Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Is Panic Driving Used Gun Prices in Your State?

2K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  d78bronco 
#1 ·
Having decided I wasn't buying any guns at all ----- although there are a couple I want ---- until the "Feinstein-Obama" panic is over, I have not kept up with prices. But I have an old wheelgun I haven't used in years and took it down to the LGD who does consignments. I've used him before and he's fair.

Looked through the cases at handguns and AMAZED at what people want. Almost everything I saw, although used, was way over the current retail for new. For example, I saw a Glock 17 tagged for $200 MORE than I paid for mine new 3 years ago. I used a few other benchmark prices, and again everything was tagged at more than the cost of a new one.

Now, consignors do their own pricing, so the LGD put on whatever they want. On my old wheelgun, I told him I'd settle for $150 clear, as it was a beater and I was probably the 3rd owner anyway. So he says "let me tag it at $200. I can drop the price to move it, but you'll get more than you think. All of these are moving. People pay more than they should because they feel that guns are going away."

So I did. But all I want is $150, and that's all it's worth. The piece is NOT worth $200. This whole panic-driven crap is sure taking all of the fun out of shooting. How bad is it in your town?

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad enough... but, of course your analysis is based on the idea that the obama/feinstein gun panic will end. The inflated prices are based on the idea that the end will be either because of a total ban on gun sales or because there will be hefty taxes/penalties imposed on gun sales.
So who is right? Stay tuned and find out...

Reactions: Snug9mm and mwj999
#3 ·
The only things I've bought since the unpleasantness in CT have been a couple of CZ-75 compact mags from a dealer recommended on this forum (at a reasonable price, before they ran out) and another Taurus PT-92 from Academy for $329.99, which I consider a hell of a bargain, cheaper than the one I bought in 1985 adjusted for inflation. I've avoided gun shows because I know they'll be madhouses, so I've been blissfully unaware of price gouging on guns. Of course, a gun, like anything else, is worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

So what kind of old wheelgun is this, Chuck? There's no such thing as too many old wheelguns lying around.

#4 ·
When a Saturday Night Special like an R.G. 23 goes from the $51 that I paid a year and a half ago, to $120 last week, that tells me that things are crazy.
I bought a C.A.I. police turn-in Taurus m80 for $128 last July. They're over $225 now and aren't as nice as the one I got. I just checked both G.Broker and G. Auction. They're all gone, even at those prices.

#5 ·
I am lucky enough that I live only a few miles from a FFL that has told me on numerous occasions that he will NOT raise his prices because of this mess. I only wish every one was this way. I was able to get some winchester white box 556 ammo there yesterday for $10 a box!!! With all the ammo gouging that is a steal! I am on gunbroker all the time and I will say some of the prices scare me.

#6 ·
I don't know that I would call it panic, but demand certainly drives prices up, and there's a LOT of demand. Panic is something you do that tends not to make sense, and I think what we're seeing in the gun market right now makes perfect sense. It also makes sense to put off 'discretionary' purchases until the prices come back down - and they will.

#9 ·
I assume it is I haven't gotten a brand new gun since the buying panic set in. I wish the few I've sold on gun broker the past year I would of kept till now though... Sold a Wasr 10/63 to a buddy for 350 bucks acouple years ago and a Polish tantal 6 months ago for 500...

#10 ·
The LGS that I usually use has not changed their prices very much but they are limited in what they can get for you at the moment. They are a low volume store so before this craze started they were usually about $125 to $150 more than you could pick one up from the big box stores. However there is one store that has really marked p the prices about 40% over what they used to charge and his ammo has doubled. Unfortunately people are scared are are throwing money at him as fast as they can.

#11 ·
The dealer I shop the most at gun shows only had a small increase in price on both new and used, his selection on new is way down, and his selection on used was pretty good.

Right now the good deals I see are on the older used rifles and revolvers.

