Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this forum and I have just recieved my ccw permit. I have been debating on what my first pistol should be and after much research I have decided on the 24/7 pro c. I went to a gunshop yesterday and asked the dealer if he could order one for me. He informed me that 2 years ago Taurus made a very dependable pistol but for the past 2 years he has seen many reliability problems with Taurus pistols and he told me that his shop really hates dealing with Taurus period. He highly recommeded me to think of another pistol. Is what he told me really true? Has anyone had severe problems with their 24/7 pro c. Would you guys suggest making this purchase or should I rethink my decision??

·
Registered
275 Posts
Actually, the shops in my area have stated the opposite.
Taurus has changed for the better over the last few years.
Every shop here handles Taurus, some models sell faster
than they can be kept in stock.

Every once in awhile, I check the firearm auction sites
for used Taurus 24/7s, they are rarely found.

My 2 cents:
I'm not a dealer but I'd suspect that some dealers would
prefer that you spend 600 bucks instead of 350 at their store.

I'd recommend that you shop around at more than one dealer.
Manufacturers that build a lousy product don't stay in business very long.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
One shop where I go, has many brands, but when the distributor says he has a bunch of one type of Taurus in, he gets them to ship him as many as they will allow him to have. He seldom has much backup stock within a week of the shipments arrival.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Not a problem with my current 24/7 Pro .40 Taurus! What an awesome gun, what an awesome bargin.

·
22,058 Posts
I have 4 Taurus autos now. The lowest round count is about 150 on the 1911. I have had no issues with the new guns. I have several thousand rounds through my 24/7 longslide as I shoot it in competition. The gun is as it was when I took it out of the box. I shoot 3 or 4 hundred rounds in a match then clean it. I haven't noticed any abnormal wear or damge to the gun. I shoot light loads so I expect the gun to last longer and be maintenance free other than cleaning for higher round counts than normal.

If spending more money means quality well I quess Taurus has low quality.

Lemons do happen not just to Taurus guns.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both of my Taurus' handguns have functioned without problems since their purchases, and one was very well used before I owned it!

My only complaint had to do with feeding issues from a single magazine, and I'm pretty sure that was related to dropping that mag on the feed lips. A bit of tweaking and it is working just fine again...so no problems due to product, just shooter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2 of the 3 stores I shop at, the majority of the guys love Glocks. They also stock, and sell, many Taurus.

I have Glocks, RIA, SIG, Kimber, Ruger, Taurus, S&W, XD, Kahr, Keltec. The biggest pos I ever had was a G31 and a S/A 1911. But I still have products from those manf.

Anyone who makes a blanket statement that one manf is bad across the board is someone I would not listen to.

The guys at one store (all with Glocks on the hip, and, for some reason a snobbish tude about it) tried to talk me out of buying a 24/7 in 9mm. I wanted to try one. Of course, they said it wasn't as good as a Glock. That may be true, or not, but I can determine for myself.

There is no way I can be convinced that gun shop gurus don't get Glocks at half price or something like that.

·
Administrator
35,630 Posts
i suspect your dealer either has an axe to grind with Taurus, or has trouble getting stock. I have serious concerns about any dealer that won't show me any gun I want to see, or tells me "oh, you don't want that gun, they are junk". He should be more interested in putting you together with the gun you want.

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
Beware ye, the Gunshop Commandoes! Lest they turn ye into a Mall Ninja! Har Har! :D

I have two 24/7's, a PT92, a PT908, and had a PT945. All have been, and are, stellar performers. Have some 22,000 rounds thru that PT92. Reliability is one of Tauruses main sailiant features! Have had very good Accuracy as well!

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
When I went to buy my PT1911 they tried selling me the new S&W 1911 all tricked out for more than twice the price. I tried to engage the safety on the smith and it would not work only moved a little and did not stop the gun from fireing. I said no thanks i'll take the gun that works talk about embaressed.

·
32,737 Posts
Staff and members here have been purchasing these without complaint and are satisfied. If that weren't so we'd say so and that would be the norm if Taurus were actually having major problems.

Staff and members here,daily count onthe Taurus products to protect themselves and others. Fact,not hype or propaganda.
Hype and propaganda are what is seen routinely at the larger gun forums.

That's without real backup or fact to support the claims.

Just bought in the last month, two Taurus revolvers( models 66 and 82), and a Rossi 462. These guns were inspected and looked at closely observed prior to purchase. Any gun buyer would or should do that. That's why a lot of the supposed complaints mystify me. Had the actual inspection taken place the alleged troubles at the larger gun forums that are put forward would have been nipped in the bud, yet that was not done.

Not saying that new folks to shooting can't make mistakes. Just that those would normally be caught beforehand and are not.

Not to say Taurus or the prospective buyer didn't miss something. Just odd that so much that is obvious is completely missed by so many.

With all the new Taurus revolvers and the Rossi there have been no problems. Quality has been first rate. Can't speak on the pistols, but the cosensus by staff and members here has been positive for the most part.

Same for other gun forums as well.

At THR and at TFL actual Taurus and Rossi owners have been satisfied with their purchases. Small the threads they may be, but they are there for others to see.

New shooters also have a lot to learn about their gun. From stance,gripping the gun, trigger pressure and follow through, to a host of other variables that need to be considered,practice (the right kind), and keeping the proficiency are all to be considered.

Shooting is part art,science, experience,and training. Let any of those languish and one will not shoot well or understand things.

Many choose to let things go to that point. Many others do not.

So there are a host of things to consider on all this.

Some of the problems are self inflicted or not understood.
Mentors,experience,proper technique, and dedication can overcome all that.

Taurus has been recently praised and endorsed by many of the critical and picky gunwriters and instructors. This is true for the public at large as well. Not just here.

If there were a preponderance of evidence that Taurus was actually having troubles then it would show up all over the world and not mainly at gun forums.
People vote with their wallets and are more intelligent and smarter than given credit for. This wouldn't happen out there if Taurus products were total garbage.

We as a whole would not do it. Nor is expected from others to follow blindly or do stupid things that would get them or others killed. Maybe gravely hurt.

So if there is a bias towards Taurus and Rossi products it is because they do work and work well.

Not to say there aren't going to be some exceptions to that. There are for every gun company. I can go to any number of gun forums and bring back tales of true woe for any brand of gun. That includes the 'high priced spread' versions as well.

Hearsay and second hand stories without real backup just doesn't make the cut or pass the smell test. There's been a lot of that going around as of late. Have to take those with a grain of salt.

At this forum there are a lot of staff and members who own other brands,makes,and models of firearms. They are intelligent and smart. Picky and know what works for them and what doesn't. They pick only what really works for them.

There are others who have only Taurus products. They also know what works and what doesn't. For them they need to look no farther than Taurus or Rossi. These are intelligent and smart people as well.

All of them have good reasons to trust what they chose. That is still true.

I can bring dozens of links from the archives on the 24/7 or 24/7 C pistols.
All are not flattering, but the vast majority are. There are good reasons for this to be true.

Should one decide not to go with Taurus,fine. Use what fills the niche you need to feel. Trust is an issue, but not the main one.

Reliability,dureability,and proper fit and function are the primary considerations for any gun. This as well as does it fit the shooter.

Many here have older Taurus and Rossi guns that are over the 20 year mark and still going strong.

The recent Taurus/Rossi purchases I have made are working fine and show no deviation from that record.

You came here to find things out.We'd be happy to be of service.

What of anything of actual substance so you want to know about the 24/7s? I and others can bring a treasure trove of actual facts to bear on any aspect you wish to know about. Just ask.

The reading may take a while. But then research is always like that.

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Well said Qwiks :)

·
32,737 Posts
We're here in part to be of service.It's been about 24 hours since the start of this thread. Hope the guy shows back up.

One other thing others are already aware of and this very well may not be the case here. Probably isn't. No evidence so far of it.

There are those who come here seeking assistance,claim to get the Taurus, and then trash the gun. Not going down that road. No need to.

This is not a defensive gesture.Just an observation.

It's better to educate others and give them the benefit of the doubt unless actions have otherwise dictated.

Better to disseminate facts more than anything else and then let others make up their minds.

Like anything else, including the National Inquirer.... inquiring minds just have to know. LOL

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
I don't think other forums like are happy little family and sometimes send little trolls to stir things up. I'd rather talk about things that have a direct effect on our lives as we grow into a darker society. That has lost its way.I hope with simple conversation we might be able to make a difference. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, sorry it took so long to reply I have been really busy. Yea I understand that 1 dealers opinion shouldnt sway my opinion of the gun, after all, i have done alot of research and this is the gun I have decided on. I went to another gun shop today and he had nothing but good things to say about Taurus pistols. The dealer said that he could get me a 24/7 c in 9mm stainless for $379 +tax. Is this a good deal for this pistol, and if not what price range should I be looking for. Another question I have is about the online gun shop called buds gun shop. They have a 24/7 c on there for $340 and that includes shipping. Have any of you dealt with buds gun shop before. Do you suggest that I stick to dealing with gun shops face to face or is this website trustworthy. Once again, I appreciate all of the feedback and hope to hear from you all some more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
$379 is a little high IMO.
Check the auction sites, gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com

Sometimes Buds auction prices are better than their website prices.
But, once shipping and transfer fees are added it may be close
to the $379 price. You'll just be saving sales tax.

·
32,737 Posts
Budsgunshop.com has had a lot of members here,for that matter even at the larger gun forums, have had satisfied buyers.
Can't find anything nasty on him. Can't personally vouch for him either since I have not used their services.

There have been a few negative threads at other forums. When asked for specifics none or little that sounded right were forth coming.

IMHO I like to do face to face business and see the firearm up front. Kind of like buying a car. Have to inspect it,feel it, and look it over. Maybe even dicker with the store staff in diplomatic way to see if they'll come down on the price.

Plenty of other staff and members have bought guns at Gun Broker.com or others of it's type and had no troubles. Same can be said for Bud's.

It's still buyer beware though regardless how things go.

·
32,737 Posts
Just thought of something else.

While the internet gun forums can be a good source under some conditions, actually getting out and seeing things for yourself is more important.

Here's the reasoning. This gets you good experience. You can see and inspect the guns at gun shops or gunshows. And if the gun actually fits you then you can make a more informed decision.

Handling as many types or examples as one can just helps in the process.

Being able to shoot them if possible is even better. Renting a firearm or trying somebody elses.

At local gun ranges,stores, and clubs there are many who will offer to let another shoot their pride and joy. Got to get to know .454 Casull revolvers, .45ACP 1911s, and S&W pistols and revolvers that way.

Since the Taurus revolvers operated pretty much like the K frame revolvers I had no trouble getting used to the Taurus model 65 and 66. Same can go for some of the pistol models of various brands.

While gun forum opinion and facts are helpful there is nothing that can replace actually going out and experiencing these guns for real.

For example:

When I first started out in shooting in general I actually started at the low end of the spectrum. Owned several H&R rimfire revolvers and got the shooting basics down. Simplicity and the versatility of the revolver made learning and staying proficient an easier task over the pistols.

Also created a general reference library and read up on guns by the reputeable authors who've been there and done that. Mas Ayoob and Chuck Karwan's authoring the Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, any edition, were and are easy reads. Step by step revolver and pistol how to do it.

Had only a couple of books, but they were definitive works and some of the best authorities at the time. Still are.

Went on to graduate to pistols.

Have small stubby hands and fingers. Larger full size pistols just didn't fit. At the time, went with the the then new Ruger P95s. Fit and handled well over all the other brands. For me anyway. Still gave full size pistol performance.

Taurus was unheard of in my neck of the woods in the PT911 series. So Ruger it was. Had I been able to have access to more Taurus 911s and their kin, that is what I would have bought.

Haven't had any regrets with the Rugers in any way. Just the way things worked out.

The polymer pistols of Taurus and Ruger fit me better than even Glock or others of their ilk. Just one of those things.

When it was possible that CCW might be possible in my area I went and purchased a PT111 Millennium standard pistol. Could have made due with it, but wanted something that could chamber and fire a larger assortment of JHPs. The PT111 standard pistol I had wasn't up to the task. Others report no troubles feeding JHPs of their choice.

So I went with the PT111 Millennium Pro, have had excellent service from the gun, and never looked back.

This state never did get the CCW carry thing through the state senate.

Still hung on to the PT111 Pro knowing there's going to be round three on the CCW carry issue.

In the meantime I have a pistol that is about the size of a snubby revolver, but holds 12 rounds in a slim easy to carry package. Can answer late night knocks at the door and make the person outside unaware they can be covered ( never point the gun at the person or come close to it) or that I am armed. I don't open the door all the way or talk through a window. Never had real trouble here yet, but am ready if need be. All this in a none threatening way.

What I did do was go out and find a place that was accredited and had NRA basic gun courses. Between that, helpful IDPA shooters, and other kind folk I learned the fine art of shooting and taking care of a pistol.

Having others who are knowledgeable about these things and can actually impart them into a novice is a huge help and advantage. Especially if it's face to face.

Harder to do such things through the internet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once again thanks for all the input. Quiks draw it seems that you are very knowledgable and I appreciate you sharing it with me. Its funny that you mention the Ruger P95 because I have been debating between the p95 and 24/7 pro c. In the end I feel that the 24/7 c will be easier to conceal if needed. I have another kinda off topic question for you guys, I have been searching for an IWB holster for the 24/7 c when I purchase it. I came across high noon holsters and judging from what I have read they seem to be a quality holster. The only problem is that they dont have a holster made specifically for a 24/7 c so do you guys think that a holster fit for a Millenium Pro PT145 would fit or would you suggest me just getting a holster fit for a standard 24/7.

·
32,737 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts