Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in starting to load 40sw shells. I would want to load fmj bullets. I have been buying remington from Dicks at about a little over 11 a case net price. After the initial cost of equipment. How much would it cost to load such shells my self? I think I would enjoy doing it, but only if it was cost effective. Any suggestions on set up equipment if indeed it is worth doing? I read the faq section but am always open to others experience. Also would a progressive loader be more efficient?
Harry

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've just got back into it myself. The set up, brass (esp. now) is what kils you. I've not really figured it out yet but in my opinion it's always cost effective. Not to mention you get a better bullet and a better group no matter what factory ammo you buy. If you take your time and do it right. It can very from gun to gun and calib. to calib. on the best powder and bullet, there is no magic bullet per say. I am still experamenting on my .40 and have asked advice from others here that have loaded and will try several powders but will stay with 180gr. bullet, just my choice.Years back had several friends that loaded also so we would swap a little powder or a few bullets to try different loads, made it nice and cheaper. Don't have that now, maybe you can try this. So I say yes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Excluding the initial setup (Press & dies), and if you just take your time to collect and save brass, you can load for about 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of quality new ammo. I generally can load .45 acp for about $ .10 - .11 each. I don't normally use FMJ bullets due to their high cost, instead I use "Moly" coated bullets from BearCreek Supply. They have the benefits of jacketed (no leading, no smoke from the lube, safe for indoor ranges), but without the cost (about 1/2 the price). Also, they cause less wear on the barrel.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yep harryk if you get into it and get you a case cleaner you can buy the stuff and use it to coat your own bullets with molley, besides cleaning your cases.
Go to a site called Midway USA.com and just look around at all the reloading stuff and everything else. I am not saying it's always the cheapest but just a good place to start lookin. I got some real good buys there on my digitial scale, case cleaner, etc. etc. by takin my time to build up my stuff and waiting for sales. My reload kit came from Cabelas, so if ya ain't rich and not in a hurry you can save allot on items and use that to buy the extras.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try to be frugal ( my wife says cheap ) when I can. Not in a big hurry and will take your advice. I see where the loading kits have powder disensers. Are they accurate or is that why you need the digital scale?
Harry

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes to a point to stay in safe and decent shot group area.
I just got into takin my time and dumping the 1st charge with the dispenser and then I trickle it to the exact point I want. Grant you this is by far not the fastest but I believe it's the most accurate. Like I say I never hurry I guess I got to much time on hands, this is the way I used to do it and the way I started back. It depends on you.
I got a Frankford Arsenal Micro scale from Midway cheap, it'll fit in your palm. Guaranteed to be accuate to + or - .1 grain and from my tests it's at least that.

·
Super Moderator
35,599 Posts
You can get bulk FMJ bullets pretty well as cheap as anywhere from http://www.midwayusa.com . I cast and casting your own bullets, if you have a good, cheap (mine's free) lead source really cuts down on costs. But, I think even buying JHP Winchester bulk from Midway, I was loading 9mm for about 5 bucks a box. I'm sure that's gone up a tad since component cost has been escalating and I've not bought anything in a while.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Your right NativeTexan prices are absurd on it all, from ammo to reload supplies, I wonder if they think if we can't buy ammo or even reload they might have their way with gun control.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought some reloads at dicks for about 8.00 a box and the seemed to do just fine. I also checked the price of supplies for reloading and it seems to me that I would spend nearly the same reloading as I would buying the reloaded ammo. Kinda defeats my purpose. Does someone see something I am missing? I am interested mainly in 40sw. The 9mm rounds are cheaper but that does me no good.
Harry

·
Registered
846 Posts
If your happy with that go ahead, it's the long term that you save money on. The press and first set up pays for its self in long run if you shoot enough. This is what I remember from years back, as I said just getting back into it myself. If I am wrong anyone please feel free to correct me. There is 7,000 grains of powder in a pound. Devide the amount of grns. of powder of the load you chose into that, that will give you how many rounds per pound you get. Divide that into the cost of the powder and that is the cost of that. Bullets, primers are easy to figure. Brass is not that is part of your first setup, if you save what you are shooting now, it's free. Primers are not as bad as the rest of all that has went up. Anyway sorry I typed to long, just like reloading, save your brass you can sell it, heck I'll buy it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I shoot at least once a week so I reload all my handgun ammo. As for reloading 40's the brass is plentiful which keeps the price down and the price of ammo just cheaps going up. You should be able to make 40 cal ammo for half the price of factory ammo. One thing when look for places that ship bullets usps bulk mail. It keeps the shipping price down which can add alot to the price of the bullets. I use a Lee turret press set up which will run about $150 with dies.
This press will load 150 to 200 rounds per hour. If you want really fast get a dillon press but that will set you back a lot more money. Mark

·
Registered
101 Posts
railroader said:
I shoot at least once a week so I reload all my handgun ammo. As for reloading 40's the brass is plentiful which keeps the price down and the price of ammo just cheaps going up. You should be able to make 40 cal ammo for half the price of factory ammo. One thing when look for places that ship bullets usps bulk mail. It keeps the shipping price down which can add alot to the price of the bullets. I use a Lee turret press set up which will run about $150 with dies.
This press will load 150 to 200 rounds per hour. If you want really fast get a dillon press but that will set you back a lot more money. Mark
I LOVE my Dillon!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alot of people don't like to reload the 40sw because of the high chamber pressure(30-40Kpsi) so you'll likely find plenty of brass on the ground. I load for this caliber so the brass is mostly free,pound of powder(14-18$) =couple thousand rounds and primers are 2.50 per 100. Buy in bulk and use lead bullets and the savings are considerable plus you get a better round. Buy Lee equipment to start and see if it's your bag......single stage press, beam scale, Lee dies and you'll save a bundle over other brands.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have already paid for the reuseable part of the ammo once( the brass). You can find plated bullets that are slightly more expensive than lead but much cheaper that jacketed. Once you find a bullet you and your gun like you can buy them in bulk (500-2000) which will bring the price down even more. I have a Lee turret 4-hole that came as a kit with a manual, scale, and a few other odds and end for about $100 plus a set of dies. It will probably take 1000 rounds or more before you make up your initial investment but you can make minor adjustments to you loads to better fit your gun, which is much cheaper than buying many types of factory ammo to try. The only thing I have found with Lee dies is the handgun dies seem to work great but I have had problems with stuck cases in the rifle dies. I have switched to RCBS rifle dies and not had any problems. It might just be me but I figured I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Another vote for Lee turret press kit, I think I paid 120 for mine +30 for the dies. Bullets & primmers are the main expense, primers about 0.03 a piece and bullets vary greatly, XTP will run up to .15 apiece, Berry Plated bullets run 0.06 apiece, slightly less for plain cast. You won't save any money, but will be able to shoot more.

It's easier to build up a stockpile of ammo when you can buy it by the piece, 1000 bullets one week, 1000 primmers & lb of powder the next.

I tend to go to heavier cast bullets to keep the velocity down to reduce any barrel leading, but heavier bullets cost more.

A truely progressive press would be great but the Lee Turret is worth the money and great way to get started. Get the kit that comes with the scale & auto-disk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The best thing I did was add the adjustable charge bar to the powder mesurer. Much easier than deciphering the disk charts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.