatically gets life without parole, and this in in addition to what ever sentence they get for the actual crime itself.

Anyone who commits armed robbery with a gun should get an automatic 20 without parole in addition to the sentence for the crime itself. And in my opinion, the sentences can't be served concurrently.

I wonder if you could carry 2,3 or more handguns with 7 rounds in each. Wouldn't that be legal? How does this law "prevent" "gun violence"? An I agree with some of the above posters, who gave them the right to search?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
What needs to happen is to get draconian automatic sentences for anyone that uses a gun in the commission of a crime.
You have to be very careful with automatic sentances.
Suppose your self defence gets skewed toward "you had other options", you could get many years with auto sentances. Nope we still need judges in the loop.

What we do need is more people who carry on a daily basis.

In response to other comments in this thread:
Do the police have a 7 donut limit?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
You have to be very careful with automatic sentances.
Suppose your self defence gets skewed toward "you had other options", you could get many years with auto sentances. Nope we still need judges in the loop.

What we do need is more people who carry on a daily basis.

In response to other comments in this thread:
Do the police have a 7 donut limit?
I respectfully disagree. We need to keep judges out of the process.

No latitude; no discretion. You use a gun in the commission of a crime (any crime) and you get an automatic 25 years with no possiblity of parole or early release.

And I don't care if the offender is 13 or 93. The same sentence for everyone.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I respectfully disagree. We need to keep judges out of the process.

No latitude; no discretion. You use a gun in the commission of a crime (any crime) and you get an automatic 25 years with no possiblity of parole or early release.

And I don't care if the offender is 13 or 93. The same sentence for everyone.
While I like the idea of mandatory sentencing on paper, the problem arises when it gets put into practice. Sure roughly 99% of the people who got nailed with that +25 years had it coming when they robbed a convenience store, or shot some kid on the street, or did a car jacking. But what about all those people who got pulled into a self defense situation and wound up going to jail for it? It happens quite a bit, hell Massad Ayoob himself has written many articles dedicated to just this type of scenario and the many times he has personally witnessed this play out in court. And while I think a guy like Zimmerman is a complete idiot who helped create a situation that could have been avoided, does anyone here think he deserves 25 years???

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
OR one gun with 10-20 mags with 7 rounds each. If they saw me change a mag from a mag holder on a gun belt (and I'm just average) or attended an IDPA or USPSA match the gummint boys would wet 'em!! Extended slide release, drop free mags, count to 6 go for a tactical change or shoot to slide lock - got an extended lever on that too.

The dip swizzle rules don't mean a thing to someone looking to do bad deeds with guns AND who am I kidding - the BGs won't have 7 per mag anyway but Joe Citizen trying to protect himself had better!!! *SHEESH*

I'm down with using the full extent of the current laws - of which there are PLENTY!!

Tool Starting pistol Trigger
There's a potential 168 rounds in the pic at 7 per mag and none in the chamber.

·
Registered
939 Posts
They might start limiting an individual to carry only 1 or 2 magazines.... Here we go...another law coming our way to infringe our rights!!!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
They might start limiting an individual to carry only 1 or 2 magazines.... Here we go...another law coming our way to infringe our rights!!!!
Great lets make CERTAIN that the average guy is outgunned for self defense and that I'll be committing a felony if I'm taking a proper kit to a sanctioned match! (glad that I live in MO)

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
:icon_ laughup: Hee Hee Hee

1 - 20 of 27 Posts