#12 ·
With the price of new guns, used guns look a lot better to a lot of people. Plus, used guns are in stock

Reactions: Lance0812
#13 ·
The large LGS in my town had a lot of overhead almost expecting this to happen. He had AR's for under $900 then the election and suddenly everything is either $1000 for AK's or $1300 and up on AR's even SKS's are $599. He's probably made a couple million bucks in the last few months. I was there to pick up batteries for a surefire flashlight. And saw guys in their 50's laying down big money for a couple of AR's. It was obvious that they had no experience with them. And ammo was through the roof but people were buying it. I played this game once and bought all I needed and then some so I still have enough for me to defend myself and family.

#14 ·
Around here since '08, used guns have been getting bought up low and resold somewhat high. The most recent panic has all but emptied the once full glass cases of used handguns. New gun prices seem to have been stable and there seems to be a slight recovery in the inventory locally. There are even some ads in the "free classified" papers offering to come in and buy up guns that people don't want or got left behind by death or divorce. I wonder how THAT business is going?

#16 ·
The used market is smok'n hot. Especially in a state like ours where face to face, cash & a shake is all you need (for now). People are afraid the goobermint will mandate a rectal exam, mental exam, stress test and personality evaluation shortly. I see no reason to doubt them. If congress won't pass that, Obama will mandate it by royal fiat. Remember, guns like the raging bull, blackhawk, etc will be outlawed by the demoncarps. (too heavy of all things!)

#17 ·
The used market is smok'n hot. Especially in a state like ours where face to face, cash & a shake is all you need (for now). People are afraid the goobermint will mandate a rectal exam, mental exam, stress test and personality evaluation shortly. I see no reason to doubt them. If congress won't pass that, Obama will mandate it by royal fiat. Remember, guns like the raging bull, blackhawk, etc will be outlawed by the demoncarps. (too heavy of all things!)
lol, if that was the case I wouldn't wipe my arse for like three days before my exam!!

#18 ·
Used gun prices are going through the roof. Armslist Ohio is an example. 9mm High Points for $275-350, used Glocks $750-1000, and that's just two examples. Not going to get better anytime soon!

#19 ·
The crazy prices are going on here as well, but seems to be ebbing back down. Everyone and their brother is asking $1800 for their M&P Sport they payed $600 for. I just don't have any way to gauge what people are actually paying for stuff. Just because people are asking stupid prices, doesn't mean people are paying them.

#21 ·
Won't find me anywhere near a LGS until things settle down.The stores I have been going to are not gouging their customers,that I am aware of.I know supply and demand is at odds here,but damn. If I am looking at anything it will be a rifle at Walmart like a Savage axis or Ruger 77 where the prices have not changed. I am mainly saving as much as possible and purchasing wisely instead of worrying about shortages etc.

#22 ·
I've visited a few LGS' this week. For the most part, their prices are a bit higher than pre-madness, mainly because their
suppliers have raised their prices due to demand. I have seen a few instances of outright gouging though. One Gun/Pawn
shop has a DPMS AR that WM was selling (pre-frenzy) for less than $800 that they have marked up to $2k. Another shop
has a stock no-name AR on consignment that the owner is asking $3500 for.

#23 ·
I am pleased to say that my LGS sells guns and ammo for what they pay for it in bulk orders. Firearm prices haven't changed one bit. His shelves and racks are largely bare, unfortunately. But he is honest.

#25 ·
I haven't checked on the recent prices of AKs and ARs, but the handgun prices in my three most frequently visited firearm dealers have not increased in my area here in northwest Mississippi.

#26 ·
I check my local ArmsList daily. About two weeks before the Newtown shooting, I happened on a used PT92 stainless at a good price but that kind of thing ain't happening now.
In recent days I've seen a Taurus PT145 and a PT111, each priced at $450.00. (Paid $330.00 for my last PT111 in April 2012.)
Prices are even more ridiculous on Evil Black Rifles.

To answer the OP question: When a seller lists at a vastly inflated price, it's greed. When a buyer pays a vastly inflated price, it's either panic or ignorance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.