Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, does any one know if there is a pistol caliper carbine on the drawing board for Taurus? I already own a 24/7 PRO in .40 and I love it, now if I were able to find a Carbine to use the same ammo, I would enjoy it. If it were made by Taurus, I would probably drool over it. If it were made by Taurus and used the same mags from my 24/7 and looked as sleek as the Berreta's CX4....I think I would be in heaven.
Any news on a Taurus carbine? or should I just go out and grab the CX4 and cut my losses? How can we bring the idea up to Taurus to see if they would build them...I am sure that if there is a way to show them that enough people were interested, they would jump right in, especially if there were a way to use the 24/7 lower so they didn't have to design completely new equipment to build 'em. Let's here some thoughts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think there is is a lot of demand for rifles in pistol cailbers. So, I'd say the chances of Taurus making one are basically nill.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i think one like the ruger pc carbines would be awesome. they use the same mags as the pistols in the same caliber. my cousin has a ruger in 40 and the carbine to match. I think its a great combo.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Yeah but ruger discontinued the pc rifles because lack of interest, pistol carbines are a great idea, but nobody has come around to them yet. Also the price needs to come down on them. Why get a pistol caliber carbine for $600 when for about the same price you can get a m4orgery? Although now people may come back to 9mm since it's now cheaper than .223.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recommend the PC4. They can be found for $400 new. Mine has taken the carbine category the last 4 outings on bowling pins (thanks also to Doubletap ammo!). I haven't had any issues with it.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The fact that you can use the magazines from the PC4 and PC9 respectively with their P-series pistol counterparts is a big plus for me. I swap between my PC9 and P95 9mms regularly.

If Taurus offered a reasonably priced 9mm/40 S&W carbine which could utilize PT92/99 and PT100/101 magazines for their respective calibers I'd certainly be interested.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
that would be sweet.. i'd love to see what taurus could come up with on an pistol caliber carbine.

i plan on getting a hi-point 995 and a ati after market stock once i get the money together.

·
Registered
663 Posts
fords4life said:
i think one like the ruger pc carbines would be awesome. they use the same mags as the pistols in the same caliber. my cousin has a ruger in 40 and the carbine to match. I think its a great combo.
Do you know the ballistics of the long gun as opposed to the short gun? (fps, etc.)

JimL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those of you that root for the underdog may enjoy this link, which is a 2002 Guntests article of the Ruger vs. Hi-Point carbines, and it includes ballistics data.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/documents/guntest.pdf

I am biased towards the Ruger, but I haven't tried the Hi-Point (yet). My PC4 has ghost rings (stock) so it never had all of the sighting issues described in the article, of course with the optics that I have on it, there aren't any issues at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I myself have a hipoint 995 9mm carbine within an ATI stock. It is amazing. That's all i can really say about it. Without even thinking about the cost, it shoots amazing. There's no need to reconcile with concessions such as "well it only cost half as much as this other gun so its performance is acceptable if you look at it that way"

joe sixpack- i'm always surprised when someone has to 'save up' for a hipoint. just stop eating for a few days and then you'll have enough lol

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I am one of those gun owners, with a serious budget problem! I also have a major love affair with the 9mm. I have looked at the Hi Point many times, due to its initial costs, and even with additional mags would not break the bank.

What sir does yours look like with the ATI stock, and what kind of costs would be involved. The look of the stock one, is probably the reason I have not pulled the trigger.

The high costs for a 357/38 or 45 colt rifle of any type has held me back from going that route, as I also have other guns in those calibers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Taurus already has/had a 30 carbine, it is a revolver model # 30Css12. They have been discontinued for about 4-5 years now but I'm sure there are some still floating around.

·
Administrator
17,688 Posts
Would love to have a Pistol Caliber Carbine that uses my 9mm and .45 ACP 24/7 Magazines. However, I actually fancy Carbines that use their own 30 round magazines. I have a Manchester Arms Mark 45 Carbine that uses Thompson SMG magazines. I also have a Marlin Camp 9 Carbine and the required S&W magazines for it. Wish I could get some sort of Magazine Body for the Camp 9 that would take the 9mm 24/7 magazines.

Manchester Arms Mark 45

As for the .30 Carbine, Taurus Tactical ready makes something very interesting, and with a few modifications and/or domestic manufacture, they could offer it in the USA.
olds442tyguy said:
I would like to see them offer their non military caliber Swiss Arms SG 551 reproductions. Currently they offer them in .30 Carbine, but I'm sure there are some better calibers they could use with out breeching their contract agreement with Swiss Arms.

A semi-auto FAMAE would be nice too, but I'd much rather have a SG 551 clone in some odd ball but not to uncommon caliber. Being Taurus, I'm sure they could pull it off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Robby said:
I am one of those gun owners, with a serious budget problem! I also have a major love affair with the 9mm. I have looked at the Hi Point many times, due to its initial costs, and even with additional mags would not break the bank.

What sir does yours look like with the ATI stock, and what kind of costs would be involved. The look of the stock one, is probably the reason I have not pulled the trigger.
I got by 995 brand new for $180 locally from a guy that I was gonna have transfer an internet 995, but then he told me he could get me one for cheaper.
Before I even found a 995 to buy, i already had purchased the ATI stock in preparation (for $50ish shipped), as well as 9mm ammo lol
install was easy, only a slight filing down of an area was needed.

here's a pic of what it looks like now. bipod, red/green dot, buttpad. shoots amazing, recoil is a soft nudge, 9mm already being a flat trajectory round, does splendidly out of 16.5" of barrel.
tis a poopy phone pic, but ever since my camera broke and i got into the gun hobby, i have the damnedest time trying to shell out several hundred for a camera when i could just as easily buy another gun or a bunch of ammo.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Taurus has made rifles in handgun rounds. They have had 38/357, 44, & 45. Rossi has also made them. Hi point & Beretta are the only ones I know of that have made a 40 rifle. I know the Hi point 995 9mm rifle is good, but I don't know about the 40.

·
Administrator
17,688 Posts
I like that ATI Stocked Hi Point 995 setup you have there, ThePBM! And yes, the 9mm shoots very nicely out of a Carbine Barrel !

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an HP-995 carbine and a Kel-Tec Sub 2000; both in 9x19. Personally I prefer the S2K over the HP. The S2K is much easier to field strip, is just as accurate, and it can utilize hi-cap mags.

I neglected to mention I have found the S2K to be more reliable than the HP.

Plus, my particular version of the S2K uses mags that are compatible with one of my carry pistols, which is a S&W Model 915.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would like to see them come out with a reasonably priced bullpup in 5.7x28 like FN. Now that would pique my interest.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Round here, the keltec costs twice as much as the HP carbine. hi cap mags are just a tad overrated to me.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I lean toward the Hi Point, as I only have one rifle 22, and one shotgun that I would shoot, a 410. The low initial cost, plus the availability of mags and other after market stuff, along with the life time warranty is a plus to me. Let alone I already have two other 9 mm weapons.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts