Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing around the idea of buying an AR for a few weeks now. LGS has a Bushmaster combo (carbon 15 I think) for $750. They also have a DPMS (I forget the exact model but its the entry) for $850. I believe its a combo as well.

Now I'm not going to fire off 10k rounds a year with this thing either, more like 1-2k Max. Ill be reloading as well.

Is now the time to buy? Doesn't sound like the price is going to drop any time. I've always wanted one but never could afford one, but now I can. Not to mention I can stretch it over 6 months no problem. ;) Also don't mind upgrading subpar parts either.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Both are quality weapons and honestly don't need much upgrading, just accessories you want to add. Those prices are pre-hysteria prices and no, they will not be getting any cheaper any time soon. If you are comfortable with getting one, I would. You never know...

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I concur with ccviper, those are pre hysteria prices and you should buy.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Some people continue fair pricing practices - shop carefully and you should do fine. Sporticals sold for as little as $600 with no optics and S&W M&P were close to that as well - never to be seen again as the gun gained in popularity. If the DPMS is a Sporticle or Oracle with optics Thor prices are fair!

The Bushmaster may be the better bargain of the two. Check features and compare. Both will be good shooters for years to come. I use my DPMS in multi gun competition - works like a charm!

·
Registered
549 Posts
You might get less "gun", sights etc with the DPMS. But I think personally it's a bit more of a reliable brand. If its the rifle I'm thinking of, and at that price, I'd buy it, buy some battle sights and call it a day! I just bought my 2nd Stag and the shop in town just brought in a DPMS AR10 ill probably pick up this week!

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
You might get less "gun", sights etc with the DPMS. But I think personally it's a bit more of a reliable brand. If its the rifle I'm thinking of, and at that price, I'd buy it, buy some battle sights and call it a day! I just bought my 2nd Stag and the shop in town just brought in a DPMS AR10 ill probably pick up this week!
Or you could build one; that's fun.

I saw a Sig AR10 at a LGS and then I saw $1,800 and kept walking. It was nice though.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The DPMS is Model RFA3-OC.

The LGS I use has had the most fair pricing of any place. Barely any price increase ($10 on a $750 gun) and ammo is about $1-2 more per box than before. They get 90% of my business.

I'll go hold both and chat with the salesmen there and take it from that point. Glad to know these are NOT (sorry) the Hi-Points of AR's.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
DPMS makes a huge variety of guns and quality components. You are looking at the ENTRY LEVEL guns by both companies.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/556-ORACLE_ep_135-1.html is the gun you are looking at. MSRP $739. There are many thousand of guns at this spec level shooting well every day.

have fun at the LGS. Sounds like you ought to bring one home!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DPMS makes a huge variety of guns and quality components. You are looking at the ENTRY LEVEL guns by both companies.
Whoops. Last post should have said are NOT the Hi-Points. Stupid iPad auto corrected me incorrectly.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Whoops. Last post should have said are NOT the Hi-Points. Stupid iPad auto corrected me incorrectly.
There have been books published with smart phone/pad auto corrections that were sent/posted. Here's my Sportical (new scope now but the basic idea):
DPMS 0712.jpg

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
At this point in our history I would say that anyone who does not have a AR, AK or similar weapon in their possession is either a flaming lib or has little grasp of the situation facing us. THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE OUR GUNS AWAY.

One a side note. I'm keeping track of the gougers among the local gun, ammo dealers in my area. When/if things get back to some semblance of normal I will never darken their doors again.

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
I have the DPMS Oracle that I paid 650 for in Dec 2012 Great gun and fun to shoot. Check Cabelas for one of these as they are priced at pre idiocy prices. Not connected with Cabelas

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
A lot of the larger stores have not raised their prices drastically. I have seen AR's at Cabela's and Gander MTN for prepanic prices.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Was at gander Mt. last night and they had a carbon 15 .223 in stock for 849.00 I think they only had one. The salesman said it was in the back and wanted to know if I wanted to check it out. I told him no because I was afraid I would buy it. Would love one but don't want to charge it and I didn't have enough cash to take it home. Ill keep saving and try to snag a deal on one this coming year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